Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   New Mopar windshield no longer tinted (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/new-mopar-windshield-no-longer-tinted-52760.html)

Lingohocken 01-11-2013 02:22 PM

New Mopar windshield no longer tinted
 
We just had the second cracked windshield replacement on our Overland. Because of the rain sensor grid in the windshield, I specified and both times received a Mopar replacement instead of aftermarket.

The first replacement, last May, was tinted slightly along the top just like the one that came with the vehicle. However, this time the windshield has no tint whatsoever.

I'm tall and no fan of tinting along windshield tops, although my foot-shorter wife feels differently. Whatever, it's interesting that the factory windshield is no longer being tinted. For the record, it's NAGs part #68080677AA.

We have no problem living without the tint, but now the automatic wipers take one swipe every time the ignition is turned on -- even at the lowest sensitivity setting at the wiper stalk.

bill_de 01-11-2013 03:06 PM

Re: New Mopar windshield no longer tinted
 
Somewhere, awhile back, the no tint was mentioned.

I believe it was decided that these windshields were meant for export models.

Not sure how well the search function works here, but you might be able to find the thread.

Lingohocken 01-11-2013 03:37 PM

Re: New Mopar windshield no longer tinted
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 736717)
Somewhere, awhile back, the no tint was mentioned.

I believe it was decided that these windshields were meant for export models.

Not sure how well the search function works here, but you might be able to find the thread.

Thanks, Bill. I haven't been able to unearth that thread, but what you say makes sense. If that's the case, perhaps Jeep sent our glass outfitter this windshield because with the holidays they'd run out of the usual ones.

Well, unless they've decided Pennsylvania is a foreign country. :D

BobsWK2 01-11-2013 04:59 PM

Re: New Mopar windshield no longer tinted
 
WK2 front windshield's for the US market do not have any darker tint across the top of windshield. It was another cost cutting move to save a few quarters per windshield.

Lingohocken 01-11-2013 07:53 PM

Re: New Mopar windshield no longer tinted
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 736800)
WK2 front windshield's for the US market do not have any darker tint across the top of windshield. It was another cost cutting move to save a few quarters per windshield.

Wow! This started with MY2013?

BobsWK2 01-11-2013 08:40 PM

Re: New Mopar windshield no longer tinted
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lingohocken (Post 736909)
Wow! This started with MY2013?

In the US, it started with the 11 model year. I believe the WJ was the last Grand Cherokee to come stock with the dark band of tint on the front windshield. No US WK2's came with the dark band of tint across the top of the front windshield.

In fact, I've yet to see a photo of any WK2 that came stock with the dark band of tint across the top of the front windshield. Unless it was applied aftermarket, and those look crappy.

Lingohocken 01-12-2013 01:43 PM

Re: New Mopar windshield no longer tinted
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 736933)
In the US, it started with the 11 model year. I believe the WJ was the last Grand Cherokee to come stock with the dark band of tint on the front windshield. No US WK2's came with the dark band of tint across the top of the front windshield.

In fact, I've yet to see a photo of any WK2 that came stock with the dark band of tint across the top of the front windshield. Unless it was applied aftermarket, and those look crappy.

Our '12 Overland came from the factory with slight tinting along the top -- ditto a Mopar replacement windshield last year. It's not so much a band as a subtle but effective tint at the top fading very gradually as it goes down. However, the Mopar replacement windshield this month definitely has zero tint, and the difference is clearly noticeable to the eye and results in an annoyingly sensitized automatic wiper function.

With respect to the latter, even at the least-sensitive stalk setting the wipers now do one swipe every time the ignition is turned on. As the left wiper's arc stops smack in the middle of the driver's view, after awhile this leaves a stripe in that field of view.

jonnyg 01-12-2013 08:02 PM

Re: New Mopar windshield no longer tinted
 
I just replaced my windshield last week and had the same issue with the rain sensing wiper. I called the installer back and they cleaned the "eye" because it had some dust on it and so far it has fixed the problem.

Lingohocken 01-14-2013 02:55 PM

Re: New Mopar windshield no longer tinted
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyg (Post 737499)
I just replaced my windshield last week and had the same issue with the rain sensing wiper. I called the installer back and they cleaned the "eye" because it had some dust on it and so far it has fixed the problem.

Interesting. Was your replacement clear or slightly tinted along the top?

John47 01-14-2013 05:25 PM

Re: New Mopar windshield no longer tinted
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 736933)
In the US, it started with the 11 model year. I believe the WJ was the last Grand Cherokee to come stock with the dark band of tint on the front windshield. No US WK2's came with the dark band of tint across the top of the front windshield.

In fact, I've yet to see a photo of any WK2 that came stock with the dark band of tint across the top of the front windshield. Unless it was applied aftermarket, and those look crappy.

We have a 2012 WK2 CRD here in Australia - it doesn't have a tint band on the windscreen - totally clear. I've never seen a tinted band windscreen on the export models we get.
The auto wiper function works perfectly.

BobsWK2 01-14-2013 07:20 PM

Re: New Mopar windshield no longer tinted
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by John47 (Post 739351)
We have a 2012 WK2 CRD here in Australia - it doesn't have a tint band on the windscreen - totally clear. I've never seen a tinted band windscreen on the export models we get.
The auto wiper function works perfectly.

Thanks. Like I said, I've yet to see ANY WK2, no matter what country its made for, with the front windshield having the darker band of tint (eyebrow) across the top of the windshield.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community