Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   430n map automatically zooming in and out. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/430n-map-automatically-zooming-in-and-out-52421.html)

Winston Wolf 01-04-2013 08:47 AM

430n map automatically zooming in and out.

Does anyone know the secret to when/why the Garmin navigation map zoom level changes on its own? I actually like the feature, but want to know the criteria the software uses to make the change, so I can truly enjoy the feature.

So far, it appears to always start (after being shut off) in the ".2" mile scale. Then as you start to drive, it goes to an adjustable setting, we will call it setting 1. It seems to remember this from whatever level you last had it in while in this mode. Then as you get up to speed on the highway, it will unzoom to setting 2. It will also remember the zoom level you last had it on for setting 2. It appears to stay on setting 2 until you drive on an off ramp or slow down too some speed, then reverts to zoom 1.

What are all the zoom level change criteria? Is it by speed or type of roadway? How many settings are there? Thanks.

AAAA 01-04-2013 09:29 AM

Re: 430n map automatically zooming in and out.

I assume it is speed related. Pretty clever and handy IMO. I believe it is a Garmin feature.

brandont 01-04-2013 10:54 AM

Garmin thing, based on speed. All my Garmins have had it. I think there is an option to turn it off, at least on the actual Garmin units.

FAUEE 01-04-2013 01:58 PM

I wasn't sure if it was speed based or distance to next turn based.

It was sort of weird at first, but now I actually like it.

Winston Wolf 01-04-2013 02:05 PM

This is what my testing found today.

1) 0.2 miles at start up. Remains at .2 until you drive onto a road, at which point it goes to slow speed mode.
2) Slow speed mode will remain until 55-60 mph, at which time it kicks into High speed mode. It will go to slow speed mode when the speed drops below 45 mph.
3) High speed mode at 55-60 mph+, kicks out when speed drops to <45 mph
4) Ramp speed mode. Any time the nav says "DRIVING ON RAMP" is will go to a 3rd adjustable level.

All 3 modes are adjustable, and the unit remembers what you have them at.

Eg. I have my low speed set at 500 ft, ramp set at 800 ft, and high speed set at 0.5 miles. Works great.

bpd138 01-04-2013 03:55 PM

Hello,
For the life of me I cannot find where to change that setting in my system. Can someone please enlighten me?
Thanks again,
Willie

Winston Wolf 01-04-2013 07:34 PM

I don't think you can change the settings, only adjust the zoom levels.

bpd138 01-04-2013 10:23 PM

Okay, I get it now. Thanks.

Geep2013 01-05-2013 01:00 PM

This nav system does a few cool things. It somehow remembers where you go at certain times. The other day I started it up and it said hockey rink 19 minutes. I was going to the rink but didn't put that that into the nav that day. Last night I left work and at the top of the nav screen it said home 12 miles, how did it know I was going home? there must be a setting I have turned on that remembers where you go on certain days and times. Either that or big brother is really watching, lol.

JoeSchmoe007 01-05-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geep2013 (Post 732898)
This nav system does a few cool things. It somehow remembers where you go at certain times. The other day I started it up and it said hockey rink 19 minutes. I was going to the rink but didn't put that that into the nav that day. Last night I left work and at the top of the nav screen it said home 12 miles, how did it know I was going home? there must be a setting I have turned on that remembers where you go on certain days and times. Either that or big brother is really watching, lol.

Its neither - your car is Transformer, you just need to find out if its a good one or a bad one.

Geep2013 01-06-2013 07:11 PM

Lol, so far it's a good one. Also just found out that if you turn on the show travel history and go onto an off road trail you can just follow the blue line back instead of getting lost like I usually do,lol.

AAAA 01-08-2013 11:27 AM

And be sure you have chosen the JGC icon for your car on the map. I just wish I could change it's color.