Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f137/)
-   -   Good all-season/winter tires on OEM SRT8 rims? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f137/good-all-season-winter-tires-on-oem-srt8-rims-51965.html)

ItsAJeepThing 12-23-2012 11:04 PM

Good all-season/winter tires on OEM SRT8 rims?
 
I bought a set of OEM Jeep SRT8 rims (staggered) to use as a winter set. I want to run 265/45/20 front and 295/40/20 rear. I have been searching around for some tires. I am leaning towards Toyo proxes st2 tires, but can't find them anywhere for a good deal (new or used). Not trying to spend $800 on tires that I will use for only 2 or 3 months. Maybe somebody can recommend some winter or all season tires that don't cost an arm and a leg?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

viking757 12-24-2012 01:36 PM

Re: Good all-season/winter tires on OEM SRT8 rims?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsAJeepThing (Post 728341)
I bought a set of OEM Jeep SRT8 rims (staggered) to use as a winter set. I want to run 265/45/20 front and 295/40/20 rear. I have been searching around for some tires. I am leaning towards Toyo proxes st2 tires, but can't find them anywhere for a good deal (new or used). Not trying to spend $800 on tires that I will use for only 2 or 3 months. Maybe somebody can recommend some winter or all season tires that don't cost an arm and a leg?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

A lot of guys run blizzaks for winter but they are expensive. I am probably going to grab the Continental DWS for my next all season tire

Scottina06 12-24-2012 02:25 PM

Any good all season is gonna cost a good amount. I like the nitto420s

ItsAJeepThing 12-24-2012 04:56 PM

Re: Good all-season/winter tires on OEM SRT8 rims?
 
I have nitto 420s on my 22s. Any idea how they handle in snow? A member was selling a used set of nt420s in the size that I could use and he is in NY.

Scottina06 12-24-2012 07:21 PM

I have had 0 problems in the light snow weve had here in ky. No idea about anything more than 3-4" though.....sorry.

ItsAJeepThing 12-26-2012 12:03 AM

Re: Good all-season/winter tires on OEM SRT8 rims?
 
When we had our first snow here in NYC (end of october or beginning of november), I went out for a ride and the jeep fish tailed a little if I stepped on it. Thats with the 22s and nt420s. Breaking wasnt that good either (tires have about 5 or 6k miles with lots of thread left). So I have no clue how they will handle in a lot of snow. Plus the winter has been weird in NYC for the past 2 years, so I have no idea how much snow we will get this year or if we get any at all. Last year we had snow for 1 day and only about 2 or 3 inches. I have been checking CL, Ebay, tires shops and have no luck in finding decent used tires for a fair price. All tires shops want over $200 for TOYOs. The cheapest TOYO ST2 s I found were around $140 a piece, but after shipping came out to $800 for the set.

MikeBoom 12-26-2012 09:21 AM

Re: Good all-season/winter tires on OEM SRT8 rims?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by viking757 (Post 728481)
A lot of guys run blizzaks for winter but they are expensive. I am probably going to grab the Continental DWS for my next all season tire

I have a mere Overland V8 (:o), but not so long ago I owned a Subaru STi with the Conti DWS tires that I used year-round in northern Illinois and Wisconsin. They're excellent all-around tires, with what I'd peg as about 80% of the winter capability of a dedicated snow/ice tire. If they're available in the size(s) you need, I'd give them high marks.

viking757 12-26-2012 04:22 PM

Re: Good all-season/winter tires on OEM SRT8 rims?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeBoom (Post 728887)
I have a mere Overland V8 (:o), but not so long ago I owned a Subaru STi with the Conti DWS tires that I used year-round in northern Illinois and Wisconsin. They're excellent all-around tires, with what I'd peg as about 80% of the winter capability of a dedicated snow/ice tire. If they're available in the size(s) you need, I'd give them high marks.

Fantastic! Thank you for the insight, it is much appreciated:)

ItsAJeepThing 12-26-2012 08:17 PM

Re: Good all-season/winter tires on OEM SRT8 rims?
 
So i found a set of TOYO PROXES ST2s for a good price.
To the members who owned these tires, what is your feedback on them?
How long do they last, how good do they handle in snow? Are they worth the money? What size did you go with (if you had them on the SRT wheels)?
Planning on ordering them tomorrow. All the websites that sell toyo tires say that 265/45/20 have a 420AA thread, the site where i found the toyos say 280AA. Do you think its a miss-print? I will call them tomorrow to make sure.
If it is a miss-print, I will be ordering them.
265/45/20 Front & 295/40/20 Rear.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community