Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   4X4 question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/4x4-question-53434.html)

Quadra-Drive 01-23-2013 01:34 AM

4X4 question

I was wondering what would be the max speed I could go in 4-Lo? And would it be safe to drive it in 4-Lo on dry road? I ask because I would like to take my Jeep to the drag strip sometime soon to see what it can really do and I would like to get as much oomph and traction off the line as possible. Thanks in advance.

Frango100 01-23-2013 06:14 AM

Re: 4X4 question

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the garage.
When im not wrong, jeep mentiones a max speed of 25 mph or 40 km/h in 4-Lo. You would also easily redline the engine.
4-Lo should never be used on dry pavement, it will cause high strain on the driveline components, could cause binding and could lead to severe damage.
The attached pick shows what can happen to your T-case due to binding.

Quadra-Drive 01-23-2013 12:54 PM

Wow:eek:... Thanks. Looks like i'll be leaving in 4-All time, lol.

JeepFreak12 01-24-2013 06:15 AM

You should have no problem getting traction with your quadradrive system lol

Quadra-Drive 01-24-2013 01:27 PM

Yeah, I know. But Instead of waiting for the rear wheels to start to spin, I thought maybe I could just put it into 4-Lo and skip all that and lock it in myself. Lol, I tried to make the rear wheels lose traction so many times, But it just wont do it.

JeepFreak12 01-24-2013 03:38 PM

Me too, I toy with mustangs when its wet out because they cant launch worth of crap when its a little wet out lol.

spartan1 02-09-2013 11:53 AM

Hi there guys,i am looking at buying a wj grand cherokee with quadratrac11, but noticed that will not engage 4lo unless rolling,is ithis correct? also i tested it on a paved road and the transmission thumped into gear from 1st to 2nd gear. did this happen because i tried it on paved road? any advice please?

Frango100 02-09-2013 03:59 PM

It is easier to engage 4Lo witht he jeep rolling a bit. For my jeep it also works standing still with the engine running and putting the tranny in N.
4Lo should never be used on paved roads, due to the high strains it will put on the drivetrain. I have never tried this on my jeep, but i can imagine that the high strains will also change the way the tranny is shifting. Does it shift smooth when in 4Hi?

Quadra-Drive 02-09-2013 07:44 PM

My Jeep has to move a little bit(like 1mph) to engage in 4-lo. When I test drove my Jeep before I bought it, I put it in 4-lo and drove it on the pavement(I diden't know that I wasen't supposed to) and the tranny shifted weird too, But it shifts just fine in 4-all time. Hope this helps.

spartan1 02-09-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra-Drive (Post 757203)
My Jeep has to move a little bit(like 1mph) to engage in 4-lo. When I test drove my Jeep before I bought it, I put it in 4-lo and drove it on the pavement(I diden't know that I wasen't supposed to) and the tranny shifted weird too, But it shifts just fine in 4-all time. Hope this helps.

Hi guys thank you for your advice, it seems to shift fine in 4-all time, it only got me concerned when i got it in 4lo and tried to take off. The transmission didnt like it one bit. So the fact that i drove it on a paved road caused this thumping between gears?

spartan1 02-09-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 757075)
It is easier to engage 4Lo witht he jeep rolling a bit. For my jeep it also works standing still with the engine running and putting the tranny in N.
4Lo should never be used on paved roads, due to the high strains it will put on the drivetrain. I have never tried this on my jeep, but i can imagine that the high strains will also change the way the tranny is shifting. Does it shift smooth when in 4Hi?

Hi there frango100, it shifts fine in 4-all time, the transmission thumped between 1st and 2nd when i tested it in 4-lo on a paved road,thats what got me worried. so you think im pretty safe to buy this wj? i cannot get it into 4-lo unless vehicle is rolling. if i try to engage 4-lo stationary it will not go into gear.

spartan1 02-09-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra-Drive (Post 757203)

Hey Quadradrive, thanks for your info, what did your transmission do when you drove it in 4-lo on paved road? its just that ive had other makes of 4wds in the past and never have experienced this severe thump between gears on upshift.