Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Service Manual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/service-manual-52035.html)

STEVE868088 12-26-2012 05:11 PM

Service Manual

Hi

New to this the forum, I own 2002 Grand Cherokee Oveland original owner 85000 mi. I took it in for service the other day , they wanted to flush the transmission, install new breakes (PADS AND ROTORS), said they needed to replace axle seal wanted to install axles and new hubs (because they said you can't remove the hub from the axle) and install new engine belt. all for $4000.00. Didn't do the work. Gona do some of it myself.

I haven't been under the car yet to check the for the leaking seal, but have been on the web checking some of the uTubes showing how to replace rotors and pads dosn't look too difficult. Also some of the vidoes show hubs being replaced fairly easly using a BMH.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to a service manual other than the manufactures manual, is there other manuals as good explaining the proper steps and proceedures to service this vehical.

I have no noise from the front of the vehical so I don't under stand why they want to replace axles and hubs? Anybody got a hint?

Thanks for reading this.

Steve

SnoFire 12-26-2012 05:20 PM

Re: Service Manual

Welcome to JeepGarage!! Please take a look or post in the WJ section of the forum.

Frango100 12-26-2012 07:14 PM

Welcome to the garage.
Any reason you don't want the factory service manual? I'm using it and am very happy with it. You can fairly easy download it from the web, just do a search on google or so. There are free manuals and some where you have to pay a bit.
Front brakes are easy to do. Your front rotors are probably warped? I think in 2002 they changed from the Teves calipers to Akebono, which should give at least less problems of warping.
You should have a look at the front drive shaft CV joint boots, they normally dry out and and open up and all grease will go out/dirt going in. As far as i know you can remove the hubs without destroying them.
Regarding flushing the transmission, the opinions are divided. The good thing of a flush is that most of the fluid will be changed, whereby when you just drop the pan, you won't get the fluid out of the torque converter (around 4 qts). But some people had bad experiences after a flush. To my understanding the problem is that fresh fluid has strong cleaning properties and would remove accumulated dirt and bring it to places where you don't want them to be. Best is to keep the services at the right intervals, so that no dirt buildup occurs.
Serpentine belt is very easy to change, use a Goodyear Gatorback for a quiet run.

STEVE868088 12-26-2012 08:09 PM

Frank

Thanks for the reply. will try google.

Steve

Milous 12-26-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STEVE868088 (Post 729065)
Thanks for the reply. will try google.

If you can't find it let me know. It should be a PDF with 2,235 pages.

LionheartUK 12-29-2012 04:52 PM

try:

http://db.tt/jzv0dafa

AMSOIL_Dealer 12-31-2012 06:48 PM

The best way to change the trans fluid is to drop the pan change the filter and if able drain the torque converter. Not all are accessible without removing the trans though. I know of a buddy that will disconnect the line to the trans cooler and start the vehicle and let it pump the fluid out, then drop the pan replace the filter and refill. You have to be careful doing it this way though will do more harm running dry and takes at least two people.

tomstromie 01-01-2013 10:39 AM

I have an air wrench (to make taking off and putting back on the wheels easier) and it took me 2.5 hours to replace all four rotors and 4 sets of pads on my Liberty. The parts from one dealer totaled about $350. Another dealer wanted $1,200 for parts and labor - which even the dealer where I bought the parts thought was out of line.

It's generally not a difficult job and there are plenty of youtube videos on the job. The biggest problem I ran into was one of the rotors was stuck and I had to use about 3 minutes of heat from a propane torch to loosen it up.

I question whether you really need new rotors. It may be your benefit to use a caliper to measure the thickness of the rotors before replacing them. I also see little benefit to turning the rotors if they are not replaced.