Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Stranded at Kroger (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/stranded-at-kroger-53149.html)

Medic1 01-17-2013 05:11 PM

Stranded at Kroger

My wife has a 2008 Commander. We bought it from CarMax as a used fleet vehicle about a year ago, and it's been great so far, until two days ago.

For about two weeks, we've had to wiggle the gearshift in park to allow the fob key to turn all the way to the left and release. Two days ago, the key stopped turning in the ignition at all. The remote start, door lock & unlock, and panic button work, but the key will not turn at all. The steering wheel is not locked and the gearshift is in park.

So far I've been told it's the neutral safety switch, the ignition module or the linkage in the gearbox box. Either way, I need a diagnosis so I can fix it and get it out of the parking lot.

Another clue is sometimes I have to tap on the ignition before it will accept the fob key.

I appreciate any help I can get.
I gre

Frango100 01-17-2013 07:07 PM

Re: Stranded at Kroger

Not familiar with the commander, but wonīt expect neutral safety switch the problem. This switch is inside the transmission and takes care that you can only start the jeep in P and N. Iīm not sure if the commander has the BTSI cable, which is connected in between the gear selector lever and the ignition switch. When not properly adjusted, you canīt remove the key, but i donīt think it would prevent the key to turn. Could be the ignition cylinder itself.

Hacksaw 01-17-2013 09:35 PM

I would suspect the "lock bars" on the ignition cylinder have broken and "jammed" the cylinder. I had this happen on a Ford focus 5 times before I just removed the cylinder and lock bars ...the drawback of that is you could remove the key in any position.

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

Medic1 01-19-2013 12:45 PM

I will replace the ignition cylinder and report back.

Thanks for the replies.

Jbd2016 01-19-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic1 (Post 743643)
I will replace the ignition cylinder and report back.

Thanks for the replies.

I had similar problem with a 2001 Limited GC. Instead of replacing the entire cylinder I found online (I believe it was wkjeeps.com) on how to remove the cylinder myself and took it to a locksmith. For about $20 the locksmith was able to replace some of the pins in the cylinder and I never had the problem again.

Medic1 01-25-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbd2016 (Post 743646)
I had similar problem with a 2001 Limited GC. Instead of replacing the entire cylinder I found online (I believe it was wkjeeps.com) on how to remove the cylinder myself and took it to a locksmith. For about $20 the locksmith was able to replace some of the pins in the cylinder and I never had the problem again.

This is an fob, so there aren't any pins. The new cylinder has come in and I'm replacing it tomorrow. I'll report back.

Frango100 01-25-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic1 (Post 747523)
This is an fob, so there aren't any pins. The new cylinder has come in and I'm replacing it tomorrow. I'll report back.

Is the FOB not the remote control? Inside the lock cylinder are several small pins, actuated by the key. Probably these pins where replaced.

Medic1 01-26-2013 05:33 PM

Maybe I am misspeaking. It is an electronic key. There is no metal key. It has a rectangle head.

Hacksaw 01-26-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White WK Swagga (Post 8200)
I never got the dip stick out. LOL I would do all the oil changes after that and measure out the oil I was putting in. I traded the car in like that. LOL

A picture may be helpful here...I've seen switchblade keys and rfid keys(with no visible key) with push start buttons but never an rfid key that had to actually turn a cylinder.

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

Frango100 01-26-2013 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This probably is your key, the FOBIK?

Frango100 01-26-2013 10:10 PM

And this is what showed up after some googling:

FOBIK TRAPPED IN WIN (Wireless Ignition Node)

The FOB with Integrated Key (FOBIK) cannot be rotated to the LOCK position, allowing it to be removed from the ignition switch also referred to as Wireless Ignition Node (WIN).

The automatic transmission is shifted mechanically through a cable from the gearshift lever mechanism to the transmission. A gated park switch is physically located on and integral to the gearshift lever mechanism and is hard wired directly to the WIN.

The gated park switch is a simple plunger-like actuated open or closed contact switch that could be considered redundant to the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) except that it monitors the position selected with the gearshift lever, while the TRS monitors the position or gear of the Transmission that is actually engaged. A damaged or improperly adjusted gearshift cable could result in a different gear being engaged than that which is selected.

The WIN uses the gated park switch input to control an internal key lock solenoid, which controls whether the FOBIK can be rotated to the LOCK position. When the gearshift lever is not in the PARK position, the gated park switch is a closed circuit, the key lock solenoid is energized and the FOBIK cannot be rotated to the LOCK position for removal.

So your problem is probably the gated park switch. or the key lock solenoid. Seems that most of the time the solenoid inside the WIN is the problem. The mechanism gets dry and the plunjer doesnīt want to move that easily. A little bit of grease seems to help out here.

Medic1 01-26-2013 10:42 PM

That is exactly my key. I got a whole new module. I'm changing it out tomorrow. It doesn't look very complicated, but I am concerned about being able to program it to my key.