Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   after market srt8 headers on a 5.7 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/after-market-srt8-headers-on-a-5-7-a-52958.html)

Ronnie 718 01-14-2013 09:58 PM

after market srt8 headers on a 5.7

Would i be able to run after market srt8 headers on my 2010 5.7

Combat 01-14-2013 10:39 PM

Re: after market srt8 headers on a 5.7

You can run the stock srt8 headers on our 5.7. I don't know about aftermarket srt8 headers. The only aftermartket headers Ive heard of for our 5.7s were from American Racing, and even then I think those had to be special ordered over the phone.

Maybe someone else with other knowledge could fill in on the possibility.

Gojeep 01-15-2013 02:39 AM

I am about to buy some for my 5.7.
Can get OBX, Kooks, American Racing, Totally Stainless and others like Pacesetter.
Some require you to space out the dip stick tube a bit.
On my 08 I will have to make the slot for the EGR.
Also you will have to run a SRT cat back or mod one if not. Remember though they don't run a spare tyre.
Most get a check engine light from after market high flow cats unless you turn off the rear o2 sensors with a tuner. Wont pass emissions though like that. I will expand up the stock ones as that has worked for others.
Will require o2 sensor wiring extensions too.

Ronnie 718 01-15-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojeep (Post 739850)
I am about to buy some for my 5.7.
Can get OBX, Kooks, American Racing, Totally Stainless and others like Pacesetter.
Some require you to space out the dip stick tube a bit.
On my 08 I will have to make the slot for the EGR.
Also you will have to run a SRT cat back or mod one if not. Remember though they don't run a spare tyre.
Most get a check engine light from after market high flow cats unless you turn off the rear o2 sensors with a tuner. Wont pass emissions though like that. I will expand up the stock ones as that has worked for others.
Will require o2 sensor wiring extensions too.

Thank you for all the info ....,Now I just need to find a good place around me that can do this

Gojeep 01-15-2013 07:33 PM

What I have done is ask if OBX is working on a version for the 5.7's. Said the only difference is port shape, (on the 06-08 only as 09+ the same as SRT), EGR tube and smaller 1 3/4" primaries instead of the 1 7/8". Tube shape would be the same and they already have the header flanges etc from the 5.7 in the Rams etc.
If every one would ask about them in their contact page, maybe they would make some.
Contact Us - OBX Racing Sports

Ronnie 718 01-15-2013 09:16 PM

Sent,them a,email

Gojeep 01-16-2013 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie 718 (Post 740734)
Sent,them a,email

:) More the better

remmy 01-16-2013 05:45 AM

I had mine custom made. I used SRT gaskets and had custom flanges made off them. The ports bolted right up and matched. Then long tubes were pieced from there.

I had my EGR blocked off as it will get tuned out.

I'm also converting the two faxtory cats to one large hi-flo magnaflow cat and have both o2 sensors bunged into it.

If the sensors give me problems ill just tune those out too. Lol. F*** the police. J/k, my state doesn't do inspections.

Gojeep 01-30-2013 03:13 AM

I fitted some OBX SRT8 headers last week to my 5.7 and all bolted up fine and only cost $549.
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/image...2111_large.jpg

See my write up for more info and will update the rest of the mid pipe install soon too.
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f14/grand-...-19627-41.html

Weedwaka 04-27-2013 10:08 AM

This is interesting. Did they mention what kind of loss would be experienced running the 6.1 header on a 2005 - 2008 5.7 due to the port shape ?

Did the 09 - 10 5.7's get the SRT heads, or just the same port shape ?

Weedwaka 04-27-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Combat (Post 739707)
You can run the stock srt8 headers on our 5.7. I don't know about aftermarket srt8 headers. The only aftermartket headers Ive heard of for our 5.7s were from American Racing, and even then I think those had to be special ordered over the phone.

Maybe someone else with other knowledge could fill in on the possibility.

DO you know what is involved in installing the factory srt8 manifolds ? Any gains to be had ?

jeepgcoman 04-27-2013 10:35 AM

There are several threads on the different forums regarding this install. When I saw the pictures of the stock setup against the SRT's, I knew I had to do something. Basically they bolt right up to the 5.7, but to get everything working, these are the things that apparently need to be done:
--Grind away a non structural portion on the passenger side of the transmission case. It is apparent where when you try to bolt the headers on.
--Grind a notch between the No. 2 port (passenger side front) and the EGR port in the cylinder head.
--Modify existing head pipes (Y pipe) to fit the headers, or install the 6.1 head pipes.

I had my ceramic coated headers custom built and, I'll tell you without a doubt, anything is better than the stock log manifolds. You'll gain both horsepower and fuel economy, if you can keep your foot out of it. I've had mine on for a little over 2 years now (along with the other mods. in my signature), and I still can't keep my foot out of it.