Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   new to this site, shifter problem (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/new-to-this-site-shifter-problem-52250.html)

sbower9596 12-31-2012 05:21 PM

new to this site, shifter problem

Hello fellow jeep owners, my name is Sherry and I own a 2005 jeep grand cherokee laredo and I LOVE IT!!..but today I had a problem and I don;t know what the problem is, so if anyone out here wants to chat to discuss the shifter please reply back..thanks in advance:confused:

akimball 12-31-2012 05:22 PM

Re: new to this site

welcome to JG!

explain your issue and hopefully someone can help you out.

Chris_IAH 12-31-2012 05:29 PM

Welcome !

SnoFire 12-31-2012 05:48 PM

Welcome to JeepGarage!!

sbower9596 12-31-2012 05:53 PM

Thanks for the welcome... ok so here it goes from a womans prospective..lol..the plastic piece that slides when you shift gears bunches up when its cold and i am nlot sure if that has anything to do with what happened today but..it seemed to come off track and right after that all the PRND lights on the dash stayed lit and the car wouldnt shift outta first gear..the guy at the garage didnt tear it aprt yet but told me he thinks i need a new gear shift assy??... sounds expensive??

SnoFire 12-31-2012 06:18 PM

Sherry, make a post of this as well in the WK section of the forums. That might help with responses.

dramasdan 01-09-2013 08:08 PM

My 2005 did the same thing minus the bunching plastic, ended up being the shift assembly, dealer wanted 670.00 for the job, I was deployed at the time so told the wife to get it done dealership mechanics are huge ripoffs, 100.00 of that was probably just to walk out, look at the jeep and say, yep its a jeep.

sbower9596 01-09-2013 08:30 PM

Re: new to this site, shifter problem

dramasdan.. I took it to the garage and sure enough it was the entire shifter assembly and of cpourse they couldnt find a used one so i paid 585.00 for the part alone total out the door was 760.02.. not exactly what i needed right after christmas but i need my car like most ppl do..thanks for the reply..i STILL LOVE my jeep and would NOT trade it for anything...well..maybe a newer one!!

dramasdan 01-10-2013 12:13 PM

Yep newer one would be nice but other than that same here.
Jeeps for life!!!

sbower9596 01-10-2013 01:17 PM

dramasdan.. does your jeep have cloth seats and if so do they stain with just water?.. any suggestions on how to clean them bc i am afraid that if i try to do it myself i will end up making them worse..if you or anyone out there has a suggestion on this please let me know..thanks!!

dramasdan 01-10-2013 08:00 PM

My wife came up with the best stain remover ever, half hydrogen peroxide and half regular blue dawn dishsoap. Mix it up and it gets out any stain and is easy to soak up. Then I broke down and bought some nice seat covers. Jeep seat covers, yeah you know. We have two kids so its messy sometimes. But thats been my best bet so far.

kennzz05 01-11-2013 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbower9596 (Post 735576)
dramasdan.. I took it to the garage and sure enough it was the entire shifter assembly and of cpourse they couldnt find a used one so i paid 585.00 for the part alone total out the door was 760.02.. not exactly what i needed right after christmas but i need my car like most ppl do..thanks for the reply..i STILL LOVE my jeep and would NOT trade it for anything...well..maybe a newer one!!

a little late but that part could have been cleaned

Why Shifter Lever Assy breaks on Jeeps - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

seat cleaning? little green clean machine