Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Where to buy new key? Can I program with 1 original? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/where-to-buy-new-key-can-i-program-with-1-original-52382.html)

morty346 01-03-2013 11:49 AM

Where to buy new key? Can I program with 1 original?

Bought a used 11 overland - only had 1 key fob

didn't ask during trade if it had both keys, bad assumption

so now I need to buy one - I see a few generic ones on ebay and such can i just buy one and program it myself?

I see some post about needing two original keys? whats that about?

Any recommendations on where to buy them from or what price is appropriate for this?

its still under warranty but im sure re programming doesn't count
maybe I can yell and get the dealership I purchased from to do the programming for free...

RageOfFury 01-03-2013 04:12 PM

Re: Where to buy new key? Can I program with 1 original?

If you bought it from a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer then go back and politely request you be given a 2nd fob.

Those fobs are expensive by the way and require dealer programming.

morty346 01-03-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 732043)
If you bought it from a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer then go back and politely request you be given a 2nd fob.

Those fobs are expensive by the way and require dealer programming.

I have asked actually called on the way out of the parking lot because i thought they forgot to give it to me

eibyer 01-03-2013 05:00 PM

Yeah, those buggers are expensive. I did some search a while back and the ones I found that are cheaper were for earlier models not the WK2s.

morty346 01-03-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eibyer (Post 732061)
Yeah, those buggers are expensive. I did some search a while back and the ones I found that are cheaper were for earlier models not the WK2s.

I mean if these work I have no problem paying 90 bucks for them
New Replacement Remote Fobik Key Keyless Fob Prox Uncut Blade 6 Button Rear | eBay

that actually doesn't seem so bad, i would just like some reassurance that this is going to work, and that you don't need both original sets or something dumb like that

RageOfFury 01-03-2013 07:09 PM

The dealer didn't want to give you another fob? I would fight for that if I were you. Don't take no for an answer, but also remain polite, calm.

Brad69 02-13-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morty346 (Post 732066)
I mean if these work I have no problem paying 90 bucks for them
New Replacement Remote Fobik Key Keyless Fob Prox Uncut Blade 6 Button Rear | eBay

that actually doesn't seem so bad, i would just like some reassurance that this is going to work, and that you don't need both original sets or something dumb like that

Morty, don't pay 90 bucks for one on ebay. If you don't have two programmed keys already, you will have to take it AND THE JEEP to the dealer to have it programmed, and my dealer here wants $120! A new programmed key is $150.

ColdCase 02-13-2013 07:56 PM

Yes, you can't program a blank yourself if you only have one key, only the dealer and most dealers want to use their own FOBs as the know they work.

If you had two FOBs, you could program a blank one as a third key.

BTW, you can only program blanks, can't reprogram a used FOB.

morty346 02-14-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 732139)
The dealer didn't want to give you another fob? I would fight for that if I were you. Don't take no for an answer, but also remain polite, calm.

Thanks for the advices - went back to them and threatened taking my business for the next vehicle elsewhere and that got the right people involved and gave me one the next day.