Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   2012 overland V/6 transmission no dip stick ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2012-overland-v-6-transmission-no-dip-stick-52090.html)

maggie 12-27-2012 10:15 PM

2012 overland V/6 transmission no dip stick ?

Hi there Maggie here: I have a 2012 v/6 overland no transmission dip stick. Dealer states one hundred dollar dip stick which is a computer it takes the transmissions temperature to add fluid if needed. all i want to do is monitor the fluid level. any sugestions on a regular dip stick. Thanks maggie

06HemiLtd 12-28-2012 08:24 AM

Re: 2012 overland V/6 transmission no dip stick ?

I'm not a 100% sure but the wk's 3.7L transmission was a sealed transmission designed by mercedes. For whatever reason, they didn't want people to be able to check it. Here is what I found...

Measuring trans fluid level requires the use of a scan tool to retrieve actual trans fluid temperature. You connect a scan tool capable of communication with a CAN bus [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green !important]transmission [COLOR=green !important]control[/COLOR][/COLOR] module, go into the data, put the vehicle in gear and read the trans fluid temperature. Once you read the temperature then you go off a chart in the service manual and see what the exact fluid level is for that given temperature.

Read more: 2007 jeep grand cherokee 3.7v6 9366a dip stick to measure - JustAnswer 2007 jeep grand cherokee 3.7v6 9366a dip stick to measure - JustAnswer[/COLOR]

maggie 12-29-2012 02:24 AM

Thanks for the reply. i am old school i think this no transmission dip stick is BS, That is my feelings I also feel by the time the consol tells you you are low on transmission fluid its to late for the transmission. Glad i purchased extend warrenty. Thanks again maggie

OH7wk 12-31-2012 03:32 PM

Matco tools makes a dipstick for em i had to get one for my 2007 3.7l i think it was about $30-40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yadkin 12-31-2012 03:36 PM

My last few cars have not had transmission dipsticks. If it doesn't leak or not burning it it's not using fluid. The EVIC on the '12 will tell you the transmission temperature while you drive. Mine runs at about 172F.

maggie 01-01-2013 11:40 PM

I feel by the time the EVIC tells you there is a problem the transmission is toast, my experience with automatics it doesn't take much to smoke one when you cannot monitor transmission level and fluid color and smell you are not in touch with the vehicle. That just me Maggie. Thanks for the responce.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yadkin (Post 730779)
My last few cars have not had transmission dipsticks. If it doesn't leak or not burning it it's not using fluid. The EVIC on the '12 will tell you the transmission temperature while you drive. Mine runs at about 172F.

Knightrider03m 01-03-2013 05:44 AM

You can order the dipstick via parts department I think. They closed out off because too many people were putting the wrong fluid in their trannys and ruining it

Sent on my Moto RAZR HD while I'm in class, in a meeting, in a waiting room, or in the bathroom

Taquache 01-03-2013 11:03 AM

Did they carry the 5 spd NAG1 through the new body?

If so there are dipsticks out there and it does require a temperature conversion chart, Also most of the dipsticks will appear too long... This is due to many many many vehicles having that same transmission with different dip stick tube lengths so getting an accurate reading is a little tricky.

If it is the NAG1 its a very good transmission that does not have many issues.