Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Lysol's '13 Mineral Grey Summit V8 Build (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/lysols-13-mineral-grey-summit-v8-build-52378.html)

lysol 01-03-2013 11:26 AM

Lysol's '13 Mineral Grey Summit V8 Build

I just bought my '13.... Let me start over... I just bought my wife her '13 Overland Summit in Mineral Grey with black interior in a V8. Picked it up right before X-mas. Got a good deal since the '14's are about to role out. It is still stock which is bugging the crap out of me. The Quadra-Lift wasn't my first pick on suspension but she wanted something nice and so we got it. Will have to tone down a lot of future mods because of it but it is fine.

My plans are to build a SUV that we can go on road trips w/ the option of going off road and camping. I am a techy guy and like things to look as much like stock as possible. I'm extremely OCD which slows me down a bit on projects but can't change that lol. I have always liked the SUV builds along the "overland" theme (not to be confused with the name Jeep used to call this SUV. It's a type of build that allows you to go almost everywhere). I will be limited in my tire size so I won't be able to reach my goal of 33" with appropriate clearance but I'm sure I'll be satisfied with 30" 's.

Not sure what order my future mods will be as of yet. I've already e-mailed GOBI for a custom rack idea. I want to be able to mount 2 small solar panels w/quick disconnects. Enough power to run a small fridge indefinitely. Also want to install a second battery with an isolator. The main battery will have charging priority over the second from the alternator but if the main is full, the Jeep will charge the second. Also, in a situation where the main is drained, you can connect the 2 with a switch and "jump start" your own Jeep. Pretty cool I think. The solar panels will only be set up to charge the spare. All accessories I install such as lights, radio (cb), etc... will get their power from the spare so I don't have to worry about draining my main starter battery. The power from the second battery will be cleaner than the main as far as interference goes (like with a cb radio) since it is "isolated" from the rest of the vehicle. Eventually will want a "low-key" brush guard w/winch. Some basic recovery gear and that's about it.

Not going to be able to go crazy with the suspension which is probably better for me since I can get a semi-overland setup to my taste faster. Don't have any future mod dates yet but figured I should start my own thread anyway.

Here she is a few days old:

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps655f6740.jpg

bill_de 01-03-2013 11:44 AM

Re: Lysol's '13 Mineral Grey Summit V8 Build

Is your wife aware of all your intentions toward HER Jeep?

Congrats to Mrs. Lysol!

... and you too!

lysol 01-03-2013 11:53 AM

Lol. Yea. She said as long at it does road trips "comfortably", she's cool. I really wanted the Limited with normal suspension but meh. I might turn out to like this off road. I think after I get some skids, rock rails, and smaller rims/AT tires, I'll be a little more open to take this on off road trips. Not much else I can do after that to the undercarriage.

08Hemi 01-03-2013 01:07 PM

black or saddle interior? I love that color...great looking rig!

Jim_in_PA 01-03-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 731923)
Is your wife aware of all your intentions toward HER Jeep?

LOL :p That was my thought, too! :lol:

Don't worry, Lysol...that Summit will likely be able to do everything you want it to do. And honestly, I really like the QL at this point. While I don't do "off road", outside of traversing the lawn to get to my utility trailer and horse trailer, I can see how useful the alternative higher levels can be for "real" off road when you want to do that. And if you're not going to be doing that frequently, keep a set of wheels/tires optimized for that and run the regular Summit setup for daily driving for more comfort and less noise.

2012 Summit 01-03-2013 02:21 PM

Congrats. Looks great in mineral grey.

DirtyDuc83 01-05-2013 12:14 AM

I like your plans. And you should be able to stuff some 32" tires in there without any drama.

lysol 01-09-2013 01:16 PM

So I've been e-mailing a few people for more information on the National Luna dual battery kit. I believe this will be the first thing done. Trying to do it right the first time and this should be first. I'm still undecided about the controller placement. Might velcro it to the underside of the center console lid or something.

Next project will be switches. I plan to have a panel w/switches installed before any accessories are installed. This way for example, as I install lights, the fuse/relay is already in place under the hood and the switch is already in the cab.

Here's my rough draft in my head for my switches using the OTRATTW switch faces.

Switch Face Layout:

Top - Symbol (Dimmable)
Bottom - Text (Serves as indicator if it is on or not)

Thinking about putting these up high in the space between the sunroof opening and the map lights.

--Text-- (On bottom(symbol on top))
--Switch Type--
-Back Light Color (Top / Bottom)-

Front LED Light Bars
on / off
blue / green

Bumper Led Bar Amber
on / off
blue / amber

Left Alley Light
on / off
blue / green

Right Alley Light
on / off
blue / green

Rear Led Bar
on / off
blue / green

Rock Lights
on / off
blue / green

All Lights
on / off
blue / red

These will come later and don't have any ideas on placement

Arb Compressor
on / off
blue / green

Winch Power
on / off
blue / green

Winch In/Out
on / off / on
green / blue / green (This switch only lights up when "Winch Power" is on) The middle is a winch symbol and the outsides will be "In" and "Out" in text. I want all 3 spots on this switch to light up and be dimmable.

Well, these are my ideas for now at least. I needed a place to jot them down before I forget them. Lol.

lysol 01-12-2013 08:13 PM

I have re-created my Build Thread under the Photo/Video forum. Mods please lock this thread. Thanks

New build thread - http://www.jeepgarage.org/f14/lysols...ild-52808.html

AAAA 01-12-2013 09:43 PM

So Mrs. Lysol has a nice set of wheels. What do you drive?