Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Front recovery hooks (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/front-recovery-hooks-52823.html)

WendysWheels 01-13-2013 03:36 AM

Front recovery hooks

I'm looking for guidance regarding fitting front recovery hooks. While I'm not planning to get stuck in a river crossing etc, I have already (by accident) travelled some less than decent roads/tracks and, well, you never know what could happen when I go exploring! So, to my mind, front recovery hooks are a necessity.

When I purchased my 2012 JGC Laredo, I expected it would have the recovery hooks - it's a 4WD isn't it? Simply never occurred to me that these would not be standard.

I have done some research and know that some people have been able to obtain fitment of the hooks free of charge. However, when I queried this with a dealer in Melb (before leaving on my 'big trip') and another here in Perth (where I'm currently enjoying the sights!), I was told that this is an extra and would therefore cost between $600 and $1k, as the vehicle was purchased without the recovery hooks, so I would need to pay to have them fitted.

Now, I know the old maxim of 'buyer beware', but I also wonder where Jeep would stand with the ACCC by removing what is a standard item in a 4WD.

Would appreciate any advice you might be able to offer. Thanks, WWW.

GMWK2 01-13-2013 03:44 AM

Re: Front recovery hooks

Fitment free of charge by Chrysler only applies to vehicles ordered up to early January 2012, as vehicles up to this time were being advertised as having the MY11 type recovery points. If you ordered after this date, you are on your own - sorry...

rich mac 01-13-2013 11:30 PM

Do a forum search, there have been several threads about adding front recovery (tow) hooks. My '11 Overland 4wd came without them, but I added them myself without too much difficulty. It took me about two hours to do the job (I'm old and fat). They can be purchased as a kit for about $160 (US dollars). see the attached link for an example.

Front Tow Hooks - Jeep Grand Cherokee - Item # 82212095

nathantw 01-14-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMWK2 (Post 737648)
Fitment free of charge by Chrysler only applies to vehicles ordered up to early January 2012, as vehicles up to this time were being advertised as having the MY11 type recovery points. If you ordered after this date, you are on your own - sorry...

Really? My 2012 was made in October, 2011. Do you think they'd give me hooks free of charge? I was going to buy them.

GMWK2 01-14-2013 12:04 AM

Whoa there....

These recovery hooks on the Just for Jeeps site won't fit the Australian GC - thus the problem.

I think some people have been able to source the Australian version off ebay at a good price rather than direct through a dealer.

The Australian recovery hook is fairly simple to fit if you are handy, or you could get a local mechanic to fit it for you - took me about two hours.

GMWK2 01-14-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Do you think they'd give me hooks free of charge?
Are you in Australia?

GMWK2 01-14-2013 12:12 AM

Just for fun, here is the thread.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/no-to...elp-32051.html

Read it and weep.

WendysWheels 01-14-2013 12:44 AM

Thanks everyone. While I fiddle with things I know about (and can generally sort out if I stuff it up :o), tinkering with my Jeep isn't something I'd tackle. Appreciate all the suggestions, particularly comment about US hook kit not fitting our Oz models. Have a friend who's amazing at tinkering with mechanical things, so will see if he might tackle it...unfortunately he's one who recommended not getting a Jeep (sigh), but I'm over getting the dealers to do these things as it's clear they don't have a full handle on what's required either (another sigh)! Cheers, WWW.

nathantw 01-14-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMWK2 (Post 738520)
Are you in Australia?

Oh. Like the free map updates that I didn't get it sounds like I'll be denied once again.

Nope, not in Australia.

GMWK2 01-14-2013 01:31 AM

Quote:

Nope, not in Australia
Sorry, this is an Australia only issue.

GMWK2 01-14-2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Thanks everyone.
Wendy, along with a few others I was closely involved in having the deletion of the recovery hook resolved by Chrysler Australia.

There is a massive history to this, but in a nut shell, the front of your Jeep is not the same as the US spec and the US recovery hook will not fit.

Chrysler Australia developed a Aus specific recovery hook - it is the only one currently available, although I am aware that one of the clever site members here welded up their own over xmas.

Sorry, but their ain't much choice but to stump up, unless you fall into the date range of your vehicle order to get it fitted free of charge.

GM

John47 01-14-2013 06:21 AM

GM is spot on....the US hooks won't fit - our front end is modified on the export vehicles - I was one of the lucky owners who was supplied with a hook for our 2012 model.
The Mopar hook for our version is specially manufactured by BestBars in NZ (the makers of the Australian version Mopar tow bar).
These hooks are available through dealers, several months ago one Victorian dealer was advertising them on the web. They aren't hard for someone handy to fit.
There are other alternatives http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/2012-...oks-52271.html
Maybe a PM to get some further details would be worthwhile.
I was glad to have the front hook available when our WK2 needed to be skulldragged onto a flat bed truck. The alternative for the driver was to hook onto the suspension, and hope the front plastic skirt wasn't damaged by the chain.
The recovery hook is definitely worthwhile in my opinion.
John