Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - ZJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f78/)
-   -   Tire Recommendations (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f78/tire-recommendations-52674.html)

Hollywood 01-09-2013 06:20 PM

Tire Recommendations

Went to replace my Goodyear Wrangler HP's (P225 70R 16) today, and was very disappointed to be told they were discontinued. I've always gotten 50k miles out of a set, and have had them on the truck since new.

Salesman wanted to sell me Mastercrafts (made by Cooper), but I chose to wait. Would love to hear what tires folks are running & what they'd suggest?

JeepFreak12 01-18-2013 06:13 AM

Re: Tire Recommendations

What kind of tires are you looking for? My winter wheels I'm running toyo open country a/t and i love them, nice road tire and good grip in the snow and mud.

Hollywood 01-18-2013 06:16 AM

Looking for a good all season, all weather tire to replace the Goodyear Wrangler HP's (OEM tire). Thinking about the Continental LX20's. Anyone have any experience/comments about them?

apstang50 03-01-2013 08:03 PM

I'm running 235/70/16 general grabber a/t 2's on my niner, I've only had them on a few weeks but so far they are great. The day after I put them on we got 15-16" of snow, they are great in the snow! Great on the road to.

ZJ JIM 96 03-16-2013 12:18 AM

Best tires I ever ran on the ZJ were Bridgestone Dueller AT (not Revo) 31x10.5 Lasted a good 50,000 and wore very evenly. Cheaped out on Mesa AP's after that, and they weren't too bad as far as traction and wear, but they rode a lot rougher.

lstowell 05-24-2013 05:57 PM

I've had Michelin AT/2, M+S, Cooper Discoverer, Hankook, and another set of Michelin M+S/2 currently installed.

The Michelin AT/2 was somewhat disappointing in that traction didn't seem much better on vegetation than the M+S. Plus they only lasted about 70% as long as the M+S and were notably noisier.

For generic use, where you want good dry, pretty good wet, driveable snow, and even a bit of mild off road, it is hard to beat the M+S. My last set lasted 7 years with drives over Donner Pass frequently [CA don't like studs]

For harsher winter, the Hankook can be studded and the tread strongly resembles the Nokia. However, they are quite squirmy and notably noisy... with quite good severe Colorado mountain or street ice traction.

However, the Cooper Discoverer can also be studded, have a much more open tread and work quite well off road, plus their studded noise is way quieter. Traction is just as good as Hankook, and the best thing is the Coopers drive with the on rails feeling of a good Michelin.

If you have to go with a single tire, the Cooper Discoverer is quite good all around if you leave the studs off.

jerkylips 05-24-2013 09:06 PM

Another vote for the Coopers. Currently running the AT3s and they are outstanding. The biggest surprise for me is the on road dry grip. My vehicle handles better/feels sportier. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

TurboWarp 05-26-2013 08:17 PM

I use gy triple tread. They are quiet and very good in snow but do not last long.

Cuja444 08-27-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood (Post 735471)
Went to replace my Goodyear Wrangler HP's (P225 70R 16) today, and was very disappointed to be told they were discontinued. I've always gotten 50k miles out of a set, and have had them on the truck since new.

Salesman wanted to sell me Mastercrafts (made by Cooper), but I chose to wait. Would love to hear what tires folks are running & what they'd suggest?

Im a service manager at a tire retailer and i would rec. Mich Ltx they last forever, quiet and smooth riding.

Trav1s 08-28-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerkylips (Post 828786)
Another vote for the Coopers. Currently running the AT3s and they are outstanding. The biggest surprise for me is the on road dry grip. My vehicle handles better/feels sportier. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

Sporting the AT3's on my WJ and I am very happy with them. I have 14k miles on them (including one winter and a fair amount of time on gravel roads). The AT3 is a huge leap from the old Discoverer AT I had on my XJ.

http://us.coopertire.com/CooperTires...t=343&ext=.jpg

stilljeepin 10-16-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerkylips (Post 828786)

Any updates on the Coopers?? I'm looking into a set myself and have been hearing some mixed reviews. I'll be using them mostly on dry highway so can you comment on the road noise and manners?

Thanks!

jerkylips 10-16-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stilljeepin (Post 912050)
Any updates on the Coopers?? I'm looking into a set myself and have been hearing some mixed reviews. I'll be using them mostly on dry highway so can you comment on the road noise and manners?

Thanks!

No complaints...at all. As far as noise, I get some hum right at 40 mph, but 3 mph above or below & it disappears. I also went up a couple sizes from oem, so that's probably a factor too. Road manners, compared to the Wrangler STs is a huge improvement. Tons of grip in road. The biggest surprise for me, by far, is wet/rain handling. They're really incredible in the wet. The tires are great and I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.