Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   So embarrassing... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/so-embarrassing-52863.html)

RageOfFury 01-13-2013 05:02 PM

So embarrassing...

Yesterday I drove up to my cottage for the day to check on things. It's winter here, so just making sure everything is OK.

The little road that links all the cottages isn't wide, so as to not block the road while parked, I had the right side of the jeep in the snowbank and the left side on the little road. This road was covered in ice, practically a skating rink. Well, I ended up stuck like that. Ice + snowbank = stuck Jeep. :smh:

A neighbour that lives there year round pulled me out with his F150. I felt so embarrassed. The first thing he said was "What the hell, you got a Jeep, how's that possible?" :o

I only have QTI on my Jeep. I wonder if QTII's low range would of got me out of it.

Anyway, felt like sharing my embarrassing moment. ;)

JeepersCreepers 01-13-2013 05:06 PM

Re: So embarrassing...

Don't feel bad, I think in that situation you're probably at the mercy of your tires more than anything.

Out of curiosity, did you try starting out in 2nd gear?

RageOfFury 01-13-2013 05:32 PM

Well I have Wrangler SilentArmors which have been excellent for me in the 2 years I've had my Jeep.

Hmmm no didn't think of that. I did try turning off ESC which didn't help at all.

Alaska-HWY JK 01-13-2013 07:27 PM

Could you spin your tires?

RageOfFury 01-13-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK (Post 738177)
Could you spin your tires?

That's all I could do! lol

RedRocker 01-13-2013 07:36 PM

I'm not up on the traction control of your specific model, but did you just spin all 4 tires or were 2 spinning and 2 doing nothing? If 2 were doing nothing (traction control was not engaging), if it happens again, try a light-to-medium application of the brakes while giving it gas, this may cause the diffs to lock together, sending power to both sides. (I've used this successfully for rock crawling, never had to try on snow and ice.)

DirtyDuc83 01-13-2013 10:02 PM

I believe QT1 only sends power front or back and not side to side. You may not have had enough traction on any given corner to get out of that.

Alaska-HWY JK 01-13-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 738186)
That's all I could do! lol

If you could spin them in high, low range won't help you any. Slight touch on the brakes as said above may have helped, it's hard to think of when you're stuck though.

xJoshxx 01-13-2013 10:23 PM

Full set of winter tires and you would of been unstoppable.

although I'm not fully sure that QT1 has the same brake lock as the select terrain.

77rednecktruck 01-14-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xJoshxx (Post 738403)
Full set of winter tires and you would of been unstoppable.

although I'm not fully sure that QT1 has the same brake lock as the select terrain.

I have been stuck before with dedicated snow tires. I have had my TJ stuck in the mud with dedicated mud tires on it.

Sometimes you just get stuck and no amount of tire will help. Pulling into an icy snowbank is probably one of those times :)

on a side note, qt2 or qd2 with low range may have been a bigger help. Locking all of the tires together definitely helps compared to the subaru type AWD of qt1. But regardless, sometimes nothing helps except for a winch or a tow.

RageOfFury 01-14-2013 09:15 AM

I bought heavy duty traction aids this morning at a local auto store. I believe with these alone I could of gotten out by myself.

Lesson learned though!

jkratze1 01-14-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 738797)
I bought heavy duty traction aids this morning at a local auto store. I believe with these alone I could of gotten out by myself.

Lesson learned though!

Cat litter works for traction. I carry some just in case.