Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   TPMS not reading (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/tpms-not-reading-52124.html)

7upstang 12-28-2012 06:26 PM

TPMS not reading

I have a 2011 GC Laredo X. I just swapped on some 265/65/18 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's. While the one tire was being removed from the rim the TPMS was hit and broke off the stem. My buddy who's shop it is ordered up an aftermarket unit. We finished up and I was only getting a ready from 3 sensors. I thought okay, the vehicle needs to learn the replaced sensor. I drove home, about 15 miles and no change. Today I rotated two of the tires, moving the new sensor front to rear. Drove back home and only 3 sensors reading, but the position of the sensors didn't change. If the new sensor is bad/or wrong for jeep then it should have moved to the rear. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Jim

Ratchet 12-31-2012 07:30 AM

Re: TPMS not reading

If one of the TPMS is faulty, in some situations, the system will not attempt to relearn the new locations untill the original problem is repaired.

I do know that the OEM TPMS come with a sensor ID# already preprogrammed. Repair/relearn is as simple as installing the new sensor and going for a short drive. I cannot confirm if the aftermarket brands come with a preprogrammed ID or not.

ColdCase 12-31-2012 08:48 AM

Are you getting the system fault indication? i. e. the low pressure warning flashes for ~75 seconds before going solid? Did the tire shop use their TPMS tester to verify the new sensors is working at the right frequency? Did they also check the others?

Aftermarket sensors are notorious for incompatibility with the WK2. Some work some don't.

Once a fault is detected, perhaps the system will not update any pressures, it just goes to the system fault state until it sees four sensors.

You could borrow a tire from another WK2, see what happens.

BioTech 01-02-2013 01:32 PM

I had the same problem, but never got the sensor replace. They fixed a flat tire, after that it did not work on that tire. Took it back to the dealer and they had to replace the receiving unit. They said they are very easy to hit when replacing a tire or rotating the tires. They replaced the receiving unit and all works now. Not really sure where they are and how easy it is to hit them but that's what they told me and seems to be true.

denis4x4 01-26-2013 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A really good tire pressure gauge is $20.00! I have three cars with TPMS and none of them are even close to being accurate. Made this years ago when I was heavy into off highway stuff and needed to drop air pressures. Parts were about $40.00. And being an old phart, the gauge is easy to read! I still use gauges instead of TPMS.