Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Dropped the Jeep off tonight for a litany of warranty issues... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/dropped-the-jeep-off-tonight-for-a-litany-of-warranty-issues-52548.html)

SW03ES 01-06-2013 10:16 PM

Dropped the Jeep off tonight for a litany of warranty issues...

Hey all,

Dropped the Jeep off tonight for a litany of warranty issues (23,500 miles):

1. Cruise control intermittently does not turn on without vehicle restart, and sometimes cuts out when set (second repair attempt, switch was replaced at about 5,000 miles)
2. EVIC steering wheel buttons intermittently do not work/are slow to respond
3. Driver's door handle lock button intermittently does not work
4. Rear window leaks from the top
5. Rear window switch on exterior hatch does not function

Love the Jeep, but coming from Toyotas we're really not used to these little piddly issues.

I'll let everybody know what the outcome is

mr_bots 01-07-2013 07:23 AM

Hopefully they get it all fixed this time. Every car I've had always had little issues like that within the first year or two but then after getting them lined out they've been trouble free. Jeep included, after a few issues within the first year (key fobs, driver seat heater, the well known ecm/tcm tsbs for early 11s) but has now been trouble free for about 15 months and 25k miles.

SW03ES 01-07-2013 02:29 PM

Re: Dropped the Jeep off tonight for a litany of warranty issues...

Like I said, I love the Jeep but I gotta disagree based on my experience. I don't think having 5 warranty failures within the first year is typical or acceptable. While it may be an improvement for Chrysler, and I recognize that coming from where they were this is an incredible product, they've still got some work to do based on this experience. I've never had this many warranty failures over the entire lifetime of a vehicle I've owned, let alone in the first year. They're minor, admittedly but all the same. a $40,000 vehicle should have buttons that work longer than a year.

The other issue is dealer support. I had an appointment for 8AM this morning. Dropped it on the night drop, it was one of only two vehicles there. Called in, once they found my paperwork the Jeep hasn't even been back there yet as of 2:30.

While I for one have been lambasted on this board for maintaining that Jeep is not a luxury brand and owners should not expect that level of service...I expect them to at least honor my appointment.

I made it known that if it weren't ready by today, which I assume it will not be, I want a loaner car. I'm not going to run around and share a car with my wife while they let my car sit on their damn lot for 6 hours after my scheduled appointment without even looking at it.

padgett 01-07-2013 06:44 PM

Been to dealer twice for oil changes. Last time I asked to check the cruise control and the flashed "something". Took 40 minutes instead on 20.

I have had very good luck with new cars and problems have usually been oddball (ignition coil failed). Did have a 3800 drop the center cam bearings in Indiana at 80,000 miles. Dealer said was gauge. Wasn't but drove home (1,000 miles) at Interstate speeds with no problem except no oil pressure.

SW03ES 01-07-2013 07:31 PM

Got an update. Ordering parts to replace the cruise control switch again, as well as the other switches. He hopes to have it back to me tomorrow morning, if not then he's going to put me in a rental...

Jones223 01-07-2013 08:14 PM

You may want to check the motor vehicle lemon laws in your state.

jp467 01-07-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jones223 (Post 734105)
You may want to check the motor vehicle lemon laws in your state.

Lemon law?? Because of some warrenty repairs?? I know this has to be a joke right?

SW03ES 01-07-2013 11:32 PM

I wouldn't even consider the lemon law, the issues are so minor. Annoying, thats all...

ernestd 01-08-2013 10:17 AM

Hang in there buddy!
Use your warranty .

brandont 01-08-2013 11:09 AM

I'm with you on Jeep's service and issues. We've had a number of other brands and never had this many issues. Most of our cars have never had a single warrantee issue that we found (some recalls we never asked for came up). Mine is about to go in for a second round of issues in the first year. Up to 7 or 8 issues already. An MDX is looking quite tempting right about now. Good luck with it though. I would demand a loaner or my car back if it is needed overnight.

Justal13 01-08-2013 11:16 AM

1. Cruise control intermittently does not turn on without vehicle restart, and sometimes cuts out when set (second repair attempt, switch was replaced at about 5,000 miles)
2. EVIC steering wheel buttons intermittently do not work/are slow to respond
3. Driver's door handle lock button intermittently does not work
4. Rear window leaks from the top
5. Rear window switch on exterior hatch does not function

1 and 2 are likely related - steering column/wheel wiring. All the steering wheel buttons are wired through a rotary power union/hub in the steering column. This should also be checked, cleaned adjusted and lubed properly.

3 and 5 may be related - there are some TSB's that may have to be run. Also, the antenna for the vehicle rear is located in the spare tire well and should be checked. Hopefully you already replaced your remote batteries. I only got 6 months out of my 1st, and just replaced the 2nd (after another 8 months). I can tell when it gets weak, the buttons behave just like yours by randomly taking multiple pushes or refusing to work properly.

http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0804011.pdf

4. There is a TSB for this. There are multiple forum posts regarding rear hatch leaks. A common leak is at the grommet for the wiring going from the body to the hatch. This required removal of the air dam/3rd brake light at the top of the door.

http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_2303311.pdf

Best luck, they should get this all fixed for you.

mort81 01-10-2013 11:27 AM

I purchased my 2012 WK2 Laredo 3.6 in December 2011. I had 2 issues with the vehicle. First the dreaded cylinder misfire. Took 3 visits to fix the issue( 1st was a reflash, 2nd time they replaced the cylinder head, 3rd time they replaced the cylinder head the replaced because it was faulty).

Second issue was with a knocking sound coming from front passenger side wheel well. 1st visit said it was sway bar bushings and had to replace entire sway bar but had to order the part. So took it back for 2nd visit and had away bar replaced. Picked it up and turned right back around to the dealer cause the noise was still there. Dealer said it is the control arm and they had to order it. 3rd visit they replace the control arm and called me once that was done and said noise is still there. They said they ordered new axle, bearing, and hub and will diagnose further once parts come in to find out what was wrong. So 4th visit they installed all of that stuff and seems the noise is gone now. I was furious that they replaced parts that were not broken or faulty. They should be able to diagnose the problem and change the faulty part instead of just replacing parts for the hell of it. If my Jeep wasn't under warranty I can't imagine what they would have charged me to replace all that they did, when half of what they replaced wasn't broken.