Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Phillips Daytime4 LED DRL install (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/phillips-daytime4-led-drl-install-52172.html)

jpcjf 12-29-2012 08:56 PM

Phillips Daytime4 LED DRL install

9 Attachment(s)
The Phillips Daytime4 is an extremely bright LED DRL kit that is equal to the OEM DRL's on newer Mercedes and Audi's. The instructions are very clear and accurate and the install is easy. The kit comes with everything for those who want to add this type of DRL.

1) Mount the light , brackets only first, where you want them, screw mount or double-sided tape. (I had the chrome grill off, as I was painting it black to match) I chose to mount them vertically in the ovals of the grill. I use a level to "level" them vertically and horizontally. They are flush with the grill. The kit contains enough wire so you can place them anywhere up front.

2) Attach the positive + lead and negative - lead of the main harness to the posts where you would jump the vehicle.

3) Attach the control module to a secure location. I chose the convenient slot on the passenger end of the black metal bracket, on the fuse block. Attach the only power module wire to the back of the front amber turn signal bulbs. On our vehicle the center wire is the proper one. A small blue led light on the module lights to confirm connection to the proper lead of the back of the turn signal. The kit comes with an in-line connector. It signals the module that the lights are on and the DRL's go off.

4) DRL's come on when you start the vehicle and go off when you turn on the parking lights or headlights.

Amazon.com: Philips 12820WLEDX1 DayLight 4 High Powered Luxeon LED Daytime Running Light: Automotive

jorsr 12-30-2012 11:47 AM

Re: Phillips Daytime4 LED DRL install

So with this install your factory daytime lights dont come on ?

jpcjf 12-30-2012 07:43 PM

The instructions note to keep you OEM Automatic headlight switch set to off. It would over-ride the DRL's, if I understand your question correctly.

Jeep_addicted 03-31-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpcjf (Post 730453)
The instructions note to keep you OEM Automatic headlight switch set to off. It would over-ride the DRL's, if I understand your question correctly.

The vehicle this was installed on was equipped with halogen headlights and doesn't have the standard DRLs like the Limited/Overland models.

jpcjf 04-02-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorsr (Post 730305)
So with this install your factory daytime lights dont come on ?

I apologize for not replying sooner, as answered above, ours did not come with OEM DRL's. I wanted to mod a Laredo X specifically for options it did and didn't come with from Jeep.

jpcjf 05-06-2013 10:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I installed HID Fogs this weekend as well as an Ablaze black powder coated metal upper grill insert. I moved the LED's to the lower gill area. I mounted them behind the OEM lower grill, they are so bright it did not affect light output.

DocPerry 05-19-2013 05:32 PM

Hmm, looks much better in the lower fascia. Very clean wk2!

Dabitz 05-20-2013 02:19 PM

Could you add like a bracket or spacer to center them vertically behind the mesh? Look real nice, good job.

jpcjf 05-21-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dabitz (Post 826182)
Could you add like a bracket or spacer to center them vertically behind the mesh? Look real nice, good job.

Yes, you could. I just found it more secure to screw or double-side tape the light brackets directly to the metal frame directly above the lights.

Todd3.6 08-01-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted (Post 792650)

The vehicle this was installed on was equipped with halogen headlights and doesn't have the standard DRLs like the Limited/Overland models.

Actually...
The dealer can activate DRLs even with the halogen headlights. I have a Laredo X and I walked through the process with a service advisor at my dealer (Fury Motors in MN). I made notes in another thread, but I don't recall what the thread title was.