Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   3.6L V6 owners: rate your 5-speed transmission please! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/3-6l-v6-owners-rate-your-5-speed-transmission-please-52909.html)

JeepersCreepers 01-14-2013 11:51 AM

3.6L V6 owners: rate your 5-speed transmission please!

1 star of course meaning absolutely horrendous, and 5 meaning perfect and heavenly.

Optionally, feel free to explain why you chose the rating you chose.

13wk2 01-14-2013 12:10 PM

I give mine a 2. But I think it needs a tcm reprogram.

JTS97Z28 01-14-2013 12:14 PM

Re: 3.6L V6 owners: rate your 5-speed transmission please!

One of the main reasons I no longer own my 2012 Overland V6 is because how bad the shift programming is on that vehicle. The shifting itself was normal and relatively smooth, but the shift points are what completely ruined the driving experience. I understand they have it programmed with fuel economy in mind, but in doing that at the expense of shifting at the correct points and joy of driving was enough for me to lose interest. The V6 is a good motor by all means and so is the transmission, but the engineers ruined that combo IMO by giving it shifting characteristics that I would find acceptable in a Prius, but not my Grand Cherokee Overland. I would imagine for most people it is perfectly fine, but for someone like myself that finds driving more than just a way to get from point A to point B, I want something a little more enthusiast oriented and fun. So if I ever get myself back into another WK2 or WK2.5 it will NOT be the 11-13 V6 with the 5spd tranny.

RageOfFury 01-14-2013 12:35 PM

4/5 for me. Much, much better than the crappy minivan transmission that was in my 06 Liberty. It loses 1 star for me due to having to sometimes "punch it" when going up a hill to make it react. Aside from that it's fine.

brandont 01-14-2013 12:48 PM

I'll try to get this in before the Hemi guys come in here saying how we shouldn't have got the V6.....

3/5. It's in the wrong gear WAY too much. Engine is awesome and it has plenty of power but falls flat with an upshift too often.

mistadobalina 01-14-2013 01:28 PM

Shifting is really smooth and precise..programming is what it is because of fuel economy. It is much better than the POS trans that was in my 06 Hemi WK.

turbospartan 01-14-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 739029)
4/5 for me. Much, much better than the crappy minivan transmission that was in my 06 Liberty. It loses 1 star for me due to having to sometimes "punch it" when going up a hill to make it react. Aside from that it's fine.

Same here. Normal city / highway driving it is fine. The only time I really notice is when driving up a grade in the mountains.... seems like you really have to pay attention to continue at the same speed. Example... want to cruise at 70mph... once you start climbing, it doesn't downshift right away so you go from 70 to 65 to 60 etc. before it finally realizes you want to go faster.

Chris_IAH 01-14-2013 01:47 PM

That 2nd to 3rd shift sucks when you're not high on the revs !

padgett 01-14-2013 02:02 PM

Does everything I expect though did need to use the slapstick in NC hills. Gave it a 4 mainly because it is not a CVT.

Yadkin 01-14-2013 02:11 PM

I give it a 5. It is a five speed after all. :D

It will drop two gears when climbing long steep hills at 60, and then the engine is turning slower than with my old ride that had a 6 speed and dropped three gears. Dial into Sport Mode and the shift points are no longer in "economy" so I don't see what some folks are complaining about there. Dial to Snow and it starts off in second, reducing slip.

Dropping down those same hills it's easy to control speed by nudging over to 4, then 3.

I can also tell what gear I'm in while in D by looking at the relative positions of the tach and speedo. In 3rd they swing together in near-unison.

AAAA 01-14-2013 02:16 PM

I gave it a 3. Probably would be 3.75. I find it is OK, but it occassionally hunts for correct gear.

Aiyer 01-14-2013 03:07 PM

I gave it a 5 because it works fine for my style of driving the Jeep. On occasion, going up the hilly sections, it does not downshift quick enuf for me. That's when I have to manually downshift, which is still ok for me. Or I use the "sport" mode so it holds the gears longer. For daily commuting and such, the tranny is just fine.