Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Winter tires for next year (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/winter-tires-for-next-year-53240.html)

chuckster 01-19-2013 04:51 PM

Winter tires for next year

We got caught in a heavy wet snowstorm the other day with our 2012 Laredo X. She basically performed beautifully for most of the trip, then suddenly we get into some heavy slush at the side of the road. It almost pulled us off the road. I managed to break loose finally, but when I got on the main track, she became unstable and did an old fashioned fish-tail. It didn't last long but scared the crap out of me anyway.
Our other vehicle, an '09 Camry has a set of Blizzaks on it and it's amazingly good on slippery roads. I didn't think I would need them on the Jeep, but now I'm not so sure. The stock tires are just summer tires as far as I'm concerned.
Anyone have similar experiences? Any faves for winter/snow tires?

SeaRay 01-19-2013 04:57 PM

I agree, on my 2011 Overland we've slid in to the other lane and even couldn't turn and went into the ditch, I would recommend getting winter tires, any stock tires suck! Haha! But now with our new snow tires we are fine with now problems!:)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

1973Commando 01-19-2013 07:59 PM

Re: Winter tires for next year

I will have 18 inch rims on my new '14 GC.
I like the Yokohama GEOLANDAR A/T-S On/Off road All season tires. Also, they are the least expensive in their category at Tire Rack. The tread is great for Snow and they are still year round tires. Because the rubber has to be harder to be All Season, the ice performance will not be anything like a true winter tire. Also, because of the tread also you will see less stopping distance on dry pavement. For me it is the right balance. If I had an SRT and wanted to Maximize road performance I wouldn't go with these tires though. If you climb icy hills often during the winter, a good winter tire is best. Regular All seasons might even be better than an A/T tire on ice. On snow covered highways these A/T(all terrain) tires are good. These are what I had on my last 4x4.

nvfusa 01-19-2013 10:10 PM

I did have some problems with stock tires. The Jeep wouldn't stop in ice and compact snow when temps dropped under -10 C. I got these Coopers two weeks ago from Canadian Tire and haven't had any problems since. I am so happy with them that I am even considering the Coopers Discoverer AT3 to replace the stock Michelins when Spring comes.

CooperTiresConsumer - Weather-Master WSC™

xJoshxx 01-19-2013 11:12 PM

Firestone Winterforces,

Best Investment ever did.

nek121328 01-19-2013 11:33 PM

I wanted the Winteforces but they don't have them in the 18". Either of the Coopers are a very good choice. Relatives are running the AT3's year round and love them in northern VT.

Hacksaw 01-20-2013 12:15 AM

What is the stock size on your WK ? They do come in a 225 65 18

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

Vanguard 01-20-2013 02:49 AM

Bridgestone*Blizzak DM-V1

are these good for a summit?

Vanguard 01-20-2013 02:51 AM

Also, do you guys get cheap Wheels for your winter tires?

I want to keep the 20" look all year round.

ColdCase 01-20-2013 09:18 AM

Winter tires are a compromise, the best ones for you depend a lot on driving conditions. Aggressive threads are good for snow and mud, are loud, and don't handle wet or dry roads or ice well. Tread compounds that cling to ice don't wear well and have a tendency to sluff off at higher temperatures.

The OEM tire sizes are a bit wide for snow and mud and have a tendency to float over slush and snow, so you may want to look at narrower tires with the same diameter (if you are a function over looks type of guy)

The blizzaks are a great tire, sticks to ice, great on snow, wears quickly on 70mph highways when temperatures are above 40. I wouldn't recommend them for much mud.

I have Firestone winter force on my WJ, another excellent tire. Somewhat noisy block thread but relatively inexpensive and work very well on snow and mud. They have good enough dry road performance that many use them year round (we do). They have a tendency to cup and feather if your alignment is just a bit off, which is impossible to stop once it starts. Not as good on ice as the blizzaks.

I have Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 on our KK and that is also an excellent snow and mud tire. Good highway handling and excellent snow traction.

Many have dedicated wheels/tires for winter and off road. Many here have purchased a wheel/tire package from places like tirerack and discounttiredirect.

You can often find used sets on craigs list, ebay, or the classified section of this forum.

In my case I found the best value by picking up OEM 18 wheels for a decent price on line and had blizzaks installed locally. I'm on my second winter with them. I haven't had to test their shear ice (black ice) capability yet, otherwise they have been impressive. They are getting noisier as they wear.

Raptor 01-20-2013 12:51 PM

Chuckster, check out this thread, it has a lot of winter tire experiences and recommendations for Jeep WK2's;

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/what-...son-48926.html

jd2012jgc 01-20-2013 12:54 PM

Hankook Ipike Rw11 on my 12 Overland. So far have done exceptionally well on everything from slush, to 12"+ of new snow.