Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Dumbbell needs tire advice (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/dumbbell-needs-tire-advice-52084.html)

RedCloud 12-27-2012 07:35 PM

Dumbbell needs tire advice

Life is taking me to Montana, so the 05 Wk is going to need some tires suitable for the winter. Of course, money is an issue, but I don't want to be so cheap that I pass up a much better tire for only a little more $....Right now I'm leaning toward the Hankook Dynapro AT RF10...but been reading a lot of your comments about the Destination A/T's and Duratracs, but they're a lot more dough. Are they going to be that much better in snow and generally crappy conditions? While we're at it, should I go with 245/65/17 or bump it a little to 245/70/17? I realize some tires may not be available in a certain size. My Wk is stock, and it's RWD. Can't afford anything else right now.

Thanks for all your help and insight. This place is awesome!
:thumbsup:

06HemiLtd 12-28-2012 08:37 AM

Re: Dumbbell needs tire advice

This is from Tire Rack. It lists their all-terrain tires in order based on customer reviews. The Firestone's have been at the top or near the top for 5 years. Here you go... Consumer Survey Results By Category

tfranzone 12-28-2012 10:50 AM

I also saved a little dough.. but didnt even look at it this way when
I bought my tires.. just decided I wanted them...Cooper Discoverer AT3's. they are great on road and off.. and actually a little more aggressive than the Destination ATs, IMO.

They get great reviews.. have been getting more buzz than the Firestones in performance of mud and slush. and are also near silent on the highway.. (not saying the firestones are bad.. people love them.. but the coopers have been amazing for me and I think its an extremely under the radar top AT tire.)

I think I paid like 650 mounted and balanced for 4 of them. but that was also in size 265/70.

check em out.

Lucas J 01-08-2013 10:14 AM

Duratracs are amazing in the snow. They will probably be my next tire unless i go with the MTR's.

tfranzone 01-08-2013 01:32 PM

Lucas, I love the look of the Dirtytracs!
If I were getting new tires it would probably be either those or Nitto Trail Grapplers.. those suckers are beefy!
Sadly, I wont be needing new tires for quite some time.. Cooper AT3s went on only this past June..about 8-10K miles ago.

a user, Shmidii, had nitto trail grapplers on xd cranks.. and damn, they looked good.

http://static.zoovy.com/img/westkycu..._nttrg_002.jpg

Lucas J 01-08-2013 01:38 PM

The Nittos are nice. Coop absolutely loves his. I am thinking about some 305/70/17's when the SL goes on.

tfranzone 01-08-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucas J (Post 734584)
The Nittos are nice. Coop absolutely loves his. I am thinking about some 305/70/17's when the SL goes on.

DAMN! can't wait to see that!... your WK is gonna be unreal nice. Good luck with it all!

antsjeep 01-08-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucas J (Post 734584)
I am thinking about some 305/70/17's when the SL goes on.

good thing you have a hemi to get those things rolling! ;)

croth 01-09-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedCloud (Post 729401)
Life is taking me to Montana, so the 05 Wk is going to need some tires suitable for the winter. Of course, money is an issue, but I don't want to be so cheap that I pass up a much better tire for only a little more $....Right now I'm leaning toward the Hankook Dynapro AT RF10...but been reading a lot of your comments about the Destination A/T's and Duratracs, but they're a lot more dough. Are they going to be that much better in snow and generally crappy conditions? While we're at it, should I go with 245/65/17 or bump it a little to 245/70/17? I realize some tires may not be available in a certain size. My Wk is stock, and it's RWD. Can't afford anything else right now.

Thanks for all your help and insight. This place is awesome!
:thumbsup:

I had a set of Firestone Destination AT's on my '05 and loved them. I got over 40K out of them. I have found, at least in my area, that a 245/70R17 is actually cheaper than the stock 245/65R17. I cheaped out on my last set, and I only got 25K out of them.

Kman09JGC 01-10-2013 08:14 AM

had destinations on my 99 4.7 laredo awesoome tire but wore fast IMO. put 255/65/17 general grabbeer at2 on my 09 4.7 they were cheaper and are a little better in the snow than the dest at IMO. First two snow storms in ohio this year the grabbers were amazing in the snow. You cant go wrong with either tire.

fcdd25 01-12-2013 04:50 PM

I have Firestone A/Ts. When we had snow over my bumpers a few winters ago I went down my 100 foot driveway in virgin snow like it was a summer day. Prior to that I had the original Goodyear Wrangler SRAs and even thought they were worn they also went through some pretty high stuff the year before. I think the drive systems on Jeeps have a lot to do with it too. The Firestone A/Ts are quiet and with a little over 42,000 miles on them they still have 8/32s tread left. I'd buy 'em again in a heartbeat. But I think any tire with a semi aggressive tread will work for you even a private label.