Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Defrosting frozen windshield fluid (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/defrosting-frozen-windshield-fluid-52993.html)

letsgomets 01-15-2013 01:12 PM

Defrosting frozen windshield fluid

Recently moved to Utah (temporarily) and I have frozen windshield spray. Moved from an area that didn't have fluid capable of withstanding cold temps..anybody have any tips on how to defrost this so I can see out my windshield? God knows when it will warm up here (if ever) and am tired of going to gas station every trip to clean the windshield. :confused:

Hacksaw 01-15-2013 07:20 PM

Pour in a little isopropyl alcohol it will thaw ...then run it empty and fill it with winter de-icing washer fluid.

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

letsgomets 01-16-2013 02:42 AM

Re: Defrosting frozen windshield fluid

Thanks I'll give it a shot. I've never lived in an area this cold, and after this winter, I never will again.

Hacksaw 01-16-2013 08:13 AM

You think its cold in Utah ? You from Florida ? I've worked outside in -35* F ...(-60* with wind chill) ...that's cold, what you have in Utah is chilly. ;)

AAAA 01-18-2013 08:55 AM

25 years ago you could buy -30F windshield fluid, but now all I can find is -20F. Maybe global warming makes the -30F unnecessary in the lower 48.

Hacksaw 01-18-2013 09:29 AM

^ lol !

Cherodude 01-21-2013 09:54 AM

Fill any space in the reservoir with warm isopropyl alcohol (i.e. to warm room temperature only; that stuff is flammable so don't mess with it!) and find a heated public garage to park in a few hours.

Good luck.

Todd3.6 03-10-2013 12:39 PM

LOL!
I really hate to laugh at your situation, but I've been there.
Living in MN I used to buy 'summer' and 'winter' washer fluid.
My Audi had a 1 gallon reservoir...
I think you can guess where this is going.
We get a sudden snow storm in early November and my entire reservoir is frozen into a semi-solid mush.
The engine heat started to thaw it by the time I got home, so I sat in the driveway running the windshield and head light washers in short bursts until I emptied the damn thing out.

I have never bought 'summer' fluid again.

Aiyer 03-12-2013 04:26 PM

On our Cayenne, Porsche recommends adding a little bit of Phosphate free anti-freeze to the reservoir to prevent from freezing. The windshield fluid is not the regular blue stuff that you get in the auto parts store. :( I have to premix 1 measure some kind of wash concentrate to 100 measures water and pour in the reservoir. The reservoir takes 2 gallons to fill. The solution is really good and streak free and I plan on using in the Jeep once it gets empty.