Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   Need 12" Sub box size help. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/need-12-sub-box-size-help-5216.html)

NHWK05 01-01-2010 09:14 PM

Need 12" Sub box size help.

I currently have a 12" Kicker CVR sub with a 750w Kicker Mono amp.

I have a store stock single 12" size box and to me its too big. Id like to build a stealth type box like the one that Matt just built but that will have to wait until better weather and time. For now id like to make a box that will fit the back angle of the back seat and be a small as the sub will possibly allow w/o making it sound like crap.

In complete honesty, I dont even want a 12" sub any more, id like a nice 10" Kicker sub but i cant justify spending money on something i dont need when mine is completely fine. so building a small box is in order.

Now, i can build the box just fine, ive built plenty before but non with space a real concern so they were always plenty big. I need this box to be easily moved or removed so nothing permanent will be done for now.

So finally, My question is, what is the smallest CU FT of air space that i can make the inside of this box and whats the easiest way to take that interior CUFT and turn that in to internal measurements so i can build this box?

My current box.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ods/audio1.jpg

My Amp:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ods/audio3.jpg

Chris 01-01-2010 10:50 PM

Re: Need 12" Sub box size help.

Well we all know Matt is going to be the one to give the correct answers here, but from talkin to him about subs and boxes, and my own research the kicker's require pretty large boxes in order to sound right.

I think you should look into different sub's and find one you like that requires a smaller amount of airspace.

NHWK05 01-01-2010 10:52 PM

Yea, i figured that much, the issue is that i have a Kicker sub and no money for a new sub. if i had it my way id buy a Kicker Solo baric L7 series 10" and call it done. At this point in time a good quality 10" woofer would be more then enough for what i need. i used to have 2 kicker cvr 12s and ive slowly gone to less.

Matt 01-01-2010 11:34 PM

Kyle, if you're still thinking about using the 12" CVR, the absolute smallest enclosure I would put it in is 1 ft^3.

Here is a plot at 1 cube;

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...ntitled-14.jpg

If you are looking to get back some cargo space, then building an enclosure that utilizes all of the negative space that's created by the angle of the floor and rear seats is the way to go.

Enclosure size really is solely dependent on the t/s parameters that a woofer carries. If you pick the right 10" sub, you could get by with an enclosure as small as .5 ft^3 (net).

mzh29 01-02-2010 12:25 PM

Not to hijack but Matt did you used to work at a car audio shop or something? I have no way of verifying but you seem to really know your shit when it comes to this stuff:thumbsup:

DJ BoNiOmArIo 01-02-2010 01:13 PM

^ x2 .... that's why I have nicknamed Matt "The Audio Guru"

Matt 01-02-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mzh29 (Post 124605)
Not to hijack but Matt did you used to work at a car audio shop or something? I have no way of verifying but you seem to really know your shit when it comes to this stuff:thumbsup:

No, never. I have just done a lot of research over the past 4 years and quite a bit of hands-on experiencing in my previous two and my current vehicle.

I am usually able to help out and a lot of times it's stuff that cannot be verified by others, but I would never throw someone information that I do not personally feel is accurate. That just wouldn't be right. I know what my limits are and I never try to stretch beyond them. I may seem like a guru compared to you peckerwoods ( :p ), but compare me to the guys who build and tune world class sound quality cars, well, there is no comparison. :)

NHWK05 01-02-2010 06:35 PM

my plan is to do something similar to what you built a while back. A single 12" box that will fit the angle of the seat. it will be as tall as i can fit it under the rear cargo cover. and no wider then the largest side of the seat but keeping it as narrow as possible.

Does the shape of the box matter at all? Would it be ok if i made the box from 1/2" MPF and not 3/4"?

For now, with my finances and my priorities i will keep the 12" woofer, once i am better financially i will build a 10" woofer stealth box.

BTW, what is 1ft^3, 1 cu ft?

If i need to i can find the owners manual that came with the subwoofer and see what it says the smallest size is.

Matt 01-02-2010 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHWK05 (Post 124731)
my plan is to do something similar to what you built a while back. A single 12" box that will fit the angle of the seat. it will be as tall as i can fit it under the rear cargo cover. and no wider then the largest side of the seat but keeping it as narrow as possible.

Does the shape of the box matter at all? Would it be ok if i made the box from 1/2" MPF and not 3/4"?

I wouldn't. Go with 3/4" MDF. Unless you brace the hell out of the 1/2 (which would probably get you so close to 3/4 anyways), it will flex.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHWK05 (Post 124731)
For now, with my finances and my priorities i will keep the 12" woofer, once i am better financially i will build a 10" woofer stealth box.

BTW, what is 1ft^3, 1 cu ft?

If i need to i can find the owners manual that came with the subwoofer and see what it says the smallest size is.

Yeah, 1 cubic foot.

NHWK05 01-02-2010 06:53 PM

Ok thanks, I think i still have some 3/4 left over from my last box. I will post up what the manual says for specs in a few minutes.

Would it help at all if i made it a ported box or keep it sealed?

Matt 01-02-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHWK05 (Post 124741)
Ok thanks, I think i still have some 3/4 left over from my last box. I will post up what the manual says for specs in a few minutes.

Would it help at all if i made it a ported box or keep it sealed?

Specs say minimum 1 cubic foot. I never trust the manufacturer specs. I always model something up.

Ported will require a much larger enclosure; stick with sealed.

NHWK05 01-02-2010 07:11 PM

According to Kicker

CVR 12" Sealed box:
1 ft3 (28.3L) 4.6 ft3 (130L) Power Handling = 300W RMS
Power Handling = 400W RMS

Recommended box dimensions for a sealed box (each panel for 3/4")

CVR12 14.5x14.5 (36.8x36.8) 14.5x11 (36.8x27.9) 13x11 (33x27.9)
1 (28.3)

Ported:
1.75 ft3 (49.6L) + port displacement 2.25 ft3 (63.7L) + port displacement
CVR12
2.5 x 12.5” (6.4x31.8cm) port, 20” (50.8cm) long 3 x 12.5” (7.6x31.8cm) port, 20.5” (52.1cm) long Pro Tip: You are one ZX

Power Handling = 300W RMS Power Handling = 300W RMS

So i will do like Matt suggested and stick to the 1 cu ft size and keep it sealed.