Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Help!!! Can't remove wheel to put spare on... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/help-cant-remove-wheel-to-put-spare-on-52735.html)

mbeutler1203 01-10-2013 10:08 PM

Help!!! Can't remove wheel to put spare on...

Super embarrassing I know! Truck is up, lugs are all off but I absolutely cannot budge the right rear wheel off!! Any tips???

steveo 01-10-2013 10:33 PM

Re: Help!!! Can't remove wheel to put spare on...

Hit it with a mallet or use a pry bar.

kennzz05 01-11-2013 12:08 AM

if all else fails put the lugs back on loosely, (like 1 turn from snug) and drive it down youre driveway

ColdCase 01-11-2013 09:48 AM

I use hit the tire sidewall (not the rim) with a heavy sledge (10-20 lb) . May take a couple hits, they can be stubborn. Haven't had to do the rolling on loose lug nut trick yet.

Gary GC 01-15-2013 08:43 AM

You do not need to be embarrased. This is very common on all modern vehicles with Aluminum wheels bolted onto Steel brake discs or drums. The disimilar metals corode over time and create a bond between the two materials. The only ways to remove the wheel are to hit the tire with a mallet or to spray something between the two surfaces to free it up. (like WD40)

I would not recomend the other trick of loosening the lug nuts then rolling on the tire. This sounds like it could possibly damage something.

What you do need to do however is once the weather warms up, take all your wheels off and put a thin coat of anti-sieze compound on the surface of the wheel that touches the rotor. You will clearly see this outline on the rotor and is fairly evident on the wheel. I personally use permatex, which is gray in color. I wipe this on the wheel everytime I rotate the ties and have never once had any issue with the wheel bonding itself to the rotor. Do not put the compound on the lug nuts and use very sparingly, a lot goes a long way.

I wish I could take credit for this trick but cannot. A shop forman of a dealership showed me this trick over 15 years ago and was something they did to all customer cars.

Hacksaw 01-15-2013 09:17 AM

I had an old Toyota pickup that had that problem and it had steel wheels. I used a 16lb sledge and it wouldn't come off...I finally had to put the lug nuts on loosely and power slide it into a curb to break it free...of course my tires were just shot not flat and I didn't care about replacing the wheel as that was the reason they were coming off in the first place...

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

spyder873 01-15-2013 09:26 AM

just remember to put a little layer of anti-seize on the rim , where it touches the brake rotor and you will never have to worry about it again .

padgett 01-15-2013 03:53 PM

It happens with dissimilar metals and hub-centric rims. Particularly if in a salt state a bit of antiseize on the hub when new is not a bad idea.

americanbulldog 01-16-2013 10:44 PM

That stuff never seizes to amaze me :lol:

Dabitz 01-22-2013 12:50 PM

I just sat on the floor and hit it with the bottom of my foot until it came out. :-)

scooterha 01-22-2013 02:14 PM

Lol

Jeep_addicted 01-22-2013 02:14 PM

I happened to me yesterday when changing the brakes too.

What I did was make sure the car was set on a jack stand then kicked the tire very close to the rim in several areas.

The blows freed it. I am planning paint the calipers and rotor hats soon so I will get some antiseize on the hubs when I am done.

One other thing I encountered for the first time is that I noticed that the rotor is kept in place be an "O" ring. That's the first time I have seen that, but I most certainly works well.