Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Destination LE? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/destination-le-52091.html)

Smiffer 12-27-2012 10:50 PM

Destination LE?
 
After driving on the Latitudes for a few days in the snow I'm looking to replace them. I've found a lot of forum posts on the Destination AT but can't find anything on the LE. On tire rack the LE have a better rating than the AT in almost every category. I don't have much need for an off road tire but definitely need something better in the snow.

1stJeepGC 12-28-2012 02:20 AM

Re: Destination LE?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiffer (Post 729468)
After driving on the Latitudes for a few days in the snow I'm looking to replace them. I've found a lot of forum posts on the Destination AT but can't find anything on the LE. On tire rack the LE have a better rating than the AT in almost every category. I don't have much need for an off road tire but definitely need something better in the snow.

Greetings,

Look at the Destination LE2 which is replacing the old LE. The ratings are based upon each category, so comparisons between highway and on/off road will not give you a true picture.

Also check out Cooper Tires, they have excellent reviews.

Best for now. :)

kkreit01 12-28-2012 10:40 AM

Re: Destination LE?
 
Are the Latitudes that bad? According to CR, they are good in snow (for an all-season, highway tire). I have not had ours in decent snow yet. I know they look like they'd be bad.

I don't think the LE2s would be a huge step in snow performance if that's what your goal is. I'd look for something with the snowflake on the sidewall: GY Silent Armor, etc.

1stJeepGC 12-28-2012 03:08 PM

Re: Destination LE?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kkreit01 (Post 729609)
Are the Latitudes that bad? According to CR, they are good in snow (for an all-season, highway tire). I have not had ours in decent snow yet. I know they look like they'd be bad.

I don't think the LE2s would be a huge step in snow performance if that's what your goal is. I'd look for something with the snowflake on the sidewall: GY Silent Armor, etc.

Greetings,

Personally, IMO, since I used to have the Latitudes on and in the snow, they are horrible, unless the the snow was hard packed plowed. The other problem was hydroplaning. In various other posts, threads and other forums, many have experienced the same or even reported losing control.

The LE2s for a highway tire should work well in light snow and improved traction on ice. I am not to sure about deep snow with this tire based on tread design and depth of only 11/32. Bridgestone, the parent company of Firestone owns a share in the Nokian Tires of Finland and have brought some of their technology in their product lines. The key components is the use of silica and natural oils. Other companies are also gearing in that direction.


Check out Nokian website for complete description on their technology.

SUV / 4x4 - Winter tires

Best for now.:)

tommydonnelly 12-30-2012 03:47 PM

Re: Destination LE?
 
I just picked up my first Jeep last Wednesday. After much shopping I found an excellent deal on a 2011 Grand with the X package and V6. It has the Lattitude's on it and so far they are HORRIBLE. Northern NY winters can be a bear and I've learned very quickly that I'm going to have to get some new shoes or Ill end up in a ditch.

Looking at the Cooper AT3s. Will a 265/65R18 run w/o mods? I've been convinced by several tire shops that they'll be fine, I just want to be 100% sure before I make the investment.

1stJeepGC 12-30-2012 08:02 PM

Re: Destination LE?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tommydonnelly (Post 730397)
I just picked up my first Jeep last Wednesday. After much shopping I found an excellent deal on a 2011 Grand with the X package and V6. It has the Lattitude's on it and so far they are HORRIBLE. Northern NY winters can be a bear and I've learned very quickly that I'm going to have to get some new shoes or Ill end up in a ditch.

Looking at the Cooper AT3s. Will a 265/65R18 run w/o mods? I've been convinced by several tire shops that they'll be fine, I just want to be 100% sure before I make the investment.

Greetings,

Besides the snow, the heavy rain is also bad with Latitudes. I change mine after five (5) months to the BFG Rugged Terrain. After, this last light snow downstate NY, IMO, BFG will not cut it for me.

The AT3s is one of the three tires I am deciding on. Check some videos of the AT3 on YouTube. The other is from Nokian, the Rotiva AT or from Treadways, the Winter Quest SUV, which is in the three non major brands they offer. I believe Cooper still makes the tires for them even through Sumitono now owns Treadways.

Treadways Corporation

Double check the size, mine is 265/60/R18.

Best for now.:)

tommydonnelly 12-30-2012 08:51 PM

Re: Destination LE?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stJeepGC (Post 730459)
Greetings,

Besides the snow, the heavy rain is also bad with Latitudes. I change mine after five (5) months to the BFG Rugged Terrain. After, this last light snow downstate NY, IMO, BFG will not cut it for me.

The AT3s is one of the three tires I am deciding on. Check some videos of the AT3 on YouTube. The other is from Nokian, the Rotiva AT or from Treadways, the Winter Quest SUV, which is in the three non major brands they offer. I believe Cooper still makes the tires for them even through Sumitono now owns Treadways.

Treadways Corporation

Double check the size, mine is 265/60/R18.

Best for now.:)

Thanks a lot. I think the AT3s are what I'll go with. My stock size is a 265/60/18 but would like to go up a tad - want a better appearance w/o going overboard. Again, I've been told a 265/65/18 will fit, but looking for opinions.

Laredo2006 02-24-2013 10:22 PM

Re: Destination LE?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiffer (Post 729468)
After driving on the Latitudes for a few days in the snow I'm looking to replace them. I've found a lot of forum posts on the Destination AT but can't find anything on the LE. On tire rack the LE have a better rating than the AT in almost every category. I don't have much need for an off road tire but definitely need something better in the snow.

That's exactly how I am thinking, I will be buying the Firestone Destination LE 2's in a few days-weeks and will try and test them in this Canadian snow if it has not melted by than. There is also some 50$ pre paid credit card offer from Firestone going around, but it starts in May, so might wait until than..

I think these are the perfect tires for me as I'm on the highway 80% of the time or more.

If anyone has any experience with these tires please let us know. They are suppose to be much better on gas mileage as well..


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community