Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Simple questions (hopefully)

3K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Walt 
#1 ·
Just got an 06 WK Hemi and as I've spent more time in it, there are questions I've come up with that I haven't been able to find answers for...hopefully you guys can help:

1. There is a little switch right above the foot vent on the drivers side, any idea what its for? It looks stock but I have no idea.

2. Is there any easy way to add under-hood lights? There doesn't seem to be any, so trying to do anything under the hood is quite challenging without a lot of extra light (which is hard to come by in a parking lot).

3. Is there any AUX input for the REC? My Jeep has the VES and I plugged in some RCA cables but there was no sound, I wasn't sure if that was input or output.

4. What's the difference between 05-07 headlights and 08-10 headlights. I've read that you have to replace the bumper cover and grill and there is a gap somewhere...but it seems like they would be a direct replacement. Am I wrong?

5. How do I get rid of the "spare tire pressure low" warning. It keeps popping up. It was actually low (the tire was rotten) but now I've got a new, full PSI spare and it is still showing me the message. Is this a normal problem?

6. I was thinking of getting the BT Catch Can. Their install video said that the 5.7 needed a tune in order to use it. Is that true (doesn't make sense) or can I just install it and I'm good to go?

I'm sure that I'll think of more but this is what I can't find answers for now. Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
1 no idea on switch, is there an aftermarket alarm? if so likely a bypass switch
2 i didnt read these but heres what a search turned up:aftermarket underhood light - Google Search
3 no owners manual? again i didnt read this but it may be helpful:Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - REC Navigation Radio
4 yes headlights are different there is a company that makes a filler stillen covers for 07 jeep grand cherokee headlights - Google Search

5 might need a new tpms inside the tire

6 pretty sure no tune required

#3 ·
1 no idea on switch, is there an aftermarket alarm? if so likely a bypass switch
2 i didnt read these but heres what a search turned up:aftermarket underhood light - Google Search
3 no owners manual? again i didnt read this but it may be helpful:Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - REC Navigation Radio
4 yes headlights are different there is a company that makes a filler stillen covers for 07 jeep grand cherokee headlights - Google Search

5 might need a new tpms inside the tire

6 pretty sure no tune required

#4 ·
Just got an 06 WK Hemi and as I've spent more time in it, there are questions I've come up with that I haven't been able to find answers for...hopefully you guys can help:

1. There is a little switch right above the foot vent on the drivers side, any idea what its for? It looks stock but I have no idea.

2. Is there any easy way to add under-hood lights? There doesn't seem to be any, so trying to do anything under the hood is quite challenging without a lot of extra light (which is hard to come by in a parking lot).

3. Is there any AUX input for the REC? My Jeep has the VES and I plugged in some RCA cables but there was no sound, I wasn't sure if that was input or output.

4. What's the difference between 05-07 headlights and 08-10 headlights. I've read that you have to replace the bumper cover and grill and there is a gap somewhere...but it seems like they would be a direct replacement. Am I wrong?

5. How do I get rid of the "spare tire pressure low" warning. It keeps popping up. It was actually low (the tire was rotten) but now I've got a new, full PSI spare and it is still showing me the message. Is this a normal problem?

6. I was thinking of getting the BT Catch Can. Their install video said that the 5.7 needed a tune in order to use it. Is that true (doesn't make sense) or can I just install it and I'm good to go?

I'm sure that I'll think of more but this is what I can't find answers for now. Thanks in advance!
1. I don't think this is stock...I don't see anything like that on my '05.

2. Depends on what you mean by "easy". It's certainly possible, but I have found it easier just to carry a good light source with me. I have a magnetic LED strip that I can just stick to the hood (or wherever else it is needed).

3. There are no inputs on the REC head unit. You should be able to plug your RCAs into the DVD system in the back, and switch the head unit to the VES and get sound that way.

4. It was just a stylistic change. You can get pieces that fit into the gap if you upgrade the headlights. If you want it to look "factory", then yes, if switching to the newer lights the grille and bumper must be changed as well...I think.

5. It may take up to 15min of driving to reset this message. If it does not reset after this time, it could require re-setting the TPMS thresholds. If you take it to a place that can work on the TPMS system, they should be able to figure it out relatively quickly. To test the sensor, you can always rotate the spare tire into one of the regular spots, and see if the low pressure message follows.

6. You are correct, no tune is needed to benefit from the catch can.

#7 ·
5. It may take up to 15min of driving to reset this message. If it does not reset after this time, it could require re-setting the TPMS thresholds. If you take it to a place that can work on the TPMS system, they should be able to figure it out relatively quickly. To test the sensor, you can always rotate the spare tire into one of the regular spots, and see if the low pressure message follows.
Alright thanks. I had already switched the tire hoping that would take care of it but it didn't. I'll look into getting the TPMS system checked out.

#6 ·
Thanks. I guess I'll just have to get creative with the hood light. I read that manual on wkjeeps and didn't find anything about AUX inputs. And I've read about the Stillen covers, but I was interested in the 08 lights for the HIDs.

#8 ·
1- i dont have one on my 07 so its probably an aftermarket kill switch or maybe the previous owner had lights hooked up to it or something? trace out the wires see where they go.

3- my rec didnt have an AUX so i bought a stock radio with a AUX on ebay and switched it out.

4- the headlights are different on the bottom. the 05-07 have a flat bottom and the 08+ have two rounded bottoms. there are filler pieces out there but IMO they look silly. the stillens do not fill in the gap they are made to simulate the look. there are a couple threads on what you need and how to do the front end conversion if i come across them ill post them here.

there are also threads on here on people making thier own projector headlights.. so you should check those out.

good luck man this gets addicting

#10 ·
TPMS sensor battery is going out, which is the cause for the message. They are only designed to last 6-8 years, so If the other 4 are also originals, they will be going out soon too. The Jeep dealer then needs to reset it (just for the spare tire) to remove the message from the display, not something a tire shop or any other mechanic can do. When replacing the ones on the other 4 wheels, they will automatically reset after a few miles.

#12 ·
Good to know. I guess I will just have to get some new tires! TPMS sensors are definitely a good enough reason for new tires.

MOPAR offers a WK Jeep accessory underhood light. Think it is ~$50 though.

Link: Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - under hood lamp
I just ended up getting a magnetic battery powered shop light that I can use. Looks like its $80. I think my $7 solution will work for now. Thanks.

#16 ·
Dont mind walt, hes just got his knickers in a twist cos be brought a bankruptcy edition jeep, he seems to think the rest of ours suffer the same maladies as his ;)
:D :clap: .....old curmugeon. I actually wanted an '04 WJ Overland with the 4.7L HO engine. Everybody swore that a new car with a full factory warranty was a better choice.

My '97, '00, & '03 GC's were much less troublesome. Probably because there were fewer electronics to interfere with the mechanical functions. [I'm a mechanical engineer.]

One of the great things about the 5.7L HEMI was the way Jeep added the "HEMI tick" to replicate the sound of the mechanical lifters on the original 426 cu. in. HEMI. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.