Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Locking differentials for my 2011 grand cherokee? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/locking-differentials-for-my-2011-grand-cherokee-53594.html)

jcso0721 01-26-2013 04:05 AM

Locking differentials for my 2011 grand cherokee?

I'm not worried about front lockers but it'd be nice to have them on the rear but of course jeep went with ones that won't allow it. I have the 3.6L with 3.06 gear ratio (215 mm). If anyone has installed lockers or knows of a swap that would work with the independent rear, I'd love to know because I'm getting no help from the deal or shops.

ColdCase 01-26-2013 08:28 AM

Re: Locking differentials for my 2011 grand cherokee?

The pumpkins (mercedes) are too small to accommodate lockers and the metric gears sets have no aftermarket support.

The ESLD axle in the V8 QD is fully lockable. If you want to go there, you'd probably have to swap both axle housings as a different ring gear is used and then be clever about electric control.

It would probably be less trouble and cost to trade for a QD Jeep, but you still would have to deal with the manual control thing as QD is completely software controlled.

There was a lengthy discussion about a month ago focused on the fronts that has some rear end info.

jcso0721 01-26-2013 01:08 PM

I've done a lot of work including a lift kit on this jeep so I doubt I'm trading it. But as a whole the aftermarket for this vehicle sucks . How much do you think it would cost to swap them out ? And how can a limited slip be turned in to a full locker? Do you have the link to the thread with this conversation on the axles because I can't find it. Thanks for your help.

jcso0721 01-30-2013 12:35 AM

Well I thought I'd get a little more input on a forum like this.

Brett 01-30-2013 06:16 AM

If you swap out for the ELSD you shouldn't need to manually control lock.
It is very quick to lock, by all reports.
See link below to the ELSD in the Jeep Commander. Same Deal for the GC, but I think in the latest model the lock response time is even quicker than the video which is a few years old...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1DG-...eature=related

ColdCase 01-30-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett (Post 750705)
If you swap out for the ELSD you shouldn't need to manually control lock.
It is very quick to lock, by all reports.
See link below to the ELSD in the Jeep Commander. Same Deal for the GC, but I think in the latest model the lock response time is even quicker than the video which is a few years old...

What you say about the old gyrotor system is true, but Jeep dumped that ELSD in 2011 and went with an entirely electric motor controlled unit.

The old units used a hydraulic pump driven by the difference in wheel speed to lock and provided electric control to disable lock when brakes are applied (ABS and lock don't mix well). You could install these and they would just work.

The new units have no pumps. They are open until the step motor is driven to lock, there would not be a lock unless you power the step motor (similar to the more modern transfercases). So there is much more to it than just slapping a new carrier in.

The gyrotor type has a bit larger housing and larger bearings, you just cant slap them into the same axle housing as an open diff.

ColdCase 01-30-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcso0721 (Post 748077)
I've done a lot of work including a lift kit on this jeep so I doubt I'm trading it. But as a whole the aftermarket for this vehicle sucks . How much do you think it would cost to swap them out ? And how can a limited slip be turned in to a full locker? Do you have the link to the thread with this conversation on the axles because I can't find it. Thanks for your help.

Over in the driveline subforum:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/wk-fr...wk2-51820.html

ColdCase 01-30-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcso0721 (Post 750648)
Well I thought I'd get a little more input on a forum like this.

I don't think more than a couple of the hundreds of forum members here intend to drive the WK2 where lockers are needed or desirable. Seems like those who wanted the ultimate traction purchased QD equipped WK2s or purchased wranglers where the aftermarket is more active. You can't even gear gears for the WK2, let alone lockers.

jcso0721 01-30-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 750760)
I don't think more than a couple of the hundreds of forum members here intend to drive the WK2 where lockers are needed or desirable. Seems like those who wanted the ultimate traction purchased QD equipped WK2s or purchased wranglers where the aftermarket is more active. You can't even gear gears for the WK2, let alone lockers.

500 is all that's needed according to ARB. If they get that many messages from Wk2 owners, supposedly they will start the aftermarket parts for it. I'm not a hardcore offroader but it would be nice to be able to keep up with the stock fj's at the ohv park. The only thing separating them and the tacomas is the rear locker they had to engage.

Brett 01-30-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 750755)
What you say about the old gyrotor system is true, but Jeep dumped that ELSD in 2011 and went with an entirely electric motor controlled unit.

The old units used a hydraulic pump driven by the difference in wheel speed to lock and provided electric control to disable lock when brakes are applied (ABS and lock don't mix well). You could install these and they would just work.

The new units have no pumps. They are open until the step motor is driven to lock, there would not be a lock unless you power the step motor (similar to the more modern transfercases). So there is much more to it than just slapping a new carrier in.

The gyrotor type has a bit larger housing and larger bearings, you just cant slap them into the same axle housing as an open diff.

I sort of meant swapping out the whole diff, but that would be pretty expensive I suppose.

Good info about the new ELSD Coldcase. So an an electric motor would be quicker to lock right? Do you a link to any info on the new ELSD? On have the Eaton website they still refer to the EGerodisc as the ELSD used in the Grands, and the description lists it as hydraulically operated, so I guess this is the older version...