Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Whisbar isn't whispering (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/whisbar-isnt-whispering-52384.html)

nathantw 01-03-2013 01:11 PM

Whisbar isn't whispering

Just installed Whisbar rails on my WK2 with the panorama sunroof. The bar doesn't block the rear seat sunroof as much as I thought it would. Looks pretty good on the truck and thought I could leave it there. Well, found out that at 40mph and above it doesn't quite whisper but instead whistles in the wind. I know that it's happy that it's installed, but come on.

What I think is happening is that while the bar itself is aerodynamic and is probably pretty quiet the mount itself isn't aerodynamic and has a lot of nooks and crannies for the wind to buffet and create turbulence. Add the mesh wind blocker and it spells aerodynamic chaos (i.e. wind noise!). Needless to say I'm very disappointed.

Would any of you happen to know if there's a back panel that can go onto the back of the mounting gear? If not I'm just going to get some gaffers tape or the fix-everything duct tape and block the areas that cause the noise.

Thanks in advance.

nathantw 01-05-2013 12:34 PM

Re: Whisbar isn't whispering

Got a message from Yakima, it seems tape is the solution. Pity. I slapped some tape onto the offending singers and sure enough, quiet as a church mouse.

On another note, I can't believe I misspelled the name of the bar itself. It's Whispbar. Argh!

crpark0 01-30-2013 12:06 AM

How did you identify the areas that were making noise? Did you go with the flush whispbar or extended arms? Would you recommend them?

wta0002 02-12-2013 11:29 AM

Have the same problem and was thinking about layering some electric tape on it. Thanks for confirming!

nathantw 02-15-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crpark0 (Post 750641)
How did you identify the areas that were making noise? Did you go with the flush whispbar or extended arms? Would you recommend them?

Sorry it took me so long to reply. Basically you can identify the areas making noise by having the sunroof open and just localizing. It's most likely the mount instead of the bar since a lot of science goes into making it quiet. Since the mount has a huge open gap where the wind would be able to swirl around and make noise it's the most suspicious area.

Would I recommend the bar? Sure since they were easy to install and take off and once I put the gaffers tape around the mount it was pretty quiet. If I could do it again, though, I'd get the extended arms because it'll help with tie downs. The flush bar, which I have, doesn't have anywhere to tie down a rope.

So after all is said and done, it doesn't matter if the mount make noise or not if I actually have something to carry on the crossbar since that will be making all the noise too.

Roki303 05-10-2013 06:03 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Just got Whispbar bars installed on my 2014 Overland. Fits well no issue. I'm actually very pleased with how quite the rack is. If I turn off everything (AC, stereo) from time to time I can hear short whistling noise but it is barely noticeable and only at around 40 mph. Going on the highway 70 - 80mph no issues at all.

Very happy with the purchase. Bars actually don't block the view via the moon roof (actually I cannot see them from inside from normal sitting position). Also like the look of the roof rack. Here are some photos of the rig.

rdnak 05-23-2013 06:57 PM

What is the model number for these? Thanks!!

rdnak 05-24-2013 08:44 AM

Anybody have pricing and a model Number for these?

mceb 05-24-2013 03:31 PM

They are made by Yakima, their site has a fit guide. http://yakima.com/learn/whispbar

Roki303 05-24-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mceb (Post 828639)
They are made by Yakima, their site has a fit guide. Yakima Racks & Carriers Learn Whispbar

The Rack Warehouse Homepage has 20%off on them plus there is a coupon for 10% off - "travel2" or "travel10" if I remeber correctly.

I used configurator that they have there to get all the part numbers.

VermontJGC14 05-24-2013 10:57 PM

What a gorgeous rig. Love the 18s, and so refreshing not to see them blacked out like everybody on here seems to do.