Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   HELP! Headlight and turn signal problem after HID upgrade (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/help-headlight-and-turn-signal-problem-after-hid-upgrade-52083.html)

Pyro515 12-27-2012 06:12 PM

HELP! Headlight and turn signal problem after HID upgrade
 
Hey guys,

I think I just blew up my jeep :confused:

First time poster, but I've read a ton on this site. I bought a 2008 hemi limited about a month ago and I'm in the process of converting the headlights to factory 2008 HID housings. I bought the factory lights off eBay and I bought a triple capacitor HID relay harness from dxhid off of one of the recommendations here. I read the two how-tos threads about 20 times. I wired everything up, hooked everything up and now my electrical system is screwed.

The low beam hids are working great, but now my passenger side high beam doesn't work. Also my driver side turn signal doesn't work, doesn't flash, and my passenger side rear light is really dim, and doesn't flash.

So I figured I screwed something up, so I undid all of my work and returned back to stock, and the same thing is happening, passenger side high beam is out turn signals are not working correctly, but one new thing, my driver side low beam is out.

I am really really scared that I just totally hosed my jeep's electrical system. Any help or insight is totally grateful, I am just really scared that I couldn't return it back to stock. This is my only vehicle and I'm worried that I'm really screwed.

What I can't figure out is why? It doesn't make sense to me that the new hids were working great and the rest of the lights are not, they are still using the stock wiring which is not altered. Not sure how I could have screwed it up.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Mike

Jordan's Jeep 12-28-2012 12:33 AM

Re: HELP! Headlight and turn signal problem after HID upgrade
 
Did you disconnect the battery?

Pyro515 12-28-2012 07:46 AM

Re: HELP! Headlight and turn signal problem after HID upgrade
 
Yes I disconnected the battery. I just disconnected it for the entire night with a slim hope of resetting everything, no dice.

Currently everything is back to stock, and my driver side low beam and high beam are out, my passenger side high beam is out. My driver side turn signals have lights, but don't blink and my passenger REAR light doesn't work.

I didn't even do any work on the rear of the vehicle. Its all very strange, I'm assuming I somehow blew a fuse, but I can't find one that would affect all of these weird issues.

My only thing now is to take it to the stealership and see if they know anything. I'm afraid that's going to be quite expensive though. :(

Anybody else have any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

robpp 12-28-2012 12:32 PM

Was battery disconnected when you were doing the install?

Front and rear blinker sound like a fuse.

There are relays for all the headlights.....go to wkjeeps and find every fuse or relay related to lights and check them.

If you touched stuff with the battery connected most likely you smoked the
FCM. headlights always have power and if you touched them live I would bet FCM.



Its a good note to all how important it is to undo the battery ground before touching anything.

GL

SvenskaJeepGuy 12-28-2012 12:57 PM

Re: HELP! Headlight and turn signal problem after HID upgrade
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 729644)
Was battery disconnected when you were doing the install?

Front and rear blinker sound like a fuse.

There are relays for all the headlights.....go to wkjeeps and find every fuse or relay related to lights and check them.

If you touched stuff with the battery connected most likely you smoked the
FCM. headlights always have power and if you touched them live I would bet FCM.



Its a good note to all how important it is to undo the battery ground before touching anything.

GL



like rob said, always disconnect the battery when doing electrical work. you could have potentially fried the very expensive FCM

Pyro515 12-28-2012 04:23 PM

Re: HELP! Headlight and turn signal problem after HID upgrade
 
From what I've read about the FCM, it sounds like my problem. I definitely had the battery disconnected when I was installing stuff, but I did have it connected when I was trouble shooting. I'm sure that probably made the problem worse.

I took it to the dealership this morning to diagnose it. I guess I will see if they agree, but it does sound like the FCM.

Lesson learned!! Lol.

Thanks for the help, guys,

Mike

Scottina06 12-28-2012 04:38 PM

Did you plug the oem lamps from your jeep into the headlight housing? Or did you try to use the ones on the lamp?

jdchamp31 12-28-2012 05:46 PM

I believe that I can shed some light on this issue. I had a very similar experience when installing HIDs on my 2010 Grand Cherokee when I had it. We did the work and something must have shorted causing a very similar problem to the one you are describing. We went backwards reversing everything and were unable to get it resolved. My Jeep dealer is not only owned by a family friend but they are my customer as well. I very rarely pay for parts or service even when I screw something up LOL.

The service manager ended up having my FCM (Front Control Module) replaced under warranty and it resolved the issue instantly. When I decided to be a gluten for punishment and went to install HIDs again we used a relay kit and all went well. The HIDs worked perfectly up until the day I faded in for my 12. Hope this helps.

Pyro515 12-28-2012 07:48 PM

Re: HELP! Headlight and turn signal problem after HID upgrade
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 729743)
Did you plug the oem lamps from your jeep into the headlight housing? Or did you try to use the ones on the lamp?

I followed your how tos. I used the wiring harness from the Non-Hid lights with the relay harness.

Pyro515 12-28-2012 07:52 PM

Re: HELP! Headlight and turn signal problem after HID upgrade
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdchamp31 (Post 729755)
I believe that I can shed some light on this issue. I had a very similar experience when installing HIDs on my 2010 Grand Cherokee when I had it. We did the work and something must have shorted causing a very similar problem to the one you are describing. We went backwards reversing everything and were unable to get it resolved. My Jeep dealer is not only owned by a family friend but they are my customer as well. I very rarely pay for parts or service even when I screw something up LOL.

The service manager ended up having my FCM (Front Control Module) replaced under warranty and it resolved the issue instantly. When I decided to be a gluten for punishment and went to install HIDs again we used a relay kit and all went well. The HIDs worked perfectly up until the day I faded in for my 12. Hope this helps.


Yeah I just heard from the dealership, they are replacing the FCM module. Now comes the decision time, do I try the HID conversion again or just leave well enough alone. Its good to hear that you tried it again and it worked out ok.

Decisions, decisions, decisions... LOL!

jdchamp31 12-28-2012 09:36 PM

Always a tough call to make and I don't want to advocate you one way and have you blow out your computer again!!! If memory serves me right when we did the hookup we used something called a gold relay kit. After that was installed all went well and they worked great.

SvenskaJeepGuy 12-28-2012 09:43 PM

Re: HELP! Headlight and turn signal problem after HID upgrade
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyro515 (Post 729808)
Yeah I just heard from the dealership, they are replacing the FCM module. Now comes the decision time, do I try the HID conversion again or just leave well enough alone. Its good to hear that you tried it again and it worked out ok.

Decisions, decisions, decisions... LOL!

The new one will be covered under warranty, i say try it again and be more careful


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community