Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - ZJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f78/)
-   -   1996 Cherokee Larado - Oil Filter Adapter Removal (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f78/1996-cherokee-larado-oil-filter-adapter-removal-53598.html)

Higgns 01-26-2013 08:15 AM

1996 Cherokee Larado - Oil Filter Adapter Removal

Have a 1996 Cherokee Lorado 4.0 and the Oil Filter Adapter is leaking oil. Have tried to remove with T-60 Torx bit with no luck!

The area is rather tight to work in. Any comments would be appreciated! :)

robpp 01-26-2013 03:44 PM

Re: 1996 Cherokee Lorado - Oil Filter Adapter Removal

they say its t60; does it not fit????

i have heard of trying a t55 might grab.

mine is leaking; i have done research but not tried to repair it yet.

the pics I saw was a t60 that had a outer hex shape and they were able to get a wrench on the outside of the torx. mine torx is round so I am going to have to try a breaker. also I read that jacking it up might give more room near motor mount

GL

Higgns 01-26-2013 05:04 PM

I was using a new T-60 Torx Bit. The problem is there isn't enough room between the end of the torx bit to get a ratched or breaker bar on it! So using the Torx bit, I put a 7/16? wrench on the bit, then wedged a wood shim between the frame and the end of the torx bit so the torx bit would stay straight in the torx if that makes any sence! But I couldn't break the sucker loose.............. Will have to think about this a little further!!!

So I decided to replace the valve cover gasket as it has been leaking all so. Found out that the rear bolts were really loose, so that's why the leak. So I hope a new gasket takes care of that!!!

The job wasn't to bad, but I needed to order a couple plastic parts as I broke them removing the valve cover. Parts are due in Monday afternoon, so by sometime tuesday, I should have that project behind me! - LOL!!!!! Have a conflict of what the VC should be torqued down to! Hope to have that resolved by then!!

Jeeper79 01-28-2013 08:28 PM

When I worked at the jeep dealership we did tons of these. The trick was to use a modified T60 socket. (Remove the torx insert from the socket adapter and cut it down short enough to easily fit in-between the adapter housing and the vehicle chassis). Find the correct size wrench that fits the torx bit. Use the box end of the wrench on the torx bit and a cheater pipe on the other end of the wrench to break loose the bolt. It is a lot easier to do from underneath the vehicle but can be done from above too.

Higgns 01-29-2013 03:18 PM

Re: 1996 Cherokee Larado - Oil Filter Adapter Removal

Thanks for the input! Will cut it down tonight!!!

Higgns 01-30-2013 12:47 PM

Thanks Jeepster79

Worked great.

For those who have to do this in the future, a socketed T-60 Torx only comes in 1/2" and 3/4" sizes, due to the size of the Torx bit.

I purchased a bit at Napa, and it's almost $10. Now what you have to do is, drive the Torx bit out of the socket and cut half of it away. Then cut ~ 1/8" off both sides of the socket. Once that is done, gring the 3 surfaces flat. Now incert the Torx bit into the socket, and using you bench vice, squese the torx bit into the socket.
Now use a BREAKER bar (it has a lower profile) and you will be able to break loose the Torx bolt on the oil filter adapter.

Jeeper79 01-31-2013 08:16 PM

Glad to hear it.. Now another custom tool to add to your toolbox.

Higgns 01-31-2013 09:00 PM

Ya, :thumbsup:

I think it will be a long time before I use it again! - LOL!~

I just wanted to let people how to cut down the Torx and the associated socket!

misfit77 02-20-2013 10:55 PM

I did what Jeeper did.