Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Selec-terrain question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/selec-terrain-question-52688.html)

Ferri1c 01-09-2013 11:41 PM

Selec-terrain question

Hi,

I just registered here. I am a first time jeep owner today. 2011 V8 Overland. I live in metro Detroit area. I drive almost always on pavement and sometimes on dirt roads ( the dirt roads are not "off road" type with obstacles etc)

Sales guy tossed me the keys when I was ready to take my new purchase home and he said "oh just keep the selec-terrain on auto, and don't worry about adjusting the quadra-lift. If its on auto the jeep will figure out the best mode and height to be at by itself."

Is this guy right? I'm the type of person that wants to understand the reason behind my options. I'd like to know the advantages and the appropriate times to use the different settings. I find it hard to believe that jeep gave us all these settings to only stay on auto.

Can anyone explain when to use auto vs sport? Obviously snow and mud and rock are self explanatory but will auto really switch my jeep to snow mode for me next snowfall?

If this topic has already been discussed I apologize. Just confused and would like some feedback from any of you.

Thanks,

Carlo

ColdCase 01-09-2013 11:48 PM

Re: Selec-terrain question

It may be pretty well described in the manual.

Normal does not do anything to ride height until you reach highway speed, then it lowers a bit to be more aerodynamic.

Sport lowers the suspension a little to lower the CG to give you a bit more sporty feel. It also changes the shift points a bit and biases the power to the rear wheels... some drivers like the feel.. the biggest advantage, however, is you can squeal the tires exiting the DQ parking lot and impress all the adolescents there :)

You should drive it in normal or sport and see what you like better. Sport will give you a bit better mpg around town where you have many stops and goes, normal better on the highway.

Use the other modes only for slippery conditions, it will not sense snow and automatically shift to snow mode. It just senses wheel spin and auto does OK in the snow.

Many use the QL park position to lower the Jeep for easier exit and entrance.

Ferri1c 01-10-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 735683)
It may be pretty well described in the manual.

Normal does not do anything to ride height until you reach highway speed, then it lowers a bit to be more aerodynamic.

Sport lowers the suspension a little to lower the CG to give you a bit more sporty feel. It also changes the shift points a bit and biases the power to the rear wheels... some drivers like the feel.. the biggest advantage, however, is you can squeal the tires exiting the DQ parking lot and impress all the adolescents there :)

You should drive it in normal or sport and see what you like better. Sport will give you a bit better mpg around town where you have many stops and goes, normal better on the highway.

Use the other modes only for slippery conditions, it will not sense snow and automatically shift to snow mode. It just senses wheel spin and auto does OK in the snow.

Many use the QL park position to lower the Jeep for easier exit and entrance.

Thank you for the quick response. When you say "normal" I assume you mean auto? Great explanation. I think I understand my options better. Only thing I guess I don't understand is why sport is better mpg on city, while auto would be better mpg on highway. I would think sport would be better in mpg due to aerodynamics? Either way it sounds like the sales guy was talking out of his a**

ColdCase 01-10-2013 10:23 AM

In sport, gears are held longer so in stop and go there in not as much gear shifting and less energy wasted. The rpms are held in better economy range for stop and go. Difference is noticeable but not much.

Yes, meant auto when I typed normal... sorry.

Yadkin 01-10-2013 01:13 PM

Yes your sales guy is full of crap. He should be selling shoes not Jeeps.

Aiyer 01-10-2013 01:28 PM

My sales guy said that the V6 engine shuts off 2 cylinders when cruising on highway.

When in snow, use the "snow" mode. there is a noticeable difference in the way it handles in snow.

Yadkin 01-10-2013 01:39 PM

I can't stand salesmen who don't know their products. When I find one who does, I always go back to him.

AAAA 01-10-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiyer (Post 735976)
My sales guy said that the V6 engine shuts off 2 cylinders when cruising on highway.

When in snow, use the "snow" mode. there is a noticeable difference in the way it handles in snow.

No. Yes.

xJoshxx 01-10-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiyer (Post 735976)

he's an idiot. don't go back there.

2 is correct in Snow you start off in 2nd.

Ferri1c 01-11-2013 04:25 AM

Yea the sales guy was definitely an idiot, lucky for him the vehicle sold itself not him.

So for general situations it sounds like I should use sport for dry pavement city use, auto for dry pavement highway use, snow for all snow use, sand/mud for dirt road use, and probally never rock use since I don't rock climb anywhere.

I've wanted a Jeep for 10 years or so I'm so happy I finally made it happen.

Thanks all,

Carlo

AAAA 01-11-2013 09:16 AM

Yes, but don't get anal about the Select Terrain. Just enjoy it and keep your eyes on the road.

ColdCase 01-11-2013 09:45 AM

Snow mode is more useful for the deep or very slippery stuff. Same with sand/mud, more useful for driving on soft sand or really muddy sections. Otherwise auto mode does fine on dirt roads. Depending on how you like to drive, it is no big deal. No need to be that precise.