Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Are you addicted to bells and whistles? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/are-you-addicted-to-bells-and-whistles-52103.html)

Yadkin 12-28-2012 09:51 AM

Are you addicted to bells and whistles?

Speaking of personal experience, I've gotten addicted to the bells and whistles over time.

Back in '85 I had to order my first new car because I couldn't find one that was equipped the way I wanted it, without any, what I considered at the time, "crap" that didn't add to the performance of the vehicle and made it more expensive to own and maintain. I ordered the larger engine, beefier suspension, locking axle, and the only "comforts" were for driving, like cruise control. No AC, no power windows, not even a radio. To appease my wife I did order heated seats and, as predicted, they broke promptly after the warranty had expired.

My first SUV in '90 was the same type of deal. I got the V8 and both locking axles, but everything else was bare bones. Manual shift. Manual transfer case. Manual hubs. That truck didn't even have carpeting. There was a huge, flat area between the two cloth bucket seats, and I bought a huge plastic tool box with a waterproof cover, and that became my console. Two rubber cup holders from Walmart sat nicely on it without moving around too much.

Then I started getting lazy, for lack of a better term, and bought cars off the lot. Each came with something that I didn't need, but hey it was there and I could unload my old ride that day instead of waiting almost two months. I think the first "not needed" option was keyless entry. After having it I don't know what I ever did without it.

Each successive vehicle was the same deal. Next it was power seats, then dual climate control. Then leather. On and on. I haven't got to the point, with my latest, of going "Summit", but I can see why folks do. :o

lysol 12-28-2012 10:16 AM

Re: Are you addicted to bells and whistles?

I just buy what I can afford comfortably and enjoy. Now my wife on the other hand... whole other story.

andyh 12-28-2012 10:30 AM

I prefer no frills. Keep it simple and less crap to break. I do admit that I enjoy using the electric starter.

2012 Summit 12-28-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyh (Post 729606)
I prefer no frills. Keep it simple and less crap to break. I do admit that I enjoy using the electric starter.

I agree about the electric starter, sure beats the hand-crank :)

Jim_in_PA 12-28-2012 10:49 AM

Honestly, I do like and enjoy the bells and whistles. I have tended to buy the "Limited" or better versions of vehicles over time in that respect. My Summit is the most "loaded" ever and I'm enjoying the new-to-me features accordingly.

lysol 12-28-2012 10:52 AM

Things that have become a requirement for me:

HID headlights
Integrated GPS
Leather interior

that's about it. anything else is just for fun or the wife "has to have it"

HYTEK 12-28-2012 11:04 AM

Coming from owning XJ's and Mustangs I thought I never needed all the bells n whistles, just go fast and get dirty. Now that I have my Limited I wouldn't have it any other way. I would've had an Overland but it wasn't in my budget, maybe next time.

GenevaSRT8 12-28-2012 11:05 AM

In general, I do enjoy them, although some of them I could do without (rain sensing wipers, for example. I don't mind setting them manually).

Newer bells and whistles that I am really looking forward to in my next truck:

- blindspot alert (which I believe is already available in current GCs): this adresses one of the things that always make me uncomfortable. In dense trafic, there is always the chance that a guy on a scooter or motorcycle sits in one of the blind spots and I didn't see him get there. I sometimes turn my head back to check when changing lanes, but if I can have a gizmo that saves me taking my eyes off the road in front, I'm all for it.

- adaptive headlights that move 30 degrees inside a turn (coming on some MY2014 GCs): most of the times not very useful. Mountain road: night and day (literally) difference.

Jeepin' Moose 12-28-2012 11:32 AM

I agree I have become addicted to it all too.

If you don't believe that yourself, take the battery out of your key fob for a week and use the manual locks with no push button start. Sooner rather than later you will miss the auto lift gate or remote start when its snowing at 5am, or just get annoyed having to walk around the vehicle to open a door.

I do dread some of the items breaking though. I can't believe the amount of electronic items my limited has.

eibyer 12-28-2012 11:49 AM

My only want(s) when we purchased was the remote start and the backup camera and of course the color. The remote start was included in the all weather group so that was a good plus, didn't have to pay for the Laredo X. The camera and RBZ radio I just did myself and saved me some cash. Could have splurged but that's money to be directed to something else I can use.

Yadkin 12-28-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenevaSRT8 (Post 729622)
In general, I do enjoy them, although some of them I could do without (rain sensing wipers, for example. I don't mind setting them manually).

Newer bells and whistles that I am really looking forward to in my next truck:

- blindspot alert (which I believe is already available in current GCs): this adresses one of the things that always make me uncomfortable. In dense trafic, there is always the chance that a guy on a scooter or motorcycle sits in one of the blind spots and I didn't see him get there. I sometimes turn my head back to check when changing lanes, but if I can have a gizmo that saves me taking my eyes off the road in front, I'm all for it.

- adaptive headlights that move 30 degrees inside a turn (coming on some MY2014 GCs): most of the times not very useful. Mountain road: night and day (literally) difference.

The rain sensitive wipers, I agree are kinda dumb. Especially when the go into fast mode. In over 35 years of driving I can count on one hand the number of times I've used fast mode by myself.

I was tempted a bit with the blind spot alert, but didn't spring for it. I have a tendency to pick up what I call "stalkers" that ride next to me and love to hide in my blind spot, and the warning light being on all the time would be just as annoying as they are. If I had it I still would look over my shoulder to change lanes anyway, since I don't think its prudent to trust devices like that.

The wife has adaptive headlights on her sedan and they do come in handy on the twist mountain roads here...

Scottina06 12-28-2012 12:01 PM

Iadmit it....I am. If I drive my new 13' for a couple days and then go to drive my 2006. Ugh....its almost comical. I start looking for the triangles in the mirror, the adaptive cruise to slow me down. I try to start it from my office etc etc. The interior on my 06 feels like a yugo.....LOL