Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Eagle intake/ egr (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/eagle-intake-egr-53563.html)

DannyVtCa 01-25-2013 01:48 PM

Eagle intake/ egr

I have been reading on the lx forums about the eagle intake and what it takes to install on our older 5.7 motors.

Seems we need the adapters, fuel rails, and new bolts. They say the newer eagle has no egr system, but I look at mopar parts diagram and see an egr system... Although the metal tube looks different that comes out of the egr. If the egr doesn't feed the intake on these new motors... Where does it feed the exhaust gases?

Just wondering bc I would like to do a eagle, but it would depend on being able to jimmy the egr system to work.

jeepgcoman 01-28-2013 06:04 PM

Re: Eagle intake/ egr

Dan, the 2012 Annual editiion of MoparNow Magazine (moparmusclemagazine.com) did dyno tests on our stock (LX type) intake manifold, the 6.1, the stock Eagle manifold with a basically otherwise stock engine. They said the Eagle wasn't worth it on a stocker.....plus 3.71 horsepower and minus 2.18 lb/ft. torque. Bottom line on a relatively stock engine is to leave the stock intake manifold in place. They also did a similar test with a moderately modified engine (about like yours), and this is what they said about the Eagle then: "Actually, the torque-curve design of the factory design really showed up in this test. Our stump-pulling numbers topped out at a fantastic 383 horsepower and almost 50 lb/ft of torque over the baseline." This equated to plus 81.98 horsepower, and torque, plus 49.34 lb/ft.

So, based on their testing, and your mods., you should be able to get some good results if you do this mod. They, however, did not address the EGR issue and you, being in CA now, may have a problem getting past the smog police unless you can figure out a way to hook it into the intake and make it work properly.

Gojeep 01-28-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 749628)
Dan, the 2012 Annual editiion of MoparNow Magazine (moparmusclemagazine.com) did dyno tests on our stock (LX type) intake manifold, the 6.1, the stock Eagle manifold with a basically otherwise stock engine. They said the Eagle wasn't worth it on a stocker.....plus 3.71 horsepower and minus 2.18 lb/ft. torque. Bottom line on a relatively stock engine is to leave the stock intake manifold in place. They also did a similar test with a moderately modified engine (about like yours), and this is what they said about the Eagle then: "Actually, the torque-curve design of the factory design really showed up in this test. Our stump-pulling numbers topped out at a fantastic 383 horsepower and almost 50 lb/ft of torque over the baseline." This equated to plus 81.98 horsepower, and torque, plus 49.34 lb/ft.

So, based on their testing, and your mods., you should be able to get some good results if you do this mod. They, however, did not address the EGR issue and you, being in CA now, may have a problem getting past the smog police unless you can figure out a way to hook it into the intake and make it work properly.

Great info. I assume the SRT8 intake was even worse with the torque?

jeepgcoman 01-28-2013 07:13 PM

The SRT8 intake posted a plus 9.48 on horsepower, and a minus 5.01 lb/ft. on torque.

Gojeep 01-29-2013 05:59 AM

Thanks for that. Suspected the runners were too large for good torque.

DannyVtCa 01-31-2013 02:32 PM

Those gains may be too great to pass up... damn... i need an Eagle intake.

CatMan879 01-31-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 749628)

Can you find this article i would love to read it and i think alot of other people would too.

jeepgcoman 01-31-2013 09:06 PM

Here's a couple references to the magazine. I couldn't find the article on-line though. The title of the article is, "The Poor Man's SRT8". There are also several other great Hemi related articles in this edition. Hope you can find it.

Mopar Now Special Issue On Newsstands - Get Yours Today! - Mopar Muscle Magazine

Mopar Now 2012 Annual Contents

jeepgcoman 01-31-2013 09:49 PM

Dan, overall I don't think you'll gain that much more over where you're at right now. I figure mine is ~350-360 hp at the wheels and you should be a little more with the big heads and slightly bigger cam. The article, "Up on the Cam" (same magazine) addresses how big an improvement can be made by just camming the Hemi, which we both can attest to. They used Comp Cams with 3 different configurations. Comp Cams are the ones that grind the Sidewinder I have in mine. The closest one (tested) to mine is the 268H-13 (268* duration) and mine is 265* duration. That cam pulled 432 hp @ 5700 RPM and 455 lb/ft torque @ 4200 RPM on the engine dyno. This is with stock heads on a Hemi truck engine. Their 273H-13 (probably more like yours) pulled 447 hp @ 6300 RPM and 443 lb/ft torque @ 4500 RPM. With the stock cam (base line) it pulled 383 hp @ 5400 RPM and 419 lb/ft torque @ 4200 RPM. IMO, pretty nice gain for not that much $$$ invested.