Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - ZJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f78/)
-   -   7 pin to 4 pin??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f78/7-pin-to-4-pin-52168.html)

Ds883 12-29-2012 07:01 PM

7 pin to 4 pin???

The 7 pin harness on my 93 grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2 lt 4x4 was all corroded and I need to get it to a 4 pin for my trailer. I had to cut the wiring from the back of the connector, now here's the question. Can I wire a 4 pin into the wiring from the 7 pin I had? I thought it would be simple but I don't have any idea what the wires go to, and I can't seem to find a diagram that matches.

Here are the wire colors:

Black
Lt Blue
Orange
Green
Dk Blue w/ Red Stripe
Brown W/ Grrn Stripe
Red w/ Black Stripe

I would appreciate any help, I am under the deadline for a new job. Thank you.

cheapjeep 12-29-2012 11:08 PM

Re: 7 pin to 4 pin???

Here's what I dug up.

Brown/Green - Reverse
Tan - Right Turn signal
Green - Left Turn signal
Blue/Red - Running Lights
Pink/Black - AUX / Battery Charge
Black - Ground
Blue - Trailer Brakes

Ds883 12-29-2012 11:45 PM

So what is the thought on wiring a 4 pin adapter to these loose wires? I've google'd a little but all I'm getting is adapters. I have the 4 pin that should be on the jeep side.

How do I get the 7 pin above to work with the 4 pin(I see the obvious matchups, but not the stop lights):
Green:Right turn/Stop
Yellow:Left turn/Stop
Brown:Running Lights
White:Ground

I could start trying through trial and error, but I don't have the funds to fix something I screw up being a bonehead.

cheapjeep 12-30-2012 12:28 AM

This should help with the colors on the 4 pin plug you have. Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com The turns and stops are on the same wire for each side so if you wire the turns you also have wired the stops. Even on a 7 wire there is no separate brake light wire. The 3 extra are reverse,trailer brake control and b+ which you need to tape up by the way cause it's always hot. Hope that helps a bit.

Ds883 12-30-2012 12:37 AM

Thank You, I'll try it out in the morning.

Ds883 12-30-2012 04:24 PM

Alright, I've used the above info. I have my running lights working and that is it. I hooked a multimeter up and got power on the right blinker, but nothing on the left.

The trailer is wired as follows:
White:Grounded to trailer.
Right Side:
Brown/green: right taillight to 2 black wires from light.
Green: Right Taillight to Red wire from light.
Side Market is grounded then black wire from light is spliced in brown

Left Side:
Brown/yellow:Left taillight to 2 black wires from light.
Yellow:Left taillight red wire from light.
Side Market is grounded then black wire from light is spliced in brown

I have not felt this retarded in a while, I obviously don't know much about trailer wiring...any help, ideas, or ways to rig this to make it work temporarily are welcome. I just need it for one trip from houston to colorado.

cheapjeep 12-30-2012 10:45 PM

That's the problem you run into. How many people have been into the trailer? Colors are all wrong on the trailer. Hate to say it but its trial and error time with the meter:mad:

jerkylips 12-31-2012 01:06 AM

if it were my I'd wire a 7 pin harness then get a 7>4 adapter. Probably the most straight forward and if you ever need the 7 pin, you already have it.

spyder873 12-31-2012 09:54 AM

I agree with Jerkylips . we have a 7 pin and use a 7-4 adapter and it works great .

Oh and to prevent corroding on the new one and on Battery terminals I use this
Shop IDEAL .05-Oz. Tube Noalox Anti-Oxidant at Lowes.com

You will never have a corroding problem again .