Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Merry Christmas! disable key fob trick... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/merry-christmas-disable-key-fob-trick-52006.html)

surfWK2 12-25-2012 02:39 PM

Merry Christmas! disable key fob trick...

Hi everyone, I just figured out how to disable the key fob to leave it in the car when swimming, biking, ect...Take your key out off the fob and bring with you then wrap your fob in aluminum foil. Locked in the glove box or hard to find areas is a lot safer then hiding your keys outside your vehicle when surfing (: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

LogicNow 12-25-2012 03:07 PM

Re: Merry Christmas! disable key fob trick...

You can skip the tin foil. When I went to the water park and just wanted to pin the key inside my suit, you just have to lock the fob in the car. After the 3rd time, the car lets you lock it inside (the first couple you lock the door, close and it will unlock/honk, repeat several more times and it will stay locked).

GBJeep 12-25-2012 05:28 PM

Good to know both of these ideas! Had this issue yesterday when the wife & I went to the local park to do some trail walking after too much Christmas Eve dinner:)

kkreit01 12-26-2012 10:20 AM

Or, you can push the black exterior handle button while closing the door. This will lock everything without a warning. The wife found this out the hard way.

turbospartan 01-02-2013 05:40 PM

Or you can slide the actual key out of the fob (little switch on the end) and put the fob inside of the gas cap "area". It won't unlock anything from inside of there, and you then only have to carry the small little key (which can get wet, etc.).

surfWK2 01-02-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbospartan (Post 731628)
Or you can slide the actual key out of the fob (little switch on the end) and put the fob inside of the gas cap "area". It won't unlock anything from inside of there, and you then only have to carry the small little key (which can get wet, etc.).

I tried that too but it did not work with my one-touch door entry system, so the layered tin foil is the most discrete way of locking my keys inside when I am out in the water.

Findirman 01-03-2013 12:42 AM

Placing the key fob in the gas cap area allows opening the door with the one touch entry system.

jorsr 01-03-2013 12:57 PM

I put an extra key in a hitchsafe that locks into the hitch receiver

JMP8562 01-06-2013 01:53 PM

Thanks, got to try this

bdesmp 01-06-2013 03:53 PM

Or...

1. Lock the jeep with the fob or by the door handle;
2. open the driver door by the handle or with the fob;
3. remove the metal key from the fob;
4. put the keyless fob in the cabin;
5. lock the driver door with the metal key.

No alarm when closing the door or opening the door with the key. After that the fob is not detected if someone pulls on a door handle. Works on my 2011 Laredo X.

vr0ck 01-07-2013 01:20 PM

This is good info to know! Haven't had a need to do this yet. Thanks all!

Ziggyia 02-08-2013 02:39 PM

Or just take the whole thing swimming with you. Found out by forgetting it in my pocket. Still works like a charm! :)