Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   "Locking" front wheel - 2002 2.7 CRD RHD (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/locking-front-wheel-2002-2-7-crd-rhd-53391.html)

Tony Norton 01-22-2013 06:07 AM

"Locking" front wheel - 2002 2.7 CRD RHD

Hi all,

I have a strange problem with my Jeep. If I reverse on full left lock I feel a "kick" from the left front wheel, as though it is momentarily locking.

This only happens first thing in the morning when the vehicle has been standing overnight. If I drive a couple of miles, park up and immediately do the same manoeuvre the "locking" doesn't happen.

My own experience with limit slip diffs of the clutch type is that this can happen if the plates are set too tight. Is the front diff limit slip, or is this just a cold, or no, oil symptom?

I can't help thinking that this may be related to the excessive wear I get on the left side of the tread of the LH front tyre, considerably more than the right hand edge, and no such wear symptoms are visible on the RH wheel. Any ideas on that?

Any comments re unusual tyre wear would be most appreciated.

Tony N

Hacksaw 01-22-2013 09:34 AM

I experienced nearly the exact same thing this morning without the tire wear and on a left hand drive gasser with QTII. When I backed it in the driveway to warm up (wheels full right) I felt the kick you mentioned. I attributed it to the -10*F temp and went inside, came out 10-15 min later and drove the kids to school and back home (2-3 miles total) this time I backed in again only from the opposite direction (wheels full left) and once again felt the kick. Since I get it in both directions I am hopeful it is just cold fluid. If I remember my build sheet correctly I have LSD (vari-lock) on both axles. Is your Jeep QTII ?

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

Frango100 01-22-2013 10:46 AM

Re: "Locking" front wheel - 2002 2.7 CRD RHD

QTII (Quadra Track II) doesn't have Vari-Lock in the front diff for sure. It could have the Vari-Lock in the rear diff, when it has a factory tow package.
Only Quadra Drive has the Vari-Lock in front and rear diff.
Check for any play in the front suspension and also the track bar bushings. I had worn bushings and could feel that as a kind of a kick when reversing and making a turn.

Tony Norton 01-22-2013 11:21 AM

Hi Frank,

according to the selector cover it's "Quadra-Trac" so I guess my problem must be down to geometry.

Tony N

Frango100 01-22-2013 11:39 AM

Could it have to do with a sticking brake?

Tony Norton 01-22-2013 12:00 PM

Possible I guess. Will investigate when weather improves.

Hacksaw 01-22-2013 01:50 PM

Update on mine ...it doesn't do it when warmed up so I'm just thinking it was cold. Frank I just checked my build sheet again and I have the Dana 30 front axle and a Dan 44 rear which according to wjjeeps.com is a limited slip differential. From what it says there the Dana 30 was only supplied with QD but my build sheet also says I have QTII...am I reading it wrong or do I have a rare bird ?

Frango100 01-22-2013 03:56 PM

The only difference between Quadra Trac II and Quadra Drive are the vari-Locks inside the diffs, they both have the same NV247 T-case.
I also have Dana 30 in the front and Dana 44 in the rear, but both with open diffs.
If you have the Vari-Locks in there, you will have Quadra Drive and no Quadra Track II.

Hacksaw 01-22-2013 04:32 PM

Isn't the difference the way the vari-locks are actuated ? I thought the QD were elsd and the QTII were hydraulic. I trust your experience so I must be reading it wrong. Thanks for clarifying !

Frango100 01-22-2013 04:57 PM

On WJ jeeps no electrical lockers, i think this started in 2005 on the WK.
QTII has no lockers in the diffs, maybe only in the rear with a tow package, but in the front for sure not.
Quadra Drive WJ jeeps have mechanic/hydraulic Vari-locks.

Hacksaw 01-22-2013 05:19 PM

Thanks for the info ! I do have the tow package so its LSD in the back

Frango100 01-22-2013 06:49 PM

Not 100% sure that a tow package always includes a rear Vari-Lock, but it could be.