Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/)
-   -   upgrading dash lights. anybody use a kit? help!!!!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/upgrading-dash-lights-anybody-use-a-kit-help-5271.html)

ronsaun 01-04-2010 12:31 AM

upgrading dash lights. anybody use a kit? help!!!!!

03wj. i am upgrading my interior lamps to led bright blue. i have done a ton of research and have found it will be easy if i can get the parts cross referenced properly. that seems to be the biggest hurdle. what i have discovered is that the lamps are not a problem. it is the bases. if i can figure out the base sizes then i can do this easily, as i have identified and cross referenced "ALL" the interior lamps. hence, i have found a kit on ebay. i have to question the relatively cheap price however. has anyone used a kit or upgraded their interior lights? any help from people that have actually done it would be appreciated. thanks, ron:banghead:

Sodelcustoms 01-05-2010 10:16 PM

Re: upgrading dash lights. anybody use a kit? help!!!!!

Havn't done it but have been interested in changing up mine. Be sure to post pics!

Scottina06 01-05-2010 10:34 PM

wjjeeps.com will have all the bulb numbers...then go to vleds.com to order

Dcocch 01-08-2012 02:31 PM

I did my dash lights with blue LEDs. They are 74-series lights. All you need to do is order the LEDs and take the dash apart (4 screws) after prying the plastic above the steering wheel off.

I believe it is 5 lights on the dash, 4 in the AC/heat console. It took me about 15-20min to do dash. The AC/heat controls it's hard, just don't disconnect the connector on the knob that has defrost, off, top air, bottom air, etc. that has little springs that are a PITA to put back together.

I still haven't figured out if it is possible to change the color of the odometer. Oh, and those 3 spots where the blue looks brighter and an aqua-color is much less distinct in real life. I never noticed it until I saw the picture but it's because the LEDs are right behind those spots.

[IMG]http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/.../Picture17.png[/IMG]

Amelie 01-08-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 126410)
then go to vleds.com to order

A little biased are we? lol

@ronsaun: I thought about doing the dash lights but figured they were sufficiently bright enough and didn't worry about the hassle

bsmith0612 01-15-2012 05:02 PM

I havent done this YET, but i have done research on this topic. i believe you can go to eBay and get T5 LED bulbs for less than $2.00 for a pack of 10. these, from what i understand, are plug and play. but for $2, and free shipping, its worth a shot if i cant find any more information

HOWEVER, can i also do the center console? the gear selector for park, reverse, nuetral, etc, and the 4 hi, 4lo, n, and 2hi in blue??

Amelie 01-15-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsmith0612 (Post 553152)
HOWEVER, can i also do the center console? the gear selector for park, reverse, nuetral, etc, and the 4 hi, 4lo, n, and 2hi in blue??

I believe there is no possible way to change the color of those lights.

This is something I found:

Shift console lighting:

The shift console uses a membrane for its lighting, there are no bulbs that can be replaced. The shift handles are a pain to remove, but you can leave them on to get to the lighting strip which is located under the shift plate cover. Check the wiring for the light strip, I believe it is an orange wire. If the light strip is defective it is not available separately, the shifter parts only come as a complete assembly.

bsmith0612 01-15-2012 06:27 PM

i know the newer Ford full size trucks have bulbs, i wasnt sure if the WJ Jeep did or not... sadly. i was really hoping for it. where did you find that information at? i didnt think to look at wjjeeps.com for that one

Amelie 01-15-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsmith0612 (Post 553200)
i know the newer Ford full size trucks have bulbs, i wasnt sure if the WJ Jeep did or not... sadly. i was really hoping for it. where did you find that information at? i didnt think to look at wjjeeps.com for that one

Here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...light-1127742/

bsmith0612 01-15-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reichminister Goebbels (Post 553215)

that bit of information came from wjjeeps.com, or vice versa. i guess i am SOL for blue center console lights. unless i can get a thin blue translucent film to lay over the "membrane"

think i might look onto that....

Amelie 01-15-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsmith0612 (Post 553279)
that bit of information came from wjjeeps.com, or vice versa. i guess i am SOL for blue center console lights. unless i can get a thin blue translucent film to lay over the "membrane"

think i might look onto that....

What's the problem with the stock lights? Not bright enough or you just want blue?

bsmith0612 01-15-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reichminister Goebbels (Post 553280)
What's the problem with the stock lights? Not bright enough or you just want blue?

i just want blue. i decided on doing the gauge cluster, and the heater controls, so i thought with those and my head unit being blue, i might as well see about the center console. just to make it match and be nice and clean :)