Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2014 - reviews (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-reviews-53036.html)

Roki303 01-15-2013 09:15 PM

2014 - reviews

Any idea when can we expect first reviews of 2014 GC?

Want to order one by trying to decide between diesel and V6. As far as fuel economy is concerned it is a wash as far as I can see it - higher diesel prices, higher initial cost. Initially was set on diesel but all this emission control stuff for US spec diesel is scaring the heck out of me. That plus looks like no extended warranty ...

The only thing for me worth considering is performance. Wonder if V6 with the new 8-speed will be enough for my needs. Reviews for V6 on 11-13 were not that great. Would also like to see reviews of the new diesel. Maybe if performance is great will cross over to the "dark side".

The fact that you have to wait until May/June for diesel is not helping out with this decision.

Red G8R 01-15-2013 09:28 PM

Re: 2014 - reviews

If you are that worried then lease one instead of buying it.

avalys 01-15-2013 10:35 PM

The diesel has lower peak horsepower than the V6 but higher torque. This means it will perform better at low RPMs than the V6, but its maximum acceleration will be lower than the V6.

So, the diesel will perform better at low speeds around town, and it will not have to "work as hard" to move the vehicle. However, if you floor it while merging onto the highway or something, the performance of the diesel will lag behind the V6.

torifile 01-15-2013 10:53 PM

I'd wager that the acceleration in the diesel will be better than the V6. Just a guess but that lowend torque makes for some incredible pickup.

jgc4ever 01-15-2013 11:02 PM

I recommend the 5.7L V8.

FAUEE 01-15-2013 11:02 PM

The diesel makes lower hp because it doesn't spin up as high. A key component of hp is the rpm the engine is spinning (this is how little Hondas and such achieve "high" hp with negligible torque).

The diesel will be much more drivable. Depending on what model you're looking at, the V6 may feel out of breath. When I test drove vehicles before buying mine, the V6 powered Overlands felt really held back by the lack of power in the V6. In a lighter 4x2 model, I could see it not being a big deal.

The diesel will be more drivable, but neither will be fast. Heck, even the V8 isn't fast.

I did not care for the V6/8speed Charger I drove. That car felt underpowered and shifted a lot. Had the same experience with a 300 a few weeks later, except the 300 had more options and people in it, and was even worse. Any GC will weigh even more than that.

IMO, if you're waiting for a 14, may as well get a diesel.

avalys 01-16-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torifile (Post 740818)
I'd wager that the acceleration in the diesel will be better than the V6. Just a guess but that lowend torque makes for some incredible pickup.

At low RPMs, yes. But all "high torque" means is "high horsepower at low RPMs". The V6 has higher horsepower overall, so it's maximum acceleration will be higher. But you may have to rev the shit out of it to get that, whereas the diesel may produce acceptable acceleration at a broad range of low RPMs.

The diesel will probably be more drivable, because it will not have to rev as high compared to the V6 to produce enough power to move the car. But if you are willing to ignore the engine screaming away at 5500+ RPM, the V6 will accelerate faster overall. And when you really need maximum acceleration, you will notice the diesel's lack of top-end power.

Jamesla30 01-16-2013 02:11 AM

Get the CRD. From past statistics on export models, the CRD is faster to 60 than the V6. If you are racing to 100, maybe the V6 will win, but when are you ever going to do that in the real world? The CRD will have more VROOM and get up and go much much better than the V6. The CRD is very very close to the performance of the V8.

When you are cruising down the interstate and need to pass, push the gas slightly and you'll fly by them without much effort. In the V6, it will downshift hard, rev super high, and act like the engine is going to blow up just to get by them.

That's exagerating, but it gives you an idea of the difference.

Scottina06 01-16-2013 02:25 AM

not sure I agree completely with that. My wife has the V6 durango with 5 speed and its pretty peppy in the midrange rpms. To pass it drops one gear and goes.....pretty fast and pretty hard. Now its the 295 hp heat version....but 5 hp doesnt make that much difference. Now with this world class 8 speed...i suspect the 3.6 v6 will be even quicker, shift smoother and accelerate better.

Clubby360 01-16-2013 02:54 AM

the diesel is far superior in every way over the v6,i test drove both one after the other the v6 felt asleep,had to floor it to really get going, the diesels torque is incredible ,it lurches forward making it so enjoyable to drive but on the open road it overtakes reaching 150 to 160 km's(90 to 100 mph) with each pass far to easily for a four wheel drive,all this and getting better then a 1000 km's a tank!!,,believe me when you guys over in the us get to test drive this diesel beauty you realise what you have been missing out on,love it!!!!!!!!(have another vehicle with 475 hp chev 6ltr v8 but do not miss it's performance when driving the jeep thats how good the crd is)

GMWK2 01-16-2013 03:02 AM

Quote:

the diesel is far superior in every way over the v6
Spot on.

The standing start and roll on acceleration of the diesel is amazing - 60km/h to 100 before you blink.

And a fantastic open road cruiser.

And fantastic for towing

And smooth and quiet

And....

And.....

Jdsmitty10 01-16-2013 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesla30 (Post 740911)
Get the CRD. From past statistics on export models, the CRD is faster to 60 than the V6. If you are racing to 100, maybe the V6 will win, but when are you ever going to do that in the real world? The CRD will have more VROOM and get up and go much much better than the V6. The CRD is very very close to the performance of the V8.

When you are cruising down the interstate and need to pass, push the gas slightly and you'll fly by them without much effort. In the V6, it will downshift hard, rev super high, and act like the engine is going to blow up just to get by them.

That's exagerating, but it gives you an idea of the difference.

Lol.. Not really exaggerating if you ask me. That's how my v6 acts when passing haha.. Wish I got the hemi in my 12