Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Early oil change? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/early-oil-change-53259.html)

MikeHiggins 01-20-2013 01:25 AM

Early oil change?

I have a new 2013 grand cherokee with the 3.6. Guy at work says I should change the oil at 1000 miles to get rid of engine shavings etc. Fact or fiction?

ColdCase 01-20-2013 08:58 AM

Re: Early oil change?

Oh no, not another early oil change thread to get everyone riled up. :)

Early oil changes are Urban legend (except for fords and chebys, does your guy own a ford?). Change the oil on the schedule in the owner's manual. If you drive a lot, that will be ~8000 miles.

77Cherokee 01-20-2013 12:01 PM

Fiction! Newer engines are machined to much closer tolerances than older ones were. There should not be tons of shavings in the oil. Follow the owners manual recommendations.

MikeHiggins 01-20-2013 03:32 PM

Nice guess...He bought a new Ford!!! O.k....no early oil change. Follow up question...Mobil 1 synthetic? I think most are saying it doesn't need it...waste of money. Agree?

kevster 01-20-2013 03:58 PM

most say personal preference, I do mine at 2k miles, and always have. than 5k after.

ColdCase 01-20-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHiggins (Post 744269)
Nice guess...He bought a new Ford!!! O.k....no early oil change. Follow up question...Mobil 1 synthetic? I think most are saying it doesn't need it...waste of money. Agree?

Mobil 1 is better than dino oil, especially if you do the annual oil change whether it needs it or not approach. Most pure synthetics will also give you maybe a 0.1 mpg improvement and perhaps 1hp because it is slippery. Synthetic will last longer but if you are changing on the owners manual schedule, thats probably not a factor. I like to use Mobil 1 as it gives me more safety margin if we happen to lose the oil for some reason.

Need is a marginal thing in this case.

bill_de 01-20-2013 06:32 PM

If the guys at work are the Chrysler engineers who designed and tested your engine design, by all means follow their recommendation. Otherwise follow the owner's manual.

jd2012jgc 01-20-2013 07:50 PM

Fact.
Doesnt hurt your jeep to get the oil changed early. Even with the "better" manufacturing tolerances, there still 'could' be small metal shavings etc that have been picked up by the oil, or trapped in the fiter.

(Found a dealer coupon, got my oil/filter changed for less than $20).

And, its your preference if you want to use dino oil or switch to synthetic. I used regular dino oil at my 2k swap, and switched over to synthetic at the first scheduled change at 8k miles.

Hacksaw 01-20-2013 08:55 PM

If you're driving a Ford by all means change it early...like immediately after taking possession and get that parafin wax that Pennzoil calls oil out of it !

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

bill_de 01-20-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd2012jgc (Post 744412)
Fact.
Doesnt hurt your jeep to get the oil changed early. Even with the "better" manufacturing tolerances, there still 'could' be small metal shavings etc that have been picked up by the oil, or trapped in the fiter.

And, its your preference if you want to use dino oil or switch to synthetic. I used regular dino oil at my 2k swap, and switched over to synthetic at the first scheduled change at 8k miles.

If there were small metal shavings, wouldn't they already do their damage by the time you hit 2000 miles? Thats an awful lot of revolutions.

ColdCase 01-20-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd2012jgc (Post 744412)
Fact.

You may be wrong, as there is a higher probability that the grease monkeys will leave on an extra oil filter gasket which will drain the oil out when you are not looking (or dropping the vehicle off the rack), than anything that "could" be in there from the factory. I've also heard of more cases of the tech failing to tightening the oil drain plug (eventually works loose) than contamination of OEM engine oil. I've heard that running on no oil can be pretty bad for an engine, and falling off a rack can't be of any help :) .

In this day and age, it may be best to minimize the exposure of your vehicles to damage by minimizing the number of time the monkeys touch the car. Just make sure you check the oil level often enough.