Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Biggest sidewalls that will still fit fenders/spare well

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  CG27519 
#1 ·
So, I have a 2012 Overland with the ORA II package. It came with 18" rims and 265/60 tires.

I would like a thicker sidewall for off-roading. A bit wider tire, too, if it will fit. I don't mind removing the bins from the spare tire well, but I would like to be able to close the lid.

I would like to buy 5 tires. I do not mind getting a spare tire that is a different size, as long as the outer diameter is close enough that I could still drive ~100 miles on it without screwing up the 4WD system.

What is the largest size I can go with? I am concerned that even tires sizes that people say "fit" the wheel wells without rubbing while the car is driving through a parking lot will still rub when the suspension is more deflected off-road.

#4 ·
All of this has been mentioned a thousand times. So much so that my brain hurts from reading them all. Yes you can go taller and wider. No the spare won't be the same. The spare needs to be narrower and taller to match what you end up with. Like a 255 with one higher aspect ratio. There really needs to be a sticky for the upsize tires. 18" and 20"

#7 ·
I have 275/55/20 ~31.9"OD, the KO2s I have are a little bigger than the norm and are closer to 32" OD. I have a 255/70/18 (32.1" OD) Sahara take off in my spare well that just barely bits without the bins. That might be a bit narrower than you'd like but it's a good size spare. You definitely wouldn't be able to go any wider or bigger than that.

Reactions: Fobio
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.