Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Black Ops Grille (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/black-ops-grille-52698.html)

2012 Summit 01-10-2013 05:38 AM

Black Ops Grille

Does anyone here have the Black Ops carbon fiber grille installed on their Grand Cherokee?

If so, does it attach properly to the existing grille and how is the fit?

Thanks in advance.

2012 Summit 01-11-2013 11:46 AM

Re: Black Ops Grille

...Bueller?

nlowell 01-11-2013 12:29 PM

I tried to order one and Chad had one made for me but he didn't sell it to me because he wasn't happy with the fitment during a test fit. That is all I know. I was bummed...ended up using plastidip instead.

2012 Summit 01-11-2013 01:49 PM

Thanks for the reply.

jgc4ever 01-11-2013 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some guy in Russia got it:

Scottina06 01-11-2013 08:44 PM

Call him and order one

2012 Summit 01-12-2013 07:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 736935)
Call him and order one

Yeah, that's what I did a few weeks ago. I was trying to get some input from others who also installed the grille.

The one I received doesn't fit very well along the lower center portion. It's like it's sprung and the little clips that hold it in place can't overcome the tension so the bottom is popped-out.

Chad and I have been in contact attempting to figure out a solution. I have tried heating/cooling cycles with a heat gun while the grille was zip-tied into the proper position. It was suggested to park in the sun for a while. I also tried using a fan-forced electric heater blowing on it while parked in my heated garage. So far I have not had any luck correcting the problem. Chad mentioned I might have to wait until summer in order to get enough sun & heat to reshape the grille. Chad explained to me that the carbon fiber is uncured and will eventually conform to the proper shape if temporarily held in place.

I must admit, Chad has been a real gentleman throughout our conversations. During our most recent conversation, Chad mentioned he has sold dozens of these grilles without any problems whatsoever. He also said maybe the problem is with my OEM grille. I actually have three OEM grilles here: the overland on my jeep, the original summit grille, and a limited grille. Unfortunately, the carbon fiber does not properly fit any of them.

I explained to Chad that it doesn't fit the three different grilles I have and mentioned I'm not too comfortable waiting until summertime in hopes of a fix to the problem. It's been a couple days now and I have not heard back from Chad.

The center portion of the grille on the bottom has a space of about 3/8" - 1/2" from the plastic mesh. I could probably live with the space, but since the clips aren't engaged, the grille is just floating.

Raptor 01-14-2013 01:06 PM

Wait for the summer sun! Thats a joke right? :(

Send it back and get one that fits or if thats not possible get your money back!

2012 Summit 01-14-2013 02:56 PM

First of all, Chad is a great guy to deal with and his attention to this issue has been above and beyond the call of duty. His attitude is “the customer is always right” He will take it back and give me a full refund. It's me that wants to make it work because the grille is really sharp looking on my GC.

It's not a joke. We're just trying to figure out a way to reshape it slightly for a better fit. I kept it zip-tied in place and used a fan-forced electric heater blowing on the grille while parked in my heated garage for a couple days and it actually helped quite a bit.

Next, I'm going to drill and pin the bottom tabs in place and I think it should be okay. The carbon fiber piece just replaces the existing chrome shell on the OEM grille so I don't see any issues with drilling and pinning the center tabs.

Hacksaw 01-14-2013 05:33 PM

Have you considered using a strip of 3M VHB or UHB adhesive ? It will hold it in place ...forever

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

2012 Summit 01-14-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hacksaw (Post 739359)
Have you considered using a strip of 3M VHB or UHB adhesive ? It will hold it in place ...forever

Nothing to attach the 3M to. There's only the thin edge of the carbon fiber and the plastic mesh.

Hacksaw 01-14-2013 06:37 PM

Couldn't you stick it to the factory grill and push the black ops down to it and make it stick