Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   05 lift gate cargo lamp (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/05-lift-gate-cargo-lamp-53212.html)

Jon Krol 01-18-2013 11:05 PM

05 lift gate cargo lamp

How are you supposed to replace the lamp? Mine is burned out.

Combat 01-19-2013 12:04 AM

Re: 05 lift gate cargo lamp

Would that be the center mounted brake lamp on the outside on the lifgate? or is it a Lamp on the inside?

stashgto 01-19-2013 02:17 AM

You have to remove the rear hatch cover. There are screws around the outside that need to be removed, and some friction clips that you have to tug on the cover to remove. The you will have access to it.

antsjeep 01-19-2013 01:48 PM

Its a pain, but yea the entire panel needs to be removed.

S10justinv 01-26-2013 02:15 PM

I looked into this because mine is out as well it is kind of a pain in the butt. I have decided against changing the bulb. the little light and where it is positioned does not put out enough light for my liking anyways. I am going to buy an aftermarket light and try to wire it into the existing system so it will operate when I turn on the dome lights or open the liftgate. I will post a thread on this when i do it.

Anon155 01-26-2013 03:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I replaced the light with a brighter led bulb a long time ago and it still wasn't that bright....Plus like said above, the housing is a pain in the butt to deal with. You don't have to remove the whole panel though to get to the bulb. You can use a small screw driver to pry the plastic lens cover off. Then take a pair of needle nose pliers to grab the black bulb housing and pull it gently down prying it through the hole at an angle, it will come out. Replace the bulb, then put the lens cover back on bulb holder and push the whole assembly back up into the door.

I decided to follow Omelet's advice and use two 8" and 6" led strips hot glued to the upper vent above the rear cargo area. The vent just pulls down. I spliced the strips into the existing wiring used for the rear hatch light. There's a wiring harness that runs between the roof and headliner literally right on the edge of where the vent is. Pretty simple and is a way more effective mod!

Here's a link to his build thread and quite a few pics/instructions on he did it:
Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)! - Page 10 - JeepForum.com

For now, Here's a couple pics of how mine turned out:
Attachment 19166
Attachment 19167
Attachment 19168

06grand 01-26-2013 06:25 PM

it can be done without removing the panel, Just pop the lense off take a flathead or needlenose pliers and pry out the black recepticle, dont worry, its very flexible. took me less than five mins