Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Synthetic Oil Change Interval (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/synthetic-oil-change-interval-52753.html)

swing4terps 01-11-2013 11:51 AM

Synthetic Oil Change Interval

This is the first car in which I've used synthetic oil. (Mobil 1 to be specific). I typically changed my oil every 5,500 miles and used the service indicator on the Jeep as a reminder of when it needed to be done. Accruing 5,500 miles would typically take about 4 months, however my travel distance to work just went from 25 to 3 miles. So, getting to 5,500 is going to take quite a bit longer.

I know for conventional oil they typically say 3 months/3,000 miles. What is an appropriate calendar timespan for synthetic oil changes. X months/5,500 miles?

Thanks.

tfranzone 01-11-2013 12:10 PM

Re: Synthetic Oil Change Interval

I use full synthetic & change every 5K.. along with mopar filter and a tire rotation.

I'm sure you will be getting answers ranging from 3-8K. I like to think 5K is the standard for full synthetic, though.

dmsfun 01-11-2013 01:23 PM

Off the shelf synthetic 5k sounds about right, even though they claim you can go longer. I use Amsoil extended, good for 10k intervals and change it at 7500.

swing4terps 01-11-2013 05:32 PM

Yes but it is likely not advised to change at 5K if it takes you a year to get there. In unit of measure = months, what is an appropriate interval for synthetic?

lionoh 01-15-2013 07:52 PM

I stay 5 miles from work and run full synthetic so it would take me 6-7 months before I hit 5k miles, I usually change my oil every 3 months just to keep my 5.7 happy. But I have gone 6 months on full synthetic without any problems, in my GMC pickup.

Kayak83 01-22-2013 01:05 PM

I use synthetic blend and I change every 5k miles. Usually around 4k or 4-5 months I start to try and get myself to go get it changed.

Gamma505 01-22-2013 01:27 PM

I use Amsoil 0W-30, top of their line, in various turbo'd cars I have owned over the last 12 years. Mileage per 12 months run up is around 10K. I used to have the oil analyzed in the beginning years, always showed excellent viscosity/lack of wear metals, et. al at end of those 12 month periods so I skip the analysis and change my synthetic q12m/10K miles now.

dr.lee.baugh 01-22-2013 02:09 PM

I too cut back on my driving the Jeep from racking up 5,000 miles every couple of months to only putting on a few hundred.

I run synthetic and replace every three months (even though I often now have run under 1000 miles during this time!)

With such short trips, the oil breaking down isn't going to be the problem...it's going to be condensation and combustion by-products in the oil not burning off - something that will happen regardless of whether you are running synthetic or not.

Depending on your climate, you may be just as good with conventional oil and changing every 3mos. as you are running synthetic, since under those operating conditions it's the short-cycles and infrequent trips that are going to do in the oil. I would switch over to conventional if I didn't have to start the vehicle in such cold temperatures...