Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Jeep warranty lagging competitors? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/jeep-warranty-lagging-competitors-52199.html)

JC_0105 12-30-2012 11:42 AM

Jeep warranty lagging competitors?

I currently own a MY05 and am very interested in the MY13/14 so the wife and I went to start looking at other models to have an idea of what is available and to see the Jeep Overland MY13's. We also visited several other dealers to check out their vehicles and was surprised to find increased warranties from all of them except Jeep. Cadillac (4/50k w/maintenance), Buick (4/50k), Acura (4/50k) and BMW (4/50k w/maintenance). To me the quality and look and feel of the MY13 Overland we looked at matched or exceeded these other brands and we thought it was odd that Jeep hasn't increased their warranty coverage. Any thoughts on why Jeep hasn't increased their warranty coverage?

Jason

Scottina06 12-30-2012 12:04 PM

Re: Jeep warranty lagging competitors?

Ive wondered myself.....but of the manufacturers you list....ALL are premium brands. The only premium Jeeps are the Summit and SRT.

AAAA 12-30-2012 01:14 PM

It would raise the price.

JC_0105 12-30-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 730311)
Ive wondered myself.....but of the manufacturers you list....ALL are premium brands. The only premium Jeeps are the Summit and SRT.

Good point...For the prices paid on the Summit and SRT though I think they should exceed or match the competition in warranty as you are paying for the luxury of those models.

JC_0105 12-30-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 730332)
It would raise the price.

The price already exceeds or matches the prices of the other luxury brands though (at least on the Summit and SRT as Scott mentioned).

Scottina06 12-30-2012 01:53 PM

SRT has hinted at a premium SRT service centers. They already have SRT certified dealers. Pretty sure my SRT's drivetrain warranty is more than 3/36. Maybe 5 yrs or 100k miles?

ColdCase 12-30-2012 02:48 PM

Other brands had to do something to compete with the Jeep :) . Extending warranty coverage one year is one marketing approach, especially if the brand had any reputation of quality issues. But I think those brands have been at 4 years for some time now.... used to be 5 and I think they backtracked recently... and Chryslers are still selling well. Chrysler bean counters probably consider the profit from extending basic warrantees and raising prices vs just selling more extended warrantees...

JC_0105 12-30-2012 02:54 PM

True...I have avoided looking at any vehicles for several years as I like to buy when I look! :D I will probably try to negotiate an extended warranty with the purchase of the MY14 when I buy.

fwdjeep 12-30-2012 03:21 PM

If build quality then it will not increase the overall costs.

Hyundai in australia have a 5 year 100,000kms warranty

Jeep MUST increase quality first take some pride in build quality.

beepbeepimajeep 12-30-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fwdjeep (Post 730379)
If build quality then it will not increase the overall costs.

Hyundai in australia have a 5 year 100,000kms warranty

Jeep MUST increase quality first take some pride in build quality.

Hyundai has 10 yr/100k powertrain here in the US. Chrysler has a 5/60k powertrain as do many other 'normal' manufacturers.

I agree build quality needs to improve but throwing on a long warranty doesn't make a vehicle suddenly reliable. Are we all so quick to forget the lifetime powertrain and maxcare warranties you could get on Chrysler models during the bankruptcy?

jvs0302 12-31-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 730340)
SRT has hinted at a premium SRT service centers. They already have SRT certified dealers. Pretty sure my SRT's drivetrain warranty is more than 3/36. Maybe 5 yrs or 100k miles?

Scott is there a way to search for SRT certified dealers?

ColdCase 12-31-2012 09:27 AM

The other factor is the cost of morons abusing their vehicle and then claiming warranty repair. Manufacturing defects should be picked up by 12K miles but they give you 36K miles as over that time failures should be relatively rare and there hasn't been enough time for the moron abuse to have effect.

No amount of warranty is going to prevent a design defect. In those cases Chrysler typically picks up the tab on the repairs and fixes regardless, unlike the two GM products I've had direct experience with.

We all know some manufacture spend a lot of time designing components that wear out in 6-7 years to encourage you to trade in.

Warranties of more that 36K are more marketing than quality.