Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Viper Smartstart (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/viper-smartstart-52849.html)

HThomure 01-13-2013 01:36 PM

Viper Smartstart

Hi, all. I'm new here. I am moving next week from a 2010 Laredo to a 2013 Laredo.

My question has to do with remote start systems. I've searched the forums for information on my question, but haven't found any specific to what I need to know. If it's already been hashed out somewhere, I do apologize. I know how aggravating it is to continue to beat a dead horse on a forum.

I actually have more than one thing I'm wondering about. Firstly, is it possible that a smartstart module will work with the factory remote starter? I'm doubtful it is, but thought I'd ask, anyway. And that brings me to number two. I'm aware that on some vehicles, the push-button start has been difficult to overcome as it relates to remote starters and their bypass. Am I going to be ok putting on, say, a Viper VSS5000?

My 2010 has a Viper 5902 on it, and it works great, but I know that push button thing changes the game a bit.

Thanks for any ideas or thoughts.

Hacksaw 01-13-2013 01:39 PM

Is there a reason you don't want the own remote start ? It's about the same cost as the smart start from what I have seen.

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

HThomure 01-13-2013 02:36 PM

Re: Viper Smartstart

I'm sorry. What?

Hacksaw 01-13-2013 02:43 PM

Oem original equipment manufacture or factory remote start...stupid auto correct on my phone "corrected" ...sorry

HThomure 01-13-2013 02:49 PM

Ah, that makes more sense. LOL

It's a range issue, more than anything else. Where I work, I park about 2000 feet from where I am at the end of a shift. At 6 in the morning after a night of freezing temps, I like to be able to fire it up and have it warm when I get to it. That's about it.

Hacksaw 01-13-2013 03:10 PM

Got it. I'm pretty sure there is an xpress kit available for it but I've looked at so many remote starts in the last few days I'm not 100% positive...Google Directed electronics (viper/python and many other brand manufacturer) and you should be able to get the answer

HThomure 01-13-2013 03:15 PM

I didn't find anything for the 2013, but I did find a couple of bypasses for the 2012. As I understand it, there were no changes, but I could very well be wrong.

RageOfFury 01-13-2013 06:38 PM

The 2014 GC has the option of starting/controlling certain features at any distance via smartphone.

HThomure 02-20-2013 02:09 PM

I'd like to resurrect this thread with another question I hope someone holds the answer to.

I decided to go with the Viper 5701 plus SmartStart module. I've been able to pretty much verify it'll work fine.

My question is to anyone who has put an aftermarket starter on their Cherokee. On mine, when I use the factory remote start, if it's below a certain temperature the heated seat will activate with no input from me. I'm wondering if I'll keep or lose this cool feature with an aftermarket starter. It's not going to affect whether or not I go forward, but I'd like to know ahead of time, if possible.

Thanks.

Hacksaw 02-20-2013 02:32 PM

That is controlled by the canbus so it works be entirely dependent on your express kit module supporting that feature.

JTS97Z28 02-20-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 738105)
The 2014 GC has the option of starting/controlling certain features at any distance via smartphone.

Yeah I agree. Why go from an 11 to a 13 which are basically the same exact thing? Get yourself a 2014 :thumbsup:

HThomure 02-20-2013 03:28 PM

I actually went from a 10 to a 12. Got a fantastic deal and lowered my payment by almost $50.