Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Are the Mopar splash guards ugly? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/are-the-mopar-splash-guards-ugly-53423.html)

AKHLK 01-22-2013 08:44 PM

Are the Mopar splash guards ugly?
 
I'm having a problem with ice building up on the back of the wheel wells and wondered if splash guards would help. I found the "Deluxe Molded Splash Guards" on the Mopar web site but I want to know how they look installed.

Here's a pic to give an you an idea of where the ice builds up. Not much there right now but you get the idea. It gets much worse with big rock solid frozen chunks. Jeep's always parked outside so no chance to thaw:(
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/23/6a8yzu6e.jpg

berk483 01-23-2013 01:04 AM

Re: Are the Mopar splash guards ugly?
 
I'd almost think that the flaps would provide more suface area for the snow to build up on creating the same or worse. Maybe someone who has them in a snowy area will chime in on how well they do in the winter. I know I have seen pics of them on if you run a search.

bill_de 01-23-2013 07:29 AM

Re: Are the Mopar splash guards ugly?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by berk483 (Post 745917)
I'd almost think that the flaps would provide more suface area for the snow to build up on creating the same or worse. Maybe someone who has them in a snowy area will chime in on how well they do in the winter. I know I have seen pics of them on if you run a search.

Agreed. The splash guards are designed to keep things from flying back into the body and door panels. If the ice and snow can't fly back, where's it gonna go?


.

kkreit01 01-23-2013 09:57 AM

Re: Are the Mopar splash guards ugly?
 
Yes -- they are ugly. I have them, and will keep them until they fall off. They are functional, but ugly. The Mopar Nerf bars look nice, but aren't functional. These were my first 2 purchases when I bought my Jeep about a year ago. Needless to say, I was disappointed.

AKHLK 01-23-2013 11:20 AM

In my previous vehicles with splash guards, which were somewhat flexible, I could give them a small kick with my foot and all the ice would slide off. That is what I was hoping for with the Mopar ones.

JeepersCreepers 01-23-2013 12:23 PM

Re: Are the Mopar splash guards ugly?
 
In the pictures I've seen, I'm not a big fan of the way the rear ones look, but I don't think the front ones look so bad. I'll be installing them on the front at the dealership before I drive away with my 2014; we'll see how they end up looking in real life on just the front.

Ryno 01-23-2013 12:43 PM

Re: Are the Mopar splash guards ugly?
 
I installed both the front and rear on mine and think it made a significant improvement...i like the look and it protects the paint!

AKHLK 01-23-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryno (Post 746098)
I installed both the front and rear on mine and think it made a significant improvement...i like the look and it protects the paint!

Could you please provide a picture if possible? I'd love to see what they look like.

Aiyer 01-23-2013 04:51 PM

Re: Are the Mopar splash guards ugly?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AKHLK (Post 746055)
In my previous vehicles with splash guards, which were somewhat flexible, I could give them a small kick with my foot and all the ice would slide off. That is what I was hoping for with the Mopar ones.

It is quite flexible. I have the front mud flaps only. I did not install the rears since I thought it may look bad when seen from behind. I have taken the Jeep on trails and have gone over rocks. The mud flaps have been bent over the rocks and scratched and it held up pretty well.

The main reason I got them was to protect the paint near the wheel wells and the door sides.

Cheers,
-A

JeepersCreepers 01-23-2013 04:59 PM

Re: Are the Mopar splash guards ugly?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiyer (Post 746286)
It is quite flexible. I have the front mud flaps only. I did not install the rears since I thought it may look bad when seen from behind. I have taken the Jeep on trails and have gone over rocks. The mud flaps have been bent over the rocks and scratched and it held up pretty well.

The main reason I got them was to protect the paint near the wheel wells and the door sides.

Cheers,
-A

And has it done a good job of that? If so, it's certainly a lot cheaper (and nicer looking, probably) than getting a clear bra on the rocker panels and rear wheel wells (I got a quote of over $300).

I'm curious to know if you get nicks on the paint on the rear bumper area near the end of the rear wheel wells without the rear mud flaps on.

Ryno 01-24-2013 07:53 AM

Re: Are the Mopar splash guards ugly?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AKHLK (Post 746179)
Could you please provide a picture if possible? I'd love to see what they look like.

I will post something tomorrow for you.

Ryno 01-24-2013 03:21 PM

Re: Are the Mopar splash guards ugly?
 
3 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the dirty pictures but we had some snow the other day and more expected tomorrow...hope these pictures are helpful!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community