Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Lower Control Arm Bolts stuck. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/lower-control-arm-bolts-stuck-53176.html)

ALPINEST4RS 01-18-2013 08:22 AM

Lower Control Arm Bolts stuck.

Just Bilstein HD's up front on my jeep. Went to align it yesterday and broke one of the rear control arm bolts for caster adjustment. Any chrysler techs out there that ran into this problem. The front control arm
bolts are stuck aswell and I need to align this thing, its outta wack. I have $100 worth of bolts coming for it and a set of torches. I do not want to spend $900 on lower control arms so any tips? Thanks.

antsjeep 01-18-2013 11:37 AM

Re: Lower Control Arm Bolts stuck.

Rockauto sells aftermarket CA's for only $140 each. Just incase you need to go that route.

ALPINEST4RS 01-19-2013 08:13 AM

oh man... they sell lower bushings aswell. :thumbsup: i can go that route!! thanks man.

antsjeep 01-19-2013 01:42 PM

No prob, glad i could help!

4.whoa 01-20-2013 04:25 AM

I just installed a set of the $126 arms. they had all the bushings and the ball joint installed already. I too broke those bolts on one side. while you're waiting for the bolts to come in, soak the old ones with WD 40 ,pb max, or something like that. worked great for me.

ALPINEST4RS 01-20-2013 10:02 AM

Yeah I ended up buying frt bushings, rear bushings, strut bushings and lower balljoints. I have a press and acetylene torches I'm just going to torch the bolts out. Eaiser then grabbing a wrench. :)

Muddy4DSM 01-22-2013 11:11 AM

Let us know if you get the bolts out and how much damage they took before coming out. I'm assuming you're talking about the bolt that holds the bottom of the strut assembly fork. Mine are rusted inside and I wasn't able to get them out at all, the rubber just laughed at me no matter how many times I hit it with a hammer.

ALPINEST4RS 01-22-2013 12:40 PM

I'm talking about the LCA bolts for alignment adjustment. I used alot of PB
blaster, a couple touches of heat and a air hammer to get mine out. They launched out like rockets though.

antsjeep 01-23-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALPINEST4RS (Post 745552)
I'm talking about the LCA bolts for alignment adjustment. I used alot of PB
blaster, a couple touches of heat and a air hammer to get mine out. They launched out like rockets though.

hope you had on safety glasses! :eek:

ALPINEST4RS 01-27-2013 09:03 PM

Well, I ended up getting the LCA's out. I had to torch the front bolts out. The inner CV boots were so old/dry rotted the torch head melted them right up.

Alignment went well, caster is slightly low, but i think it has to do with the lift kit. I replaced..
All Lower Suspension Bolts
LCA's (Loaded)
Sway Bar links
Sway Bar Bushings
Updated Sway Bar Clamps
Bilstein HD Shocks
Inner CV Boots

I have no clunks at all and the truck raised itself another 1/4-1/2in due to the new parts (after the bilsteins). It rides like a tank in the front. The Bilstein set up with new LCA's and sway bar parts stiffened the ride way up. It rides great now. I'm pleased with it. :)

hewcbhs 01-29-2013 10:36 AM

That happend to me when I put my 2in lift on
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/...ps85021988.jpg
we tried to use a locking wrench to get it out but it started to get stripped so we used a hand grinder to make the bolt into a flat surface so I could get it out faster.
Took about an hour to get it out and then I had to wait 2 days until the Service area at the jeep dealership was open to get the replacement bolt.

ALPINEST4RS 01-29-2013 12:19 PM

I had a booger on the old sway bar link nut. Ran the bolt in and it pulled half the threads with it (impact). Ran a tap through it and all is well. I did heat the lower control arms where the bolts run in prior and they came right out. Jeep is running cheap bolts and bushing sleeves now. The rust just lives in there now. On my old XJ, never had one problem.

I also coated every bolt with antisieze to prevent this from happening again. Good luck!