Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Question about TB boring (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/question-about-tb-boring-52377.html)

SweetWilliam 01-03-2013 10:24 AM

Question about TB boring

Wondering if anyone bores the throttle bodies out for the entire length and puts in a bigger blade.

Scottina06 01-03-2013 01:10 PM

Re: Question about TB boring

talk to vendor FlyinRyan But most do a taper bore

SweetWilliam 01-03-2013 09:22 PM

Absolutly on the taper bore. Im looking to see if anyone taper bores all the way thru then installs a larger butterfly/blade. Pics I've seen look like taper ends just before butterfly.

jeepgcoman 01-04-2013 05:04 PM

Then you'd also have to hog out the intake to match though. Complete larger TB's are available.

Scottina06 01-04-2013 05:21 PM

yep...there would be a problem that you have more TB than your jeep can handle.

robpp 01-04-2013 05:26 PM

fastman does it all the way through on a CNC and puts in a new blade.....thats what he did for my 4.7 anyway/

SweetWilliam 01-04-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 732608)
fastman does it all the way through on a CNC and puts in a new blade.....thats what he did for my 4.7 anyway/

Nice. Maybe more than stock exhaust manifolds can deal with. Would like to find out on dyno.

No problem at intake. Taper stops at intake so it stays the same size where TB meets intake. Lets you have a longer, smoother venturi effect. Attempting to get more air moving and keeping speeds up get fresh charge into cylinder fast as possible. Too big of an intake tract slows down airflow and will lose on dyno every time. The 6.1 intake is awful on the 5.7, just too big of runners. Expensive four barrel set up lost to the stock intake also. The 5.7 likes smaller faster from what i have read. Have not studies cam numbers enuff yet but I'm guessing a little more overlap would make it happy.

I used 4" PVC from cut out stock airbox to a 4" to 3" reducer 90* into TB hoping to help speed the air flow around corner before it hits TB. Good for 1.5mpg or so and I believe it is a plus for throttle response low to mid range rpm. Still need to get a TB or 2 and a Diablo so I can try a few combos the same afternoon on a dyno. Get as much as I can dialed in with stock exhaust manifolds for cheap power then those shite manifolds will be the limiting factor.

dmsfun 01-11-2013 01:28 PM

Modern Muscle does taper bore CNC 85mm, no tune needed, and they have dyno charts to prove gains. They also have smooth bore 87 MM for even more power, but you need either a wideband O2 with Trinity tuner, or have custom dyno tuning done, since A/F will be off.

dmsfun 01-11-2013 01:36 PM

Also, since you have been running it a while, just try removing your PVC intake and putting the entire stock one back on, and with a NEW panel filter. Like so many others who have done this, I bet you will say WOW, from all the torque and throttle response regained, plus MDS operation is far smoother. Only way to find out it to try. I tested both stock and CAI intakes back to back with stock and ported TB's, and the stock intake is Soooo much better than a CAI, with both TB's.

SweetWilliam 01-11-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 736647)
Modern Muscle does taper bore CNC 85mm, no tune needed, and they have dyno charts to prove gains. They also have smooth bore 87 MM for even more power, but you need either a wideband O2 with Trinity tuner, or have custom dyno tuning done, since A/F will be off.

Bored to the throttle plate or beyond with larger plate installed? Thats the question.

Going from 4 to 3 inch in a taper and some epoxy work in pvc I'm not going to say wow with stock intake back in place. Stock airbox, Mileage increased at highway speed also. Still not expecting 20hp from Apexi either.

dmsfun 01-13-2013 12:27 AM

MM knows what they are doing. Just buy one of their TB's and be glad you did, then junk that intake and put the stocker back on, and you will be thankful after seeing how much better it drives. There is no possible way of increasing mpg buy 1.5, or power by that cheeseball design intake LOL Mine runs 0-60 5.2 with stock intake and exhaust. what does yours run with that setup, 7.5 ?

FlyinRyan 01-13-2013 07:43 AM

I will also have bored TBs available again.within the next few weeks.