Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Members Rides (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f14/)
-   -   Lysol's '13 Mineral Grey Summit V8 Build (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f14/lysols-13-mineral-grey-summit-v8-build-52808.html)

lysol 01-12-2013 08:05 PM

Lysol's '13 Mineral Grey Summit V8 Build

***I re-posted my build thread because I put it in the wrong place earlier. Sorry for starting over but I didn't want the other one moved and get the awesome "moved" tag forever. lol.

I just bought my '13.... Let me start over... I just bought my wife her '13 Overland Summit in Mineral Grey with black interior in a V8. Picked it up right before X-mas. Got a good deal since the '14's are about to role out. It is still stock which is bugging the crap out of me. The Quadra-Lift wasn't my first pick on suspension but she wanted something nice and so we got it. Will have to tone down a lot of future mods because of it but it is fine.

My plans are to build a SUV that we can go on road trips w/ the option of going off road and camping. I am a techy guy and like things to look as much like stock as possible. I'm extremely OCD which slows me down a bit on projects but can't change that lol. I have always liked the SUV builds along the "overland" theme (not to be confused with the name Jeep used to call this SUV. It's a type of build that allows you to go almost everywhere). I will be limited in my tire size so I won't be able to reach my goal of 33" with appropriate clearance but I'm sure I'll be satisfied with 30" 's.

Not sure what order my future mods will be as of yet. I've already e-mailed GOBI for a custom rack idea. I want to be able to mount 2 small solar panels w/quick disconnects. Enough power to run a small fridge indefinitely. Also want to install a second battery with an isolator. The main battery will have charging priority over the second from the alternator but if the main is full, the Jeep will charge the second. Also, in a situation where the main is drained, you can connect the 2 with a switch and "jump start" your own Jeep. Pretty cool I think. The solar panels will only be set up to charge the spare. All accessories I install such as lights, radio (cb), etc... will get their power from the spare so I don't have to worry about draining my main starter battery. The power from the second battery will be cleaner than the main as far as interference goes (like with a cb radio) since it is "isolated" from the rest of the vehicle. Eventually will want a "low-key" brush guard w/winch. Some basic recovery gear and that's about it.

Not going to be able to go crazy with the suspension which is probably better for me since I can get a semi-overland setup to my taste faster. Don't have any future mod dates yet but figured I should start my own thread anyway.

Here she is a few days old:

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps655f6740.jpg

lysol 01-12-2013 08:07 PM

Re: Lysol's '13 Mineral Grey Summit V8 Build

So I've been e-mailing a few people for more information on the National Luna dual battery kit. I believe this will be the first thing done. Trying to do it right the first time and this should be first. I'm still undecided about the controller placement. Might velcro it to the underside of the center console lid or something.

Next project will be switches. I plan to have a panel w/switches installed before any accessories are installed. This way for example, as I install lights, the fuse/relay is already in place under the hood and the switch is already in the cab.

Here's my rough draft in my head for my switches using the OTRATTW switch faces.

Switch Face Layout:

Top - Symbol (Dimmable)
Bottom - Text (Serves as indicator if it is on or not)

Thinking about putting these up high in the space between the sunroof opening and the map lights.

--Text-- (On bottom(symbol on top))
--Switch Type--
-Back Light Color (Top / Bottom)-

Front LED Light Bars
on / off
blue / green

Bumper Led Bar Amber
on / off
blue / amber

Left Alley Light
on / off
blue / green

Right Alley Light
on / off
blue / green

Rear Led Bar
on / off
blue / green

Rock Lights
on / off
blue / green

All Lights - Would be cool to put a zombie or Apocalypse switch on this one. This switch will turn on ALL lights regardless if they are off or on. A bigger relay will most likely be needed.
on / off
blue / red

These will come later and don't have any ideas on placement

Arb Compressor
on / off
blue / green

Winch Power
on / off
blue / green

Winch In/Out
on / off / on
green / blue / green (This switch only lights up when "Winch Power" is on) The middle is a winch symbol and the outsides will be "In" and "Out" in text. I want all 3 spots on this switch to light up and be dimmable.

Well, these are my ideas for now at least. I needed a place to jot them down before I forget them. Lol.

lysol 01-12-2013 08:10 PM

I think I'm going to end up going with Wired HDH switch panel setup. They have a new panel coming out soon (talked to Patrick). The new one will allow the lower part with the sticker labels be "back-lit".

This will give me a small form factor (as thick as a credit card and smaller than the face of a Dollar bill) switch panel that I plan on sticking to the cubby door under the climate controls.

JeepCoop 01-12-2013 08:17 PM

Nice!! Love all the lights haha

lysol 01-12-2013 09:49 PM

Amazon just dropped my latest additions to my "recovery bag". Have one for every vehicle. One thing most people should have.

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/p...psd55c48cd.jpg

lysol 01-14-2013 09:46 AM

Stopping by a shop in Chantilly, VA tomorrow after work to discuss placement of the second battery. So far, I'm stumped... No space under the hood which sucks because that is the ideal place for wiring accessories to it. It' going to require some fines... lol.

lysol 01-18-2013 08:01 AM

Shop wasn't much help on the battery matter but I'm going to be going to a local audio shop and let them play around with the idea. They should be able to come up with something. I mean, they build custom sub boxes so yea...

On a second note, just got a Rigid SR-M diffused. Not going on my Jeep though. Driving down to AL and figured I would help fix my Dad's reverse light on his Jeep YJ. He would freak out if he found out I spent $100 on this light... lol. He would put a cheap flashlight on the back if he could. I am going to wire it up with a on/off/on switch in the cab. The top on will be light comes on in reverse and the bottom on is manual on. This is the first Rigid Industries light I've ever bought so I'm stoked to see how much light comes out of this little thing. If it's enough, I plan on using these on my roof rack for the sides in the future.

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/p...ringscheme.jpg

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/p...Jeep/photo.jpg