Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Fr diff concern?? Elsd, qd ii (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/fr-diff-concern-elsd-qd-ii-52386.html)

SILVERCHAMP 01-03-2013 02:09 PM

Fr diff concern?? Elsd, qd ii

Ok, so i just got a used 2005 wk limited hemi, w/ qdii, 76k miles. I have had quite a few jeeps/willys in my past but this one is a little different. I am on the central coast of ca, so it is not terribly cold but when the vehicle is cold the fr diff seems to stay "locked" untill the fluid seems to warm up, 10-20 miles. Now it is not locked to the point that the tires crow hop but you can feel the difference and it has a hard time returning the steering wheel to center. I have changed the fluid and added the proper amount of friction modifier. I have no lights/messages for service or malfunction. It works great off road and is fine when warm. Thoughts?

JeepCoop 01-03-2013 02:49 PM

I'd say change the fluids and add the friction modifier and you should be fine. Congrats in the Jeep! QDII is the bomb!

SILVERCHAMP 01-03-2013 02:52 PM

Re: Fr diff concern?? Elsd, qd ii

Did that...synthetic fluid and mopar modifier....

JeepCoop 01-03-2013 03:18 PM

Hmmm. What do you mean when you say it's, "locked up?"

SILVERCHAMP 01-03-2013 03:21 PM

Can hear and feel the fr tires scrub...has a groan to it also..when i put it in the air and spin the tires by hand they start as an open diff for about half a turn then lock and go the same direction....the rear acts like an open diff normally...but when warm, no sound..and acts like an open diff in the air and on the ground

spyder873 01-03-2013 04:39 PM

Alot of times you dont need the modifier with synthetic gear lube. I had a ECTd locker that would do this some times . I moved to a lighter gear lube in the winter . This way it would not thicken up as much.

JeepCoop 01-03-2013 05:31 PM

Weird. Never heard it before.

spyder873 01-03-2013 05:57 PM

The jeep it was in was the trail jeep , so it didnt get driven to much thru the week . It seemed like the clutch plates would "loosen" and then after driving awhile or doing some figure 8's in a parking lot . they would be good to go the rest of the day .

What you might want to try is put it in 4 low ( the lockers should engage) then take it out of 4 low, drive forward a bid and reverse and see if maybe they were stuck . This might just give it a bump and get it to disengage

SILVERCHAMP 01-03-2013 06:35 PM

From what i can tell, and correct me if i'm wrong..with the electronic limited slip diff setups, low range does change the activation. It goes from input through the wheel speed sensors. It measures slip, based on speed differential it applies the clutches to transfer power to the wheel with traction. As far as the fluid, i added the modifier because it says to do so in the service manual both front and rear. Your fluid idea makes sense though as far as the weight change....

spyder873 01-03-2013 06:58 PM

What brand gear lube did you use? Most conventional gear lube oil are not as slippery as its synthetic counterparts.

That's why its important to know what brand you filled it with. I switched over to conventional lube because I would change mine fairly often . I would always get a leak after a trail ride. So to make sure I didn't get any water in the dif I would drain it a lot.

Its just something to look at that might cause the problem

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

spyder873 01-03-2013 07:01 PM

You are correct in how it works. Its possible the clutch pack may be stuck ( it is a mechanical device) .

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

SILVERCHAMP 01-03-2013 07:11 PM

I used valvoline synthetic 75w140... I was going to try unplugging the switch that activates the clutches/unit. See if i got normal diff operation in the air...maybe it is not disengaging completely...i don't have any abs or trac control lights on so i know i have good input from the wheel sensors...it may just have bad clutches, it just seems weird that it goes away entirely when warm.