Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   One of my coopers is stuffed.... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/one-of-my-coopers-is-stuffed-53524.html)

GMWK2 01-24-2013 08:32 PM

One of my coopers is stuffed....

Currently at jax tyres for a routine align and rotate and one of my coopers has a cut on the INSIDE

More to follow......

GMWK2 01-24-2013 10:07 PM

Re: One of my coopers is stuffed....

1 Attachment(s)
OK, so I'm back.

I took my GC in to have the tyres rotated balanced and alignment - just routine at about 20000 km. Anyway, the fitter noticed that one of the tyres had a slight bulge when he was spinning it up for balance. So they stripped the tyre off the rim and found a cut / delamination on the inside of the casing - about 1.5 to 2 inches long. No obvious damage on the outside but enough of an issue to cause a visable bulge in the tread.

Jax spoke to Cooper about warranty and hopefully they will stump up for a new tyre. A new tyre is on its way to Jax and it will be fitted in the morning.

Hmmm - the first failure or just a one off?

GMWK2 01-24-2013 10:16 PM

Interesting - while I was at Jax I got to talking to another customer who was a "Senior Business Manager" (code for bean counter) at Heartland. We got to talking about my Jeep and of course I took the oppertunity to pass on my wisdom regarding the performance of Chrysler HQ and the Jeep sales people. Good way to spend the time while Jax faffed about.....

noons 01-24-2013 10:52 PM

Hmm... interesting event!
Hopefully it is a one off. They are the tyres i'll be getting shortly..

allypally 01-25-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMWK2 (Post 747189)
Interesting - while I was at Jax I got to talking to another customer who was a "Senior Business Manager" (code for bean counter) at Heartland. We got to talking about my Jeep and of course I took the oppertunity to pass on my wisdom regarding the performance of Chrysler HQ and the Jeep sales people. Good way to spend the time while Jax faffed about.....

Wish I was there. What was his concensus?
I also had a similar chat with a dealership snr person (another dealership) and they stated that they were almost to the stage of pulling the plug on Chrysler because of their lack of service. They said that dealer meetings often ended in a yelling match between the dealers and Chrysler.

Dabitz 01-25-2013 04:34 PM

Got the Cooper AT3 for about 20K now. A little noisier now than when new but still love them and look great.

GMWK2 01-25-2013 05:06 PM

So, I went back to Jax today and the new tyre was fitted up no problems. Pleasing to see that the new tyre was available very quickly - ordered by by Jax at about 12noon yesterday and was delivered just after 5pm.

The fellow at Jax wrote up on the job sheet that they think it is a failure of the tyre rather than damage, so I'll take it up with Cooper next week and see how I go. I paid for the tyre ($365 which seems a good price) so I'll need to get that recredited by Cooper as a waranty claim.

BobT 01-26-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMWK2 (Post 747094)
Currently at jax tyres for a routine align and rotate and one of my coopers has a cut on the INSIDE

More to follow......

Cooper have had issues with tires, see Recall: Cooper Tire recalling more than 10k tires : News : NorthwestOhio.com
Also note that Cooper AT3 in 265/60R18 are Passenger construction not LT therefore softer side walls. The nearest AT3 LT would be a 275/65R18. This is the same size as the BFG T/A KO that some have fitted, with only slight scuffing of the wheel well lining.

GMWK2 01-28-2013 11:51 PM

Just spoke to Cooper and they are going to credit me for pro-rata wear on the replacement tyre.

So I'm happy with that.